CoinPeople.com

What do you think of this Isabella Quarter?

bobh

Of concern:

- Red on obverse and reverse

- Reverse toning is not even. Orange toning should not merge into blue.

- To add to the above, there is no clear toning scheme. (merging colours)

AT

• 2 weeks later...
AU, out of Europe, probably real. But it is butt-ugly.

Sold for CHF 650 + buyer's fee of 15%, or approx. US-$600 total. PCGS lists AU at $650, so this is a fairly realistic price, although I wouldn't have gone that high on it. It was advertised as UNC though.

Here's a link to the prices realized. :ninja:

Sold for CHF 650 + buyer's fee of 15%, or approx. US-$600 total. PCGS lists AU at $650, so this is a fairly realistic price, although I wouldn't have gone that high on it. It was advertised as UNC though.

Here's a link to the prices realized. :ninja:

Maybe it looks better in-hand. OTOH, auctions are just shows and shops - coins sell for more than they're worth, less than they're worth and about what they're worth. The trick is avoiding the first.

Maybe it looks better in-hand. OTOH, auctions are just shows and shops - coins sell for more than they're worth, less than they're worth and about what they're worth. The trick is avoiding the first.

I looked at it in-hand before the auction. It also has some rim dings which aren't that noticeable in the pictures. But the color is somewhat exaggerated by the pictures, although not by much. I still think it is very much AT and a problem coin, and I'm a little surprised that it sold.

Aside from a Stone Mountain, this coin and the Old Spanish Trail 50c commemorative were the only commem's of a group of several which were NOT in PCGS slabs. If you ask me, they all probably came from the same consignor, and there is probably a good reason why they aren't in slabs. :ninja:

I also examined the OST with my 10x loupe and found what looked to me like cleaning scratches in the obverse field at 2 o'clock. The toning on that coin is much heavier than in the pictures looking at it in-hand. The OST went for CHF 1'300 (about $1,000 after buyer's fee, etc.).

Archived