CoinPeople.com

Who is the ultimate collector?

Vfox

The ultimate collector in my opinion is not the fat cat who buys 1804 dollars, 1913 Liberty nickels and can put together a complete US date and mint mark type set in BU. To me the ultimate collector is one that is on a very limited budget and yet builds a respectable but small specialized collection. He or she studies and researches the items, publishes his findings in hobby journals and may be even exhibits at shows. Some one who knows that collecting is more than just writing checks.

The ultimate collector in my opinion is not the fat cat who buys 1804 dollars, 1913 Liberty nickels and can put together a complete US date and mint mark type set in BU. To me the ultimate collector is one that is on a very limited budget and yet builds a respectable but small specialized collection. He or she studies and researches the items, publishes his findings in hobby journals and may be even exhibits at shows. Some one who knows that collecting is more than just writing checks.

Very well said! :ninja:

IMHO, the first type you have described is not really a collector ... a true collector must sometimes experience pain, as evidenced by the second type you describe. Someone who saves up all year (or more) just to be able to bid on that rare date to complete the series ... only to be overbid by someone else at some ridiculously insane level! ;)

(happens to me all the time, BTW!) ;)

I suppose anyone that collects in any way, shape and or form is the ultimate collector to some degree.

Example:

I have little respect for the stuff the mint has come out with for several years going back to State quarters. However, I have seen many people that NEVER even thought about coin collecting complete the set through sheer dilligence. Many completed the Territories and some will do the National parks.

Not my cup of tea but my hat's off to these people. We're talking about over 20 years here when most are buying quarters worth just that. A quarter.

JMHO

The ultimate collector loves and appreciates their coins for their beauty, their history and their personal meaning. By that measure some of the coins I enjoy the most are far from the most expensive or even desirable to other collectors - but rather how they touch me personally. I have beat up common coins that have been in my family for over 120+ years that mean a lot more than the beautaceous coins I have blown lots of dosh on.

Archived