CoinPeople.com

German 1652 NEED EVALUATION

pancakes_on_broadway

Click on "my control" at the top of the page the look on the left side of the Page you will see "Invision Gallery" click on "your Albums" Create Album. you will now have an Album under Controls scroll down to upload picture Then let us know the name of the picture and we will find it. . . .

Hi. I have a German 1652 Royal Empire coin (Ferdinand III) that I need an evaluation for. It's in XF condition. I cannot attach the image to this post... so if you need to see it, then I will email it to you... my address is pancakes_on_broadway@hotmail.com if anyone needs to contact me.

Thanks

Here's the coin in question. It purports to be a 1/4 thaler from Bremen. However, my 1st edition KM for 1601 -1700 only lists a 1/4 thaler for 1651, and it is exceedingly rare. My first impressions are that this coin is a fake but if anyone has a more recent edition it might be in there........anyone (?)

coin.JPG

coin.JPG

I know next to nothing about German coins, but in my opinion the appearance is very similar to the fakes of Russian coins sold in eBay.

However, my 1st edition KM for 1601 -1700 only lists a 1/4 thaler for 1651, and it is exceedingly rare.

I haven't found any info on quick search, but I wouldn't judge because of KM. KM is far from to accurate even dealing with XXc. And it seems they're going to keep their mistakes in the future editions.

I haven't found any info on quick search, but I wouldn't judge because of KM. KM is far from to accurate even dealing with XXc. And it seems they're going to keep their mistakes in the future editions.

I'm aware of KM's limitations. However, i'm not basing my concerns about this item being fake solely on its absence from KM. Checking with various auction catalogues (for example, Kricheldorf / Nurnberg/ Rauch) have also drawn blanks. Now then... consider the design elements etcetera...

Definite fake? I can't say for sure. Probable fake? Most definitely. :ninja:

Ian

Here's the coin in question. It purports to be a 1/4 thaler from Bremen. However, my 1st edition KM for 1601 -1700 only lists a 1/4 thaler for 1651, and it is exceedingly rare. My first impressions are that this coin is a fake but if anyone has a more recent edition it might be in there........anyone (?)

The 3rd edition of Krause also lists only 1/4 thaler of 1603 and 1651. What is more important, the design of this 1652 piece differs greatly from the photo in Krause: the eagle's tail on rev. and the key and the crown on obv. are different. IMHO this is a fantasy fake.

Archived