CoinPeople.com

Help wanted with 1850 victoria coin

Sagebomb

My brother found this coin while doing some landscaping, unfortunatly its fairly corroded as it was found about half a metre under ground

all i can make out is its 1850 victoria, all my net searches have not matched both sides of the coin, so i was wondering if anyone could give me better info on what it is.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/sag...pg?t=1168411456

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/sag...pg?t=1168411654

any help is greatly appreciated

Guest Aidan Work

Sagebomb,there is a lot of interest in the traders' tokens from both Australian & New Zealand collectors,like myself,as in a sense,these were actually the first Australian coins.

New Zealand also had a traders' token issue as well.I do collect them myself,but there are some rarities such as the Morris Marks 1d. from Auckland,which is unique in 2 respects - being the only brass piece of the series,plus it also is the only one that has a milled edge.

I do have a few scarce pieces such as the Lipman Levy 1/2d. & 1d. from Wellington.I was given a holed example of the Lipman Levy 1d. a few years back for around NZ$20 by a friend who sadly passed away back in November 2004.A friend in the numismatic trade gave me a holed example of the Lipman Levy 1/2d. a few years back as a free gift,as I helped him out,plus bought quite a bit of stuff off him.

Aidan.

New Zealand also had a traders' token issue as well.I do collect them myself,but there are some rarities such as the Morris Marks 1d. from Auckland,which is unique in 2 respects - being the only brass piece of the series,plus it also is the only one that has a milled edge.

Aidan.

hey mate, cheers for the repley

Yeah i would like to get basically one of each type of coin nz has issued (just a dream but a good ambition)

Prior to this piece my bro found my earliest coins where mostly early 1900's so i was really happy with this find

Guest Aidan Work

Sagebomb,New Zealand's first proper coins were issued in 1933,but there are also some scarce pieces,including the very controversial 2004 5c. coin,which got a bit of coverage on T.V. & on TradeMe.Prior to 1933,it was all British coins that were legal tender,but Aussie coins were in circulation,albeit,illegally,from 1910.The Aussie gold 1/2 & 1 Sovereign coins were the only Aussie coins that were ever legal tender in New Zealand.

Personally,I reckon the traders' tokens are much more interesting than the coins.I have always been a very strong critic of the Reserve Bank of New Zealand's issuing policies,especially with regards to all those medal-coins that are churned out.Collectors have been ripped off by the R.B.N.Z. for years.Fortunately,I am not one of them.

Aidan.

Archived