CoinPeople.com

Rare 1901 AP 20 kopecks on eBay ...

RW Julian

I sent the seller of this coin the following question:"How do you explain the fact that there were only proof coins struck for the 1901-AP 20 kopeek series? This coin is obviously not a proof strike; besides, the inside of the ''0'' looks too narrow to me to be genuine."

Today he answered: "It is a proof that was circulated is what I am told by the expert. Regards, MARTY"

I replied: "You need to get another expert!"

Not only the entire date looks wrong, but also the bottom of the wreath. :ninja:

I sent the seller of this coin the following question:"How do you explain the fact that there were only proof coins struck for the 1901-AP 20 kopeek series? This coin is obviously not a proof strike; besides, the inside of the ''0'' looks too narrow to me to be genuine."

Today he answered: "It is a proof that was circulated is what I am told by the expert. Regards, MARTY"

Not only the entire date looks wrong, but also the bottom of the wreath. :ninja:

I sent the seller a note to the effect that it was a contemporary counterfeit. He replied, asking for further details. I explained that these dies did not match the genuine dies and sent a jpeg of a genuine coin so that he could make his own comparison. The eagle tail feathers are badly done on his piece as is the reverse wreath bow, as noted by bobh. I did NOT tell the seller that it was a circulated proof.

RWJ

Not only the entire date looks wrong, but also the bottom of the wreath.

This is a photograph, of an original, that was furnished to the seller:

1901ap20kvt2.jpg

RWJ