CoinPeople.com

What do you make of this coin?

bobh

Lots of interesting things going on here:

1793-AM (recent acquisition of mine)

I can't find a reference to any overdates for this year and MM. The whole coin shows massive doubling on all the devices, some of which appear to have been struck through a foreign object (crowns and eagle necks). But it definitely looks like 1793/2 to me.

What do you think? Thanks for looking. :ninja:

Looks like a loose double-struck to me.

Doubtful -- how could the apearance of 2 be created by a "loose double-strike"? I see a 3/2 overdate. However, the 2 on my 1792 looks a bit different than design of your overdated 2, while the die of my 1793 is a twin of your coin's die. But, there was a multitude of different dies...

As to AM overdates -- they are not that rare. I have a 1790 with 9/8. I also have a 1794 with a 4 over something. Could be a 3 or a 0. My 1793 is also doublestruck, but it is definitely not an overdate. Interesting coins these AM's Especially with an overdate :ninja:

P.S. Brekke suplement lists a 5 kop 1793/2 AM under #98

Lots of interesting things going on here:

1793-AM (recent acquisition of mine)

I can't find a reference to any overdates for this year and MM. The whole coin shows massive doubling on all the devices, some of which appear to have been struck through a foreign object (crowns and eagle necks). But it definitely looks like 1793/2 to me.

What do you think? Thanks for looking.

This appears to be 1793/2. The new figure (3) was sunk too deeply into the die and did not come up properly when the coin was struck.

RWJ

Hi bobh, see here my 5kop1792AM, 5kop1793/2AM, 5kop1793AM. Click on the pictures to enlarge. As has been said, there are minor die variants possible throughout every date. Best, Sigi

http://www.sigistenz.com/bilder/5kop1792AM...ver2,1793AM.jpg

Hi bobh, see here my 5kop1792AM, 5kop1793/2AM, 5kop1793AM. Click on the pictures to enlarge. As has been said, there are minor die variants possible throughout every date. Best, Sigi

http://www.sigistenz.com/bilder/5kop1792AM...ver2,1793AM.jpg

Great coins -- thanks very much, Sigi! :ninja:

Thanks for your topic, Bob! :ninja:

After reading it, I noticed on my 5 kopek 1793 AM the same pattern (1793/2 AM overdate, Brekke #98 suppl):

5k93ammi2.th.jpg5k93amfragmentkv1.th.jpg

Interestingly, I noticed that my 5 kopek 1791 AM piece may be an overdate too:

5k91amdq6.th.jpg5k91amfragmentem2.th.jpg

Is it really the 5 kopek 1791/0 AM overdate (Brekke #91 suppl), or is it just the strange digit "1" with a big foot? (not common for 1791 AM)

BTW, these are not very common coins, according to Brekke. He lists them as scarce (.) and rates them at 40 USD in VF (1997, the prices were quite different ;) )

Thanks for your topic, Bob! :ninja:

After reading it, I noticed on my 5 kopek 1793 AM the same pattern (1793/2 AM overdate, Brekke #98 suppl):

5k93ammi2.th.jpg5k93amfragmentkv1.th.jpg

Interestingly, I noticed that my 5 kopek 1791 AM piece may be an overdate too:

5k91amdq6.th.jpg5k91amfragmentem2.th.jpg

Is it really the 5 kopek 1791/0 AM overdate (Brekke #91 suppl), or is it just the strange digit "1" with a big foot? (not common for 1791 AM)

BTW, these are not very common coins, according to Brekke. He lists them as scarce (.) and rates them at 40 USD in VF (1997, the prices were quite different ;) )

Hard to say about the 1791/0 ... it could be; however, the remnants of the "0" end abruptly, seemiingly without a trace, except for the part around the foot of the "1". Usually there is some kind of shadow remaining. It could also be die cracks or a cud of some kind on the right. I think it would be good to compare it with a known example, which unfortunately I do not have.

And thanks for the price information! ;)

Hard to say about the 1791/0 ... it could be; however, the remnants of the "0" end abruptly, seemiingly without a trace, except for the part around the foot of the "1". Usually there is some kind of shadow remaining. It could also be die cracks or a cud of some kind on the right. I think it would be good to compare it with a known example, which unfortunately I do not have.

And thanks for the price information! :ninja:

Here is the "etalon" for 5 kopek 1791 AM (no overdate)

cavideu0.th.jpg

You can see, that the digit "1" in "91" has usually a small foot.

Archived