CoinPeople.com

Whate does uncirculated mean?

mjc

Does the term 'uncirculated' mean that the coin was never placed in circulation, i.e sent directly from the mint to the collector? Or does a coin sent to a bank an then to a collector qualify? Or does it mean only that there is no visible wear and may have been circulated from mint to bank and to a few people before being obtained by a collector?

Or does it mean only that there is no visible wear and may have been circulated from mint to bank and to a few people before being obtained by a collector?

That is probably closest to the real definition of uncirculated.

UNC, to me, is more of condition than usage.

Most of the time, an uncirculated coin is produced by the mint with the intention of the coin going into circulation - they do not care if it hits a collector's hands right away or travels to millions of pockets.

An uncirculated coin is a coin that has travelled so lightly that it appears to come right off the press even if it has been in collections for as many as 200 years. Sometimes you find a coin that has travelled as pocket change but somehow escaped unscathed. Or maybe a collector did pick it right out of a mint-sewn bag.

Don't forget the mint has been producing uncirculated sets of coins from each mint and of each denomination especially for collectors for years.

"Uncirculated" means a coin that hasn’t been in circulation i.e. does not show any wear even to its high points. You can still find coins that are hundred's of years old in uncirculated condition, it has nothing to do with buying from the mint or banks.

In the US the term MS (Mint State) is given to uncirculated coins i.e. still in the state it left the mint. When grading companies slab/grade coins the uncirculated grade ranges from MS60-MS70. MS70 being perfect.

You do often however get uncirculated coins with slight scuffs; these are referred to as "bag marks".

Bag marks or scuffs are pretty inevitable on coins that were meant for circulation (not proofs, patterns or trials); because of the way coins are piled together.

You may also hear the term FDC being used this is a French term which stands for Fleur De Coin. It basically means a perfect coin. This term is usually used when referring to proof coins in perfect condition.

I hope this helps.

"Uncirculated" means a coin that hasn’t been in circulation i.e. does not show any wear even to its high points.

Partly yes, partly no. The definition of uncirculated is a coin that shows no wear. Thus an uncirculated coin can be found actually in circulation. It is not at all uncommon or even difficult to find uncirculated coins in the change you receive from the grocery store or the local convenience mart. A coin can sometimes circulate in commerce through several hands before it shows signs of wear. And as long as it doesn't show wear, then it is, by definition, uncirculated.

As GDJMSP said uncirculated is a grade not a condition. These coins aren't

always intended for circulation so it includes many coins that are struck once

and remain as issued.

Wear on a coin always starts from the high points down. The coin will have

luster over the entire surface when it leaves the dies but it contacts other coins

and surfaces with its high points. This sloughs off metal in tiny amounts until

the luster becomes broken at these points. If you hold a coin between your

eyes and a light source and tip it until it is nearly horizontal these high points

will seem to almost leap off the coin. Now tip it back and see if they are as

lustrous as the rest of the coin or are they muted or grey in color. This color

is caused by the luster being worn off so the coin is no longer uncirculated.

Very old coins and medals often have a little light "rub" on these points and it is

often forgiven for them. Beware of coins which have been polished since this

can hide even extensive wear on the high points. It's best to look at a lot of coins

of the series you're interested in so you can learn what unc is supposed to look

like.

True that an Uncirc coin can actually show ware. As noted it is a term used by numismatic people to discripe a coin. Just one of the now separate vocabularies in the World.

If it was taken leterally then a coin could not actually be ever circulated in any respect. Even from the Mint through the mail would constitute circulation I think. Actually even if more than one person at the Mint handled a coin it would now be a circulated coin. If you take an Uncirculated set from the Mint and hand it to a freind, the entire set has now been circulated. Now that I think about it there is no such thing as an Uncirculated coin. :ninja:;)

Archived