CoinPeople.com

breadalbane highland whisky token

Hi folks,

:ninja: Digging happily away after a strong signal on my detector, I was expecting an old Australian penny or similar. This old house site in Australia turns up some odd things, however. This time I've found a brass token marked ALEX FERGUSON % Co - BREADALBANE HIGHLAND WHISKY - GLASGOW. Round and 24 mm across. Blank on reverse. milled edge. In lovely condition, all inscriptions very clear, hardly any wear. But how old is it, does it have a value etc ? Could anyone help me with what I've found, please?

best regards, Wal.

Guest Aidan Work

Wal,I have one of those.They were used unofficially as a Farthing traders' token in the mid-19th Century.A few traders' were issuing their own Farthing tokens long after the token era of 1788-1820,which is when most Farthing tokens were released into circulation as a coin.

Aidan.

Hi folks,

:ninja: Digging happily away after a strong signal on my detector, I was expecting an old Australian penny or similar. This old house site in Australia turns up some odd things, however. This time I've found a brass token marked ALEX FERGUSON % Co - BREADALBANE HIGHLAND WHISKY - GLASGOW. Round and 24 mm across. Blank on reverse. milled edge. In lovely condition, all inscriptions very clear, hardly any wear. But how old is it, does it have a value etc ? Could anyone help me with what I've found, please?

best regards, Wal.

Listed as ST604 in Seaby's `Coins and Tokens of Scotland' (1972) as being a late 19th century Glasgow traders token.

One sold recently (october) on ebay for £4.47.

Simmons gallery also had one up for auction in 2005 and 2006. Listed with a start price of £20, it didn't sell on either occasion. The ebay price realised seems to be closer to reality for this item.

Ian

Wal,I have one of those.They were used unofficially as a Farthing traders' token in the mid-19th Century.A few traders' were issuing their own Farthing tokens long after the token era of 1788-1820,which is when most Farthing tokens were released into circulation as a coin.

Aidan.

Aidan.

:ninja: Dear Aidan

I'm fairly new at this e-mail game and hope I'm pushing the right buttons. Thanks for your speedy reply, mate. It's good to know that when I dig up something strange someone can tell me what it is. Once again, thanks from Jill and I

Best regards, Wal.

Listed as ST604 in Seaby's `Coins and Tokens of Scotland' (1972) as being a late 19th century Glasgow traders token.

One sold recently (october) on ebay for £4.47.

Simmons gallery also had one up for auction in 2005 and 2006. Listed with a start price of £20, it didn't sell on either occasion. The ebay price realised seems to be closer to reality for this item.

Ian

:ninja: Ian, mate,

Thanks from Jill and I for your reply about the Breadalbane token. I love history but this is an entire field I knew nothing about. Thanks to you and another member, Aidan, we now have an idea of what tokens are all about.

We look forward to chatting to a lot of the members as time permits.

Best regards,

Wal.

Archived