CoinPeople.com

Another 5kop1766/3MM overdate

sigistenz

Hi friends, this overdate business got me to inspect my coins again - et voilà, I found another 5kop1766/3MM ! Hit the link and then again on the picture to enlarge.

http://www.sigistenz.com/bilder/5kop1766over3MMbetter.jpg

Although having cared for overdates for years, I had not noticed the overdate on this coin, bought 20 years ago. Do inspect your coins - hopefully you can discover happy surprises, too ! Sigi

Hi friends, this overdate business got me to inspect my coins again - et voilà, I found another 5kop1766/3MM ! Hit the link and then again on the picture to enlarge.

http://www.sigistenz.com/bilder/5kop1766over3MMbetter.jpg

Although having cared for overdates for years, I had not noticed the overdate on this coin, bought 20 years ago. Do inspect your coins - hopefully you can discover happy surprises, too ! Sigi

Very attractive coin. In addition to the overdate, it is nicely detailed for an overstrike on a Peter III 10k. :ninja:

very nice. now i had to go look, and i found this one! i had thought it was 1763, but now you guys have me looking closer. Does this look like a 1763/66? The 1762 10K shows thru nicely, and there is a hint of the Elizabeth 5 Kop. under that, but i cant see the date, no matter how hard i stare. Its hard to tell if its a 6/3 overdate, with so much smashed detail under the date area. anybody think its an overdate?

Hi akdrv, thank you for showing your nice coin. It is, however not MM but EM mint. In the Diakov catalog it says that EM minted from new planchets but also overstruck some of the 10kop1762. Diakov mentions EM overstrikes in 1763, 1764, 1765 and 1767. But not in 1766. Of course there are always new discoveries with Russian coins. But as the last digit of your coin does not display an indubitable 6, it is in my opinion a pretty strange 3 only. Sigi

Ive always thought of this coin as 1763 EM over 1762 over 1758-62, not an overdate. this discussion has me seeing things maybe?

Does anyone have a clear 1763 EM image, for comparing and contrasting of the 3?

Squirrel, your coin is exactly what you had thought it to be. As there are no 5kop1766EM overstrikes reported it is unlikely that your overstruck EM coin is a 1766/3 overdate. The digit 3 appears in slight variants. Hit the link, then from the range of dates hit the 1763, there the 5kopEM, be sure to see both of them as there is a 2nd one below. But there are still more minor variants of the 3. Sigi

http://www.numismat.ru/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi

thanks sigistenz. Ive looked at a few other 1763 EM around the web. a couple on molotok. The same funny 3. it looks like maybe they used the 6 punch to start, and then modified it to a six? Its just that the lower part of the 3 is so close to a 6 on the EM coins, as if the 6 was opened up to make the lower part of the 3, and then a horizontal part added to make the top of the 3. curious.

Ive looked at a few other 1763 EM around the web. a couple on molotok.
Do you have a direct link to the coin section of molotok? I've never been there before ... looks like the Russian equivalent of eBay. :ninja:

FWIW, here's my 1763-EM ... not in great shape, but the date is pretty clear:

http://hairgrove-goldberg.com/Gallery/russ...erina-II-1763em

bobh, where have you been if you don't know what molotok is? :ninja:
I've certainly heard of it before, but knowing that it is illegal to export any older coins from Russia, I had little interest to go there up to now.

Nevertheless, you can't even get anything out of there - since most Russian sellers are not willing to sell them overseas as well as the Russian customs are getting much stricter than in the past ;) I guess it's just good to see what's in there ;)
Именно! ;)

I've certainly heard of it before, but knowing that it is illegal to export any older coins from Russia, I had little interest to go there up to now.

Molotok is interesting. I look there on an irregular basis, so might miss a lot.

However, the times I have gone there, I have been been amazed at the asking prices which generally seem much higher than those seen in major Western auctions.

On the other hand, I haven't seen many coins, except on the low end, actually sell on Molotok on the occasions I have looked there.

I'm not sure what, if anything, that really means.

I think it might mean that the owners of the coins list them on Molotok, not with any expectation of selling them there, seeing it as cheap advertising to let people know what is available and that any actual sale for the top end stuff takes place privately, possibly at lower prices.

Additionally, Molotok seems at least as bad as ebay when it comes to fakes being offered as genuine.

Archived