CoinPeople.com

What's wrong with this mint set??

LostDutchman

I thought the US Mint Sets were stipped in either blue or red. Blue for Philly and Red for Denver. Looks like it might be a private packaging deal.

I have 2 2003 mint sets with one of the quarters doubled. Funny, I looked at them when the arrived and didn't notice. My daughter did when I gave hers in her Christmas stocking. We checked the other I bought (they arrived together from the mint) and it had the same two quarters doubled. I considered it unfortunate since I had waited too long to return them (I check them more carefully every year now). I have never thought they would command a premium because they are a packaging error and all the coins are okay. These definitely came from the mint, so I know its a packaging error. I haven't replaced the 2003 sets for my daughter's collections. If someone were interested (and think they should command a premium), I'm willing to entertain a trade for two normal 2003 sets. I would probably entertain a reasonable offer! I'm of the opinion, however, that a packaging error is just that, a packaging error.

I'm glad someone answered with the fact that they recieved such a thing from the Mint. There was a guy selling similar sets at the flea markets around here for $4 or $5 each. They too looked like someone just took rolls of the quarters, put them in a plactis Mint looking thing themselves. Now I'm wondering if they were fake sets or from the Mint and no one wanted them. Interesting.

The mint did make packing errors and you have a certain amount of time to return your shipment for replacement. I always inspect what I receive. This time I was in hurry and just did not notice the doubles quarters. Setting them aside for Christmas 3 months later exhausted my return period (and when the mint is out of sets, you can't swap them for intact sets). Oh well, I learned my lessaon and pay more attention now. Of course my daughter, spotted the double quarter in less than 5 seconds. Oh the eagle eyes of youth!

Archived