CoinPeople.com

Uncirculated Bank Notes

Tegwin

Wonder if anyone can help me. I have been collecting coins for some time. but I have now moved my attention more to bank notes so I am new to the whole bank note arena.

I wanted to ask a couple of question about Uncirculated Bank notes... if I may.

1) If they are handled (tocuhed) do they loose their value (uncirculated coins come in packs and covered up so that they cant be touched)

2) How can one tell the difference between an UNC and Circ notes, is it just the serial number. ?

3) If the corners get bent on an UNC note, does it loose its value ?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

1) If they are handled (tocuhed) do they loose their value (uncirculated coins come in packs and covered up so that they cant be touched)

The value of banknotes are very much affected by it's condition. Thus, same as coins, we too have grading as well. The highest grade for coin is BU or Brillantly Uncirculated while banknote have the Choice Uncriculated. You can read up on the grading when you visit some of the banknote websites. American have another set of grading using numbers set by their grading houses such as PMG etc. Usually when we handle banknotes, place them in non-oil based plastic holder. You can use the German Lighthouse brand. In my case, I usually seal them up using my sealer to protect them from being "touched" and to keep them away from fungus. This yellowish stain on the banknotes are known as foxing. They usually appear in humid countries as in my country. Yes, any change in condition to the banknote, loses it's value since banknotes are subject to centrefolds and some many folds such as crossfolds, count markings etc.

2) How can one tell the difference between an UNC and Circ notes, is it just the serial number. ?

An uncirculated condition banknotes usually do not have folds, have sharp corners, possible embossing. Beware of banknotes which are water-pressed to keep them straight. Water-pressed banknotes are usually very thin. Some people uses chemicals such as AB solution and special Chinese herbs on the banknotes to remove foxing, stains etc. As a rule of thumb, anything that is done on the banknotes, loses it's intrinsic value as a collector's item. It is possible that a Very Fine grade banknote can be pushed up to an AU grade after going through the washing and pressing. Again it all depend on your choice of collection. Some people love to have nice clean banknotes in their collection. In my case, I prefer original condition banknote for my collection no matter what condition they are in.

Yes, it does loses it's value. Dog ears just like the books have dog ears. Bends are better than folds. There is also a differences in value on light and deep folds.

:ninja:

The value of banknotes are very much affected by it's condition. Thus, same as coins, we too have grading as well. The highest grade for coin is BU or Brillantly Uncirculated while banknote have the Choice Uncriculated. You can read up on the grading when you visit some of the banknote websites. American have another set of grading using numbers set by their grading houses such as PMG etc. Usually when we handle banknotes, place them in non-oil based plastic holder. You can use the German Lighthouse brand. In my case, I usually seal them up using my sealer to protect them from being "touched" and to keep them away from fungus. This yellowish stain on the banknotes are known as foxing. They usually appear in humid countries as in my country. Yes, any change in condition to the banknote, loses it's value since banknotes are subject to centrefolds and some many folds such as crossfolds, count markings etc.

An uncirculated condition banknotes usually do not have folds, have sharp corners, possible embossing. Beware of banknotes which are water-pressed to keep them straight. Water-pressed banknotes are usually very thin. Some people uses chemicals such as AB solution and special Chinese herbs on the banknotes to remove foxing, stains etc. As a rule of thumb, anything that is done on the banknotes, loses it's intrinsic value as a collector's item. It is possible that a Very Fine grade banknote can be pushed up to an AU grade after going through the washing and pressing. Again it all depend on your choice of collection. Some people love to have nice clean banknotes in their collection. In my case, I prefer original condition banknote for my collection no matter what condition they are in.

Yes, it does loses it's value. Dog ears just like the books have dog ears. Bends are better than folds. There is also a differences in value on light and deep folds.

:ninja:

Thanks guys. Best I be careful with my notes then.

Archived