CoinPeople.com

Solder Removal

RCH07

Hello All;

I have a coin that was installed in some jewlery at one time and I am wondering if anyone has any idea how to remove a small amount of solder left on the coin. The solder remaining is very small and only in one location on the rim of the coin.

Thanks

Blow torch or arc welder but then the coin will go with it naturall. Question is how do you know it's solder? What type of coin is it. solder sticks to metals depending on what type of metal it is. Very soft metals will adhear to solder well again pending on which metals and which solders. There are just as many types of solder as there is types of metals to make it with. Some don't even have Lead in the mixture and some are pure Lead. The so called lead may just be glued in place if part of the original jewlery. If this is a valuable coin, leave it alone. If it is just an average coin, try removing it with a soldering iron and only at the location of the contaminate. However, if a very soft type of solder and a soft metal coin, the solder will spread when heated so make sure it is not a valuable coin.

Further you may try just putting solder on the rest of the coin to make it all even. :ninja:;)

Blow torch or arc welder but then the coin will go with it naturall. Question is how do you know it's solder? What type of coin is it. solder sticks to metals depending on what type of metal it is. Very soft metals will adhear to solder well again pending on which metals and which solders. There are just as many types of solder as there is types of metals to make it with. Some don't even have Lead in the mixture and some are pure Lead. The so called lead may just be glued in place if part of the original jewlery. If this is a valuable coin, leave it alone. If it is just an average coin, try removing it with a soldering iron and only at the location of the contaminate. However, if a very soft type of solder and a soft metal coin, the solder will spread when heated so make sure it is not a valuable coin.

Further you may try just putting solder on the rest of the coin to make it all even. :ninja:;)

I am not sure what the joke is, but my question was serious and I am looking for some suggestions as to how to remove the solder. I believe that I will attempt to remove it with the soldering iron and a soft brush.

As to the value of the coin, I don't know just how much it might be worth but I tend to like the coin and don't want to ruin it. The coin is a Dime from Hawaii, dated 1883 and is in what I would call AU condition.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I am not sure what the joke is, but my question was serious and I am looking for some suggestions as to how to remove the solder. I believe that I will attempt to remove it with the soldering iron and a soft brush.

As to the value of the coin, I don't know just how much it might be worth but I tend to like the coin and don't want to ruin it. The coin is a Dime from Hawaii, dated 1883 and is in what I would call AU condition.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I apologize for my contribution to the joking around. One thing to consider very carefully before you proceed: That coin was altered when it was made into jewelry. Altered coins are damaged coins. Successfully removing the solder would hide the fact that this coin was once a jewelry piece. I suppose that's ethical if you plan to keep it, but may not be if you plan to sell it.

Leaving that consideration aside, I'd be worried that removing the solder would further damage the coin. I wonder if heating the coin with a soldering iron could discolor it while the brush could scratch it.

I'd rather have a lovely coin with a little solder on it than a scratched and "torched" coin that is free of solder.

I haven't tried it, but there are products on the market that are sold to hunters and target shooters as solvents that remove lead build-up from the gun barrels. I think that I'm going to pick some up and see if it removes lead solder from a coin. I'm sure that you'd have to soak a coin fror quite some time...even if it did work as advertised.

In all seriousness, if the coin has value to you, you may want to consider sending it to NCS. I'm not 100% sure, but I have been told that they can remove solder and certain glues from coins.

I haven't tried it, but there are products on the market that are sold to hunters and target shooters as solvents that remove lead build-up from the gun barrels. I think that I'm going to pick some up and see if it removes lead solder from a coin. I'm sure that you'd have to soak a coin fror quite some time...even if it did work as advertised.

Guns and coins are two different types of lead (solder) deposits. With a gun, the lead is pressed into the barrel. With the coin, it is a chemical/mechanical bond. It is possible to remove the solder from a coin, but it takes knowledge and equipment. Mike

There is also a process using acid to take the babbitt (sp.) from bearings off the supporting surface. You may be able to learn more about that be doing a Google search.

I would like to thank all that have contributed to my request for information. I believe that I will attempt removal using a soldering iron and a very soft brush or cloth. If this doesn't work I will just leave it alone.

Thanks again

Bob

Bob, If you're going to do it, get some copper braid solder remover from an electronic supply. You heat it on the solder and it is more recieving of the solder than the host. Mike

thanks for the tip. I'll try it. once I have completed the surgery I will take a photo of the coin and post it on my Omnicoin site.

thanks for the tip. I'll try it. once I have completed the surgery I will take a photo of the coin and post it on my Omnicoin site.

I second drwstr123 on using copper braid solder remover. Its about the least intrusive.

I suggest not using anything with heat like the soldering iron. If your coin is made of anything like Copper, Nickel, Silver, etc. the Solder will spread across the coin if in fact it is Lead or a Lead derivitive. Note that is the method used on copper piping where the metal is heated and the Lead is touched to the pipe and it spreads into the joints. If you've ever installed Copper piping you'ld see that. As to liquids for cleaning gun barrels, they do not remove the buildup of Lead, Copper, Brass, etc., they just help when a wire brush is utilized when scrubbing down the barrels. Even then a harsh buildup off Lead is difficult to remove. I've spent way to many hours trying to remove Lead buildups in gun cylindars. As to a soldering iron remember there are numerous types. Some will heat up in seconds and get red hot while others used in jewlry making are well pointed and usually very slow in heat build up for material spreading control. I've done lots of Silver Solders on jewlry and it spreads fast if not carefull. Again, so much depends on the material of the coin and the type of solder. I still would leave well enough alone.

If you are determined to have it removed, I would suggest sending it to a grading service such as PCGS, NGC, etc. They will charge you but the coin will not be ruined.

If you are going to use a solder gun to remove the solder, get some "solder-wick". It is sold at all electronic stores (Radio Shack, Frye, etc.). Solder wick is a woven copper like material that comes in various widths, from 1/16" to about 1/4". Get the size(width) of solder-wick, that closest fits the solder spot you are trying to remove. The reason is... you are going to put the solder-wick down on the solder, and then place the solder gun on"top" of the solder-wick. The gun should be hot before placing it on the solder wick. When the gun is placed on the solderwick (apply a small amount of pressure) the heat from the gun will cause the solder to follow the heat, which will make the solder flow "up" and into the solder wick. Remove the solder wick quickly after you start to see the solder start to flow into the solder-wick. You may have to repeat once or twice to get it all. If you know someone that repairs printed circuit boards, he/she can show you how to do it quickly.

Bob C.

Hello All;

I have a coin that was installed in some jewlery at one time and I am wondering if anyone has any idea how to remove a small amount of solder left on the coin. The solder remaining is very small and only in one location on the rim of the coin.

Thanks

With all due respect to everyone here who guessed at how to remove the solder, they are all dead wrong. Do not attempt to heat the area of the solder with an iron. When coins are soldered in jewelry applications, the method is brazing and it is done with a torch or in an oven. The solder attached to a silver coin is almost always silver and is almost always hard solder, or .800fine. Soldering silver requires heating the entire piece to solder flow temperature because silver is the best conductor of heat of any metal, and heat sinking is difficult on anything other than light wire or shank stock. Removing solder from a piece of .900 fine silver whether it's a coin or a piece of jewelry should only be done by a qualified silversmith.

Also, be aware that heating the coin to the stage of red heat necessary for causing the solder to flow so that it can be vaccumed up with a bulb will also cause the copper in the alloy to bloom and the coin will then have to be pickled in a heated acid solution to return it to its silver color. Glazing the coin with a boric acid/ethanol solution will reduce the copper bloom, but will also have to be removed by pickling. Removing the solder is going to reduce the eye appeal of the rest of the coin which doesn't have the solder on it.

You should send it off to be restored or leave it alone, but trying to melt the hard solder with a soldering iron will not work and will cause discoloration.

With all due respect to everyone here who guessed at how to remove the solder, they are all dead wrong. Do not attempt to heat the area of the solder with an iron. When coins are soldered in jewelry applications, the method is brazing and it is done with a torch or in an oven. The solder attached to a silver coin is almost always silver and is almost always hard solder, or .800fine. Soldering silver requires heating the entire piece to solder flow temperature because silver is the best conductor of heat of any metal, and heat sinking is difficult on anything other than light wire or shank stock. Removing solder from a piece of .900 fine silver whether it's a coin or a piece of jewelry should only be done by a qualified silversmith.

Also, be aware that heating the coin to the stage of red heat necessary for causing the solder to flow so that it can be vaccumed up with a bulb will also cause the copper in the alloy to bloom and the coin will then have to be pickled in a heated acid solution to return it to its silver color. Glazing the coin with a boric acid/ethanol solution will reduce the copper bloom, but will also have to be removed by pickling. Removing the solder is going to reduce the eye appeal of the rest of the coin which doesn't have the solder on it.

You should send it off to be restored or leave it alone, but trying to melt the hard solder with a soldering iron will not work and will cause discoloration.

More great feedback. As I don't want to ruin the coin and It would appear that I most likely don't have the equipment necessary to properly remove the solder perhaps I should just leave it alone. I don't know the value of the coin but I guess that I could most likely just reduce it by playing with the solder.

More great feedback. As I don't want to ruin the coin and It would appear that I most likely don't have the equipment necessary to properly remove the solder perhaps I should just leave it alone. I don't know the value of the coin but I guess that I could most likely just reduce it by playing with the solder.

As a former engineer in the metals industry, I've been following this thread with some interest. FWIW, I would not try any of the methods suggested. I also would suggest you not "play with the solder". If you don't know what you're doing you will ruin the coin. This may not matter since you haven't revealed what the coin is (gold, silver, copper) and the piece may be of low value. If it is and you don't mind the likely outcome, go for it. Otherwise either leave it alone or send it to the pros - Stockton or NCS. They have the techniques to do this properly with the edge going to NCS.

As a former engineer in the metals industry, I've been following this thread with some interest. FWIW, I would not try any of the methods suggested. I also would suggest you not "play with the solder". If you don't know what you're doing you will ruin the coin. This may not matter since you haven't revealed what the coin is (gold, silver, copper) and the piece may be of low value. If it is and you don't mind the likely outcome, go for it. Otherwise either leave it alone or send it to the pros - Stockton or NCS. They have the techniques to do this properly with the edge going to NCS.

Thanks for the excellent feedback. I believe I did identify the coin in an earlier post as a Dime from Hawaii, dated 1883 and is in what I would call AU condition. I also believe that the coin is silver. I am not going to attempt to remove the solder as I too believe that I would most likely ruin it. I don't know what the value of this coin is but I will leave it alone in any case. Should I find that it is of some high value I might send it out to one of the shops you have recommended.

Thanks Bob