CoinPeople.com

HELP Identifying Coins, etc.

PinkCelebrity

Hello All,

I'm a new member of the group. A friend of my grandmother's has collected coins for many years, and has decided that she would like to sell them. I told her I would do so for her. I'm trying to figure out what the coins are worth...would anyone here be able to help me? I'd like to keep this discussion right out in the open, on the threads, to make sure that I am not contact by a single individual that might not have my grandmother's friend's best interest at heart. I've done research on eBay using completed sales and have found some information out that way. I've also googled what I have in my posession, but there are so many variances on any given coin, that I'm kind of unsure as to determine the actual worth. Would anyone be able to offer any help here? I could take pictures of what I have and post them...or however you may go about it. I apologize in advance if this kind of thing isn't welcome here. I would appreciate all the help you may offer.

Thanks!

PinkCelebrity

The best solution is to show the coins at some reputable dealers from your area. They can evaluate pretty well... or you can simply put the coins on ebay. Quality coins will be hunted by collectioners and the prices will be fair. What we can do for you if your grandmother's collection contains several hundreds of different coins??? Hmmmm...

A lot of the coins you should be able to clip thru fairly fast. First get a red book. This will give you at least an idea. Get some cups. Separate by denomination, then year group. (I.E.) maybe every ten years. I long distance helped a friend of mine this way. At first he thought it would take for ever, but with a little bit of of work each nite he made it thru okay. (A little over 800 coins.)

Hey Peeps...thanks very much for this information...I'm going to gather a list of the coins that I have right now (we are doing this in incriments) and get back to you. From there, I can absolutely take photos if that would help even further...I just want to get what I have out there, and then you all can advise me from there...be back in a bit with the list...Thanks!

Great...thanks for letting me know that!

Here is the info on the first batch of coins that I'm going through:

US MINT - 1993 Bill of Rights Commemorative Coins ~ Two-Coin Uncirculated Set

US MINT - 1995 Special Olympics World Games Silver Dollar

NATIONAL COLLECTOR'S MINT - 2001 $1 Silver Certificate

UNITED STATES COMMEMORATIVE GALLERY - 2000 American Eagle Commemorative Half Poind Coin (Proof) .999 Pure Silver

UNITED STATES COMMEMORATIVE GALLERY - The U.S. Mint's Largest and Smallest Dollar Coin (2002 American Eagle & 1999 Susan B. Anthony)

UNITED STATES COMMEMORATIVE GALLERY - Rare Coins of the 19th Century (2-Cent Piece 1864-1873, 3-Cent Piece 1865-1889 & Large Cent Piece 1793-1857)

THE AMERICAN HISTORY SOCIETY - 1880 Silver Dollar (I think it's Morgan?)

Ok, there you have it...please advise as to what I should do next. Thanks again for all the help!

PinkCelebrity

Archived