CoinPeople.com

Update on UBS auction 69

bobh

1730 Anna rouble choice VF - $4500

1741 average looking Ivan rouble - $16000

1856 rouble XF - $1000

Thanks a lot. Hmmm... :ninja:

Is that 1856 rouble was a variety ?..or I am completely lost ?

Anyway, thanks a lot for this information. I really appreciate it.

Best regards,

Thanks a lot. Hmmm... :ninja:

Is that 1856 rouble was a variety ?..or I am completely lost ?

Anyway, thanks a lot for this information. I really appreciate it.

Best regards,

The price for the 1856 rouble (Lot 303 at 28,000 roubles/$1000) seems odd and much too high for a coin with a mintage of well over a million pieces. There are no varieties of note although overdates may exist. My copy of the catalogue (off the internet) says VF-XF and perhaps IgorS meant to give this grade instead of XF; this, however, makes the price even more surprising.

I know that 1859–1864 regular silver roubles consistently bring strong prices in high grade, but 1856 ???

RWJ

The price for the 1856 rouble (Lot 303 at 28,000 roubles/$1000) seems odd and much too high for a coin with a mintage of well over a million pieces. There are no varieties of note although overdates may exist. My copy of the catalogue (off the internet) says VF-XF and perhaps IgorS meant to give this grade instead of XF; this, however, makes the price even more surprising.

I know that 1859–1864 regular silver roubles consistently bring strong prices in high grade, but 1856 ???

RWJ

Thank you Mr Julian.

I'm very well aware of the possible overstrikes. Even if that was the case , the coin should not have gone for more than $150. Or I'm again far behind ? :ninja:

I think due to their server, it seems that they have limited space or some sort hence removing it as soon as the auction is over if I am not mistaken. As well as, it's promoting the interested buyers to get the catalogue. Great marketing idea. :ninja:

The second part of your posting is correct: that's how they make you buy the catalog ;)

Now, really, who cares what the prices are there ? When you sell , just name a ridiculous price - it will sell anyway !

Thank you Mr Julian.

I'm very well aware of the possible overstrikes. Even if that was the case , the coin should not have gone for more than $150. Or I'm again far behind ?

I just checked and there is a confirmed overdate (1856/5) for this coin but, unlike the U.S. market, there is no strong demand in Russia for such material at present. I quite agree with you about the price. With the present rising market, however, perhaps nothing will be a surprise.

RWJ

I just checked and there is a confirmed overdate (1856/5) for this coin but, unlike the U.S. market, there is no strong demand in Russia for such material at present. I quite agree with you about the price. With the present rising market, however, perhaps nothing will be a surprise.

RWJ

Well, still it is rediculous for an average VF coin.

Thanks a lot.

Archived