CoinPeople.com

Bizarre Note

Tegwin

Hello, I have a really wierd bank note, which is from HONG KONG, but it has 1c on it. The back is completely blank, (i.e white). Is this real. ? I have been told it was like that because the value is so low, it would be worth more than 1c to print on both sides. I looked in Krause and did not find it !!!

Sorry for the bad scanning (scanner playing up )

hk1c.jpg

They like small denomination paper money in China, when I was there last Spring we got notes in change that were valued at 1 Jiao or about the equivalent of a US 1¢.

The government of Hong Kong printed 1¢ notes from the 1940's on up through the 1970's, and all just were printed on one side. They were worth about the equivalent of a 1/5th of a US 1¢ so the cost of printing them was high compared to the face value.

It is possible to find these notes in bundles of 1,000 notes and often times coin dealers will stamp their business info on the back and hand them out at coin shows etc.

To add to ScottishMoney's comments

- These notes did see regular circulation, though by the mid 60s, they had mostly dissappeared due to decreasing purchasing power

- HK 1c notes were first issued in 1941 as emergency small change (There had been no 1c coins issued since 1934, and the shipments of 1941 coins were lost in transit.)

- There are also 5c (green) and 10c (red) notes issued during the reigns of KGVI and EII

- HK fractional notes were demonitized in the early 1990s

- These are definately among the most commonly seen notes in packages of uncirculated world notes

- There are several different signatures on these notes, most are common, while some others are less frequently seen (but not hard to find by any means)

Hello, I have a really wierd bank note, which is from HONG KONG, but it has 1c on it. The back is completely blank, (i.e white). Is this real. ? I have been told it was like that because the value is so low, it would be worth more than 1c to print on both sides. I looked in Krause and did not find it !!!

Sorry for the bad scanning (scanner playing up )

hk1c.jpg

It's not bizarre as in the early 1940, under the King George VI, British colonial countries started issuing banknotes with no serial numbers with the smallest denomination. Here is an example of a 1941 Malaya 1 cent which I sold them earlier in ebay. The quality of the paper is not good. No watermark. There are known modern counterfeit ones but not many around. Larger denomination such as 20 cents are with serial numbers. Other know example of such notes are from Ceylon and many other British colonial countries at that time.

Malaya19411cents-5pieces-Front.jpg

Malaya19411cents-5pieces-Back.jpg

:ninja:

It's not bizarre as in the early 1940, under the King George VI, British colonial countries started issuing banknotes with no serial numbers with the smallest denomination. Here is an example of a 1941 Malaya 1 cent which I sold them earlier in ebay. The quality of the paper is not good. No watermark. There are known modern counterfeit ones but not many around. Larger denomination such as 20 cents are with serial numbers. Other know example of such notes are from Ceylon and many other British colonial countries at that time.

Malaya19411cents-5pieces-Front.jpg

Malaya19411cents-5pieces-Back.jpg

:ninja:

Thanks all, that has answered the question. Its a fun note to keep and I will just put it back in the file.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks all, that has answered the question. Its a fun note to keep and I will just put it back in the file.

You may want to start a world collection on these interesting cents banknote.

Don't forget to share with us in coin people banknote forum on your new acquisitions.

;);):ninja:;);)

Archived