CoinPeople.com

Do you change your area of focus in banknote collecting hobby?

see323

When we first started, we have no direction as to what we collect. The funny thing is that we thought that we have a concrete goal and direction. At the end, we found ourselves offloading most of our earlier collection. We realised that the collected items were not what we wanted. When we started to meet more fellow collectors, we understand our hobby better and thus there may be further changes to our goals. This has something to do with human nature. We change all the time. We may change for the better. When the thoughts of investment started coming into our mind, we realised that we need to change further or venture into other areas of collection. That's what happen.

In my case, I sold most of my coin collection in 2004 and focus on solid number banknotes collecting. Another area of earlier focus were my 20 years old Straits Settlements banknotes collection. I have decided to sell them away. Some of them are extremely rare in condition. They should fetch a good profit for my collection turned investment. I am determine to sell them at a good profit since they are quite difficult to acquire them in today's market. In fact, all the good and rare Straits Settlements banknotes have already been kept by Singaporean, Malaysian and Bruneian. Singapore should have the better ones as they are willing to pay high prices in the earlier days. After all, these notes belong to this part of the world.

Lastly, Banknote collecting is definintely better than gambing and unhealthy lifestyle. So do not change of area of focus totally out of banknote collecting ;)

Do you realised that you have change your area of focus in banknote collecting ? Any opinions and comments. :ninja:

Nope! Haven't changed a thing! The only thing I have changed is how I'll spend my money. My original goal for my note collection is nearing completion with only a handful of notes missing... they cost a TON of money each so I'm looking to add a new series and still haven't figured out what it'll be :ninja:

I've been collecting notes actively since the turn of the century which is a significant portion of my life. So I've had time to get distracted from my goals but with limited money and time, it's harder than you think.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I have changed my focus several times, from general USA notes to Colonial USA notes, then to 19th century stuff. Then banknotes of Scotland ~ an area where I spent a lot of money and amassed a fairly good size collection of several hundred notes at one point ranging from the 1820's-2002, then I lost interest in Scottish banknotes for the most part and sold off of all but the really rare stuff.

Now I collect whatever catches my eye, right now I am focusing on Spanish, Portuguese and Greek banknotes, but I got some banknotes in China that have piqued my interest in China again, and I might even collect earlier Japanese Hanhatsu notes again sometime.

You can see my Scottish rarities here:

My Scottish Banknotes

I think it's pretty safe to say I've changed my area of focus. Quite a few times! When I first started out, my goal was to collect at least one note from every country in the world. My first few pieces were just left over spending money from vacations/living abroad, and as my collection grew I found myself wanting better pieces. I got rid of all of my circulated notes, and upgraded everything to uncirculated. After awhile, I dropped collecting the "very commons", and went for the "somewhat commons", then the "occasionally easy to find", then to the "maybe every once in awhiles".

Soon quantity became an issue. I didn't quite know how to store everything, so I did some research and came up with 3-pocket binder pages made especially for currency. I decided then that each page should be filled with notes from the same country. I'm not sure if it's from being a Virgo, a neat freak, or some type of obsessive compulsive disorder...but I just had to make sure all three notes from the same country were also from the same design series.

Up to this point, I was strictly a "modern world banknotes" person. Somewhere in between, I became a little interested in promotional test notes, and then later with private issues and local currencies. Then, something happened. First, I picked up a few US MPC's. Then a few Confederate notes. Then, the Republic of Texas. I wanted more US notes. Starting with silvers, then legals, then a few numeral notes, and of course a set of colored moderns. I have a set of Hawaii's, North African's, and a few errors on hold now...and I think I'll eventually dip into the large sizes.

Lol...whatever direction my focus is going, it's definitely getting more expensive as I go along! Uncirculated American notes are so expensive! After I'm satiated with this, I'll still be wanting the harder world notes...like Greenland, Palestine, and 1962 Katanga's.

My problem is, I'm eclectic, easily amused, and have OCD. (I like everything, find even more to like, and everything has to be perfect) :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived