CoinPeople.com

Hi Fellow Coiners... I'm new and have a question?

Firefighter23

Hi I'm new to this site and collecting in general! I was curious on how everyone gets such close pictures on coins? I try but cant get any closer than just the basic coin.. I see some pics of people having pictures of it zoomed all the way into the letter, with it being quite clear. I really need to know this, because I have just started collecting two months ago and have a few questions on coins that I would need to post a picture of. I appreciate any help from anyone!! Thank You!!

~Firefighter~

Practically any digital camera with a macro setting feature will take great closeups of coins. Remember to use a tripod or a copy stand. Small sturdy tripods are available many places for very little money. You don't need a professional outfit to get great shots.

Practically any digital camera with a macro setting feature will take great closeups of coins. Remember to use a tripod or a copy stand. Small sturdy tripods are available many places for very little money. You don't need a professional outfit to get great shots.

Unless you have rock steady hands like Tiff. I don't know how she does it!

A tripod is a valuable tool. The one I use was like $20 at Sams Club. There was a smaller model but I wanted the larger one so I could use it for my fish tanks, outdoors, etc.

You don't need to be a professional to get good shots. Those really nice photos you see, those people probably took 10+ photos before they got it "just right". I've taken 30 shots of my proof SF Mint commem and still haven't got it right. :ninja:

Go with a camera if at all possible. A scanner does wonders for notes but so-so with coins. A lot of times scanners can't pick up luster or the true color of a coin. It leaves the coin looking flat and dull. Cameras take a bit more work but the final product is excellent.

yeah...macro is the key...a tripod...a nice light source...thats about it. If you dont have a tripod...you can still get a good shot. When I didnt have a tripod I did a rapid shot (hold the button down to get like 10-15 shots in a row) and you are bound to get one that isnt blurred :ninja: But a tripod is easier...

Lots of things to try. First of all do you have a digital camera? If not best to buy one. No need to start with something expensive. Just make sure if you go out to buy one that is has a feature called Macro. Check to see if it has a treaded hole in the bottom for a tripod. Make sure it has a removable card for the photographs. If possible, check to see if it has the ability to change the ASA (ISO) rating. If the camera has a removable card, try to get one that is standard such as SD, XD or Compact Flash. With this feature you can take hundreds or even thousands of photos as an experiment. Some SD, XD and Compact Flash cards are now standard at a 1 or 2 gig rating. This would mean if your camera can take a photo at about 6 megapixels you can take up to 1,331 photos with a 2gig card.

However, you can also learn a lot if you go to a web site called TableTopStudio and click on coin photography techniques. Good luck and welcome to the world of coins.