CoinPeople.com

my three centuries contest: we have winners!

A century consists of 100 consecutive years. The 1st century A.D. may be said to have consisted of the years 1 through 100. The 20th century, by this reckoning, consists of the years 1901 through 2000 and would end December 31, 2000, as would the millennium. The 21st century will begin January 1, 2001.

Source: The World Almanac and Book of Facts 1998. World Almanac Books, 1997, p. 312.

The common Western calendar, i.e. the Gregorian calendar, lacks a year numbered zero and begins instead with the year 1. For others, the year zero exists since 1582, with the changes introduced by the Papacy. Accordingly, each period of 1000 years concludes at the end of a year with three zeroes, e.g. the first thousand years in the Western calendar included the year 1000. However, there are two viewpoints about how millennia should be thought of in practice, one which relies on the formal operation of the calendar and one which appeals to other notions that attract popular sentiment.

There was a popular debate leading up to the celebrations of the year 2000 as to whether the beginning of that year should be understood (and celebrated) as the beginning of a new millennium. Historically, there has been debate around the turn of previous decades, centuries, and millennia.

As a side-note to the debate on timing of the turn of the millennium, the arbitrariness of the era itself can be raised. Firstly, the Gregorian calendar is a (secular) de facto standard, based on a significant Christian event, the birth of Jesus; thus the foundation of the calendar has little or no meaning to any non-Christian celebrants. Additionally, the calendar is one amongst many still in use and those used historically. Secondly, adjustments and errors in the calendar (such as Dionysius Exiguus's incorrect calculation of A.D. 1) make the particular dates we use today arbitrary.

However, given that the Gregorian calendar is an accepted standard, it is valid to discuss the significant dates within it, be it the timing of religious festivals (such as the moving date of Easter which Dionysius Exiguus was involved in calculating) or the delineation of significant periods of time, such as the end of a millennium.

Source: From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay, I'll go 1st, 4th, and 21st.

;) We have a winner! ;) Congratulations, Bill. PM me with your info and I'll mail your prizes out tomorrow.

I had my sister draw a number from all posts (more fun than computer-generated, somehow) and she picked #47, which is... Mila_cent! Since I already owe you a donut, this works out great. :ninja: Congratulations to you. PM me, please.

Thanks to everyone who participated, and while I'm at it, thanks for all the help and silly diversions you've supplied during my first year.

I'll start a My New Purchases thread tonight to show you my bizarre selection. ;)

Thank you Marianne! It was a challenge, but your hints were enough to tip me off (coupled with a little luck). I actually charted each guess, inserted your hits at the appropriate place, and narrowed my guess down to a minimum number of probably combinations. Now, does that sound better than blind luck?

It was fun and with that spread in dates, you've got the bug big time. Welcome to first class!

My coins arrived today. Thank you Marianne. I didn't realize we were almost neighbors. I have a good friend, Mary Ann, who lives near you. The package arrived and my first thought was, Mary Ann is sending me coins??? Then my dense mind came out of its fog.

Wow. 1950 Netherlands 1 Cent. That's my birth year. Nice touch!

1873 2 1/2 Guilders, nice silver coin.

1792 Hollandia 2 Stuiver. Well centered, even wear, attractive coin.

and, the best of all, a surprise for an aluminum collector:

$1 Good for from Butler's Cleaners on Crenshaw (that's a maverick token from Inglewood, CA). Phone number is PL9-9144, that puts in back in the 50s or so. And, its struck a few degrees off-center.

Thank you Marianne for a great start to a good day!

I went to look up the definition of "maverick" tokens and got completely sidetracked!

That token was as close as I could get to one of your areas of interest, short of wrapping the coins in aluminum foil. And that might seem... um, demented. I'm glad you like it.

Yep, we're practically neighbors!

I went to look up the definition of "maverick" tokens and got completely sidetracked!

Maverick means it doesn't have the name of the city on the token, in this case the name of the business, the street address, and the telephone number, but no city and state. It is a listed token and well appreciated.

;)Marianne ! I receive my prize ! A 1900 Morgan Dollar !

I couldn't figure why the package was so large...until I open it. :ninja: A stale donut. Made my day ! ;) Thank you so much.

PS: would love to see how you creatively put you collection together. Had the donut with my coffee...yummy.

Archived