CoinPeople.com

Proof Coins

Tegwin

Hello,

I have a couple of questions, I have just got back into coin collecting after a long period. I would like to know a couple of things.

1) I have some proof sets from the 1990's (South African Coins). In those days, they only put the coins into a box with no protective layer or not any any capsules, just slotted them in. It seems now that these coins have become tarnished .. are they still worth something ?

2) Is it advisable to get them put into capsules to protect them further. If so where can I get them done.

Best Regards

Chris

I'm not sure of worth. But I suggest at least dropping by your local dealer and picking up some holders. They could help you get the correct sizes for them. This would help slow any further problems.

I agree but you can also acquire holders on line from places like Whitman Publishing. The people that make the Red Book. If you live in an area where there are coin shows, try them. They usually carry an assortment of items for protection of coins or can point you to a place to uy them. Don't worry about the toning or tanishing just yet. Get them in protective devises as soon as possible.

If the coins have started to tarnish, I'd look at Intercept Shield or similar holders that will protect the surface from contact problems but also have protection from corrosion/tarnish and such. Air-tites is another brand with this type of protection.

Archived