CoinPeople.com

Scans of new notes needed for Inside IBNS

Owen Linzmayer

Greetings all,

I am the volunteer editor of Inside IBNS, the quarterly printed newsletter for the International Bank Note Society (www.theIBNS.org), a non-profit organization with approximately 2,000 paper money collectors worldwide.

We always strive to include detailed images of new notes in the newsletter. As such, if you have any of the notes listed below, could you please send 300-dpi, 100% actual size, full-color scans of the front and back of these notes, saved as uncompressed JPEG?

In recognition of your contribution, I will publish the following next to any scans you provide: Courtesy of YOUR NAME (YOUR URL).

I look forward to your prompt reply to this request. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Happy new year!

--

Owen W. Linzmayer (IBNS member 7962)

Editor, Inside IBNS

2227 15th Ave.

San Francisco, CA 94116-1824 USA

Bhutan (www.rma.org.bt)

1 ngultrum, 2006. Issued November 20, 2006. First in its new “Series 2006” of redesigned notes which will also include 5, 20, and 500 ngultrum denominations.

Brazil (www.bcb.gov.br)

2 reais, ND. Like Pick 249, but new signatures (Guido Mantega, Ministro da Fazenda; Henrique Meirelles, Prescente do Banco Central do Brasil).

Brunei

500 ringgit, ND (2006). Issued December 28, 2006. Orange. Pink and gold flower as clear window, transparent window embossed HB500, al-Marhum Sultan Haji Omar ‘Ali Saifuddien Sa’adul Khairi Waddien as portrait and wmk, red crest on gold patch of 16 petals, novel serial numbering, leaves as registration device. Mosque on back. Polymer. Printer: NPA.

10,000 ringgit, ND (2006). Issued December 28, 2006. Green and brown. Green and magenta 10-pointed star as clear window, transparent window embossed 10K, Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah as portrait and wmk, red crest on gold patch, novel serial numbering, 8-pointed star as registration device. Mosque on back. Polymer. Printer: NPA.

Burundi (www.brb.bi)

10,000 francs, 01-05-2006. Like Pick 43, but new date and new signatures.

Canada (www.bankofcanada.ca)

5 dollars, 2006. Issued November 15, 2006. Like Pick 101, but new date, new signatures (P. Jenkins, Senior Deputy Governor; and D.A. Dodge, Governor), and additional security features, including metallic holographic stripe, watermark portrait, windowed color-shifting security thread, registration device, and enhanced fluorescence under UV light. Gone are the iridescent maple leaves and latent image of the denomination that appear on Pick 101. To increase its durability, the upgraded $5 note is printed on a slightly heavier paper and is coated with a protective varnish.

Colombia (www.banrep.gov.co)

1,000 pesos, 1° de noviembre de 2005. Issued November 17, 2006. Like Pick 450, but new date, new signatures (UNKNOWN, Gerente General; UNKNOWN, Gerente Ejecutivo), and smaller size. 130 x 65 mm.

2,000 pesos, 7 de marzo de 2005. Issued November 17, 2006. Like Pick 451, but new date, new signatures (UNKNOWN, Gerente General; UNKNOWN, Gerente Ejecutivo), and smaller size. 130 x 65 mm.

Cuba (www.bc.gov.cu)

5 pesos, 2004. New date. Like Pick 116.

10 pesos, 2004. New date. Like Pick 117.

Egypt (www.cbe.org.eg)

100 pounds, 26.4.2006. Like Pick 67, but new date and new signature (Farouk Aloukda).

Ghana (www.bog.gov.gh)

20,000 cedis, 4th August 2006. Like Pick 36, but new date.

India (www.rbi.org.in)

10 rupees, 2006. Like Pick 89, but new date, new signature (Dr. Y. V. Reddy, Governor), and without inset letter.

100 rupees, 2006. Like Pick 91, but new date, new signature (Dr. Y. V. Reddy, Governor), and inset letter E.

Ireland, Northern (www.ulsterbank.ie)

5 pounds, 2006. Issued November 27, 2006. Football (soccer) star George Best. 1 million notes issued.

Jordan (www.cbj.gov.jo)

10 dinars, 2004. Like Pick 36, but new date and new signatures.

Liberia (www.cbl.org.lr)

20 dollars, 2006. Like Pick 28, but new date and signatures (J. Mills Jones, Governor; Antoinette Sayeh, Minister of Finance).

100 dollars, 2006. Like Pick 30, but new date and signatures (J. Mills Jones, Governor; Antoinette Sayeh, Minister of Finance).

Mexico (www.banxico.org.mx)

50 peso, 7 Sept 2005. Issued November 21, 2006. Series C. Signatures: Everardo Elizondo Almaguer, Junta de Gobierno; Raul Valdes Ramons, Cajero Principal. Polymer.

50 peso, 2006. Issued November 21, 2006. Series D. Signatures: Jose Julian Sidaoui Dib, Junta de Gobierno; Raul Valdes Ramons, Cajero Principal. Polymer.

20 peso, 9 Nov. 2005. Like Pick 116, but series X and signature: Raúl Valdés Ramos, Cajero Principal.

Nepal (www.nrb.org.np)

20 rupees, ND (2006). Issued October 20, 2006. Like Pick 47, but different text at center, new date, and signature 16: Bijay Nath Bhattarai, Governor.

Nicaragua (www.bcn.gob.ni)

20 cordobas, March 3, 2006. Like Pick 192, but new date and signatures.

50 cordobas, March 3, 2006. Like Pick 193, but new date and signatures.

100 cordobas, March 3, 2006. Like Pick 194, but new date and signatures.

500 cordobas, March 3, 2006. Like Pick 195, but new date and signatures.

Papua New Guinea (www.bankpng.gov.pg)

20 kina, ND. Like Pick 27, but without 30th anniversary seal and new signature for treasury secretary. Polymer.

Peru (www.bcrp.gob.pe)

10 nuevos soles, 11 de Agosto de 2005. Issued November 14, 2006. Like Pick 166, but new date, new signatures, and new security features: vertical denomination 10 at right in fuschia-to-green OVI, and old color-changing hexagonal planchettes replaced by iridescent stripe with 10 and BCRP repeating to left of portrait of José Abelardo Quiñones Gonzales.

St. Thomas & Prince (www.bcstp.st)

5,000 dobras, 26 August 2006. Like Pick 65, but new date and new signatures (UNKNOWN, Finance Minister; UNKNOWN, Governor).

10,000 dobras, 26 August 2006. Like Pick 66, but new date and new signatures (UNKNOWN, Finance Minister; UNKNOWN, Governor).

20,000 dobras, 26 August 2006. Like Pick 67, but new date and new signatures (UNKNOWN, Finance Minister; UNKNOWN, Governor).

50,000 dobras, 26 August 2006. Like Pick 68, but new date and new signatures (UNKNOWN, Finance Minister; UNKNOWN, Governor).

Romania (www.bnro.ro)

200 lei, 1 decembrie 2006. Orange. Lucian Blaga (1895-1961) as portrait and wmk, poppies, open book with page from poems Self-portrait and 9 May 1895, coat of arms, NBR logo, signatures (Mugur Isarescu, Governor; UNKNOWN, Head Cashier), transparent window with pen and 200 embossed, denomination in gold-to-green OVI, registration device, security thread, and microperforations. Neolithic statue of the Thinker of Hamangia, rainbow, water mill with NBR latent image, sessile oak, NBR logo, vertical serial number in black, horizontal novel serial number in red, and iridescent stripe on back. Polymer. 150 x 82 mm.

Scotland, Clydesdale Bank (www.cbonline.co.uk)

20 pounds, 25th March 2006. Issued December 21, 2006. Like Pick 228f, but RB prefix, new bank logo, Bruce’s original heraldic shield plus 700th anniversary 1306 - 2006 at right, and 700th anniversary of the enthronement of Robert the Bruce as King of Scots, which took place at Scone Palace on 25 March 1306 on back.

United States (www.federalreserve.gov)

20 dollars, 2006. Issued October 23, 2006. Like Pick 521, but new date and new signatures (Henry M. Paulson Jr., Secretary; Anna Escobedo Cabral, Treasurer).

Uruguay (www.bcu.gub.uy)

200 pesos uruguayos, 2006. Issued November 2006. Like Pick 77, but new date, series C, and new security features, including Pedro Figari as wmk with denomination spelled out in script, iridescent stripe with $200 repeating, and latent image of Artigas, BCU, and 200 in upper right.

United Arab Emirates (www.centralbank.ae)

500 dirham, 2006. Improved security devices.

1,000 dirham, 2006. Improved security devices.

Venezuela (www.bcv.org.ve)

10,000 bolívares, 25.4.2004. Like Pick 92, but new date and series F.

50,000 bolívares, 25.09.2005. Like Pick 83, but REPUBLICA BOLIVARIANA DE VENEZUELA in upper left.

50,000 bolivares, 2006. Like Pick 83, but REPUBLICA BOLIVARIANA DE VENEZUELA in upper left, 2.5-mm windowed security thread, new signatures (Presidente BCV and Primer Vice President BCV), circle in gold-to-green OVI to right of José María Vargas wmk, and denomination no longer fluoresces under UV. Printer: Casa de la Moneda, Venezuela (with imprint).

Zambia (www.boz.zm)

500 kawcha, 2006. New date. Polymer.

1,000 kawcha, 2006. New date. Polymer.

Do you sell Banknote Scans On DVD?

http://www.owenink.com/banknotes/scans.html

Now you can own clear, crisp, cropped, centered, and straightened scans that I painstakingly assembled from my personal collection and contributions from other collectors worldwide.

Beginning in 2006, all new additions to the collection are scanned at 300-dpi, 100 percent of actual size for even greater detail! Over 2,500 images on the disc are in this new format.

It appears that Owen should be ashamed of himself. I hope that akdrv will make a report of this to the IBNS.

it's not clear there's anything for him to be ashamed of. it's entirely possible that he keeps those duties separate ... i just asked as a satisfied customer!

I have dealt with Mr. Linzmayer on a few purchases and I know that he is very professional and trustworthy. I would be very surprised if he were to intentionally violate any ethical code of the IBNS or otherwise. That said, he does offer a banknote scan CD from his site which is separate from his IBNS affiliation. If you feel he is in the wrong, perhaps the best path to follow would be asking him his intentions before blaming him of a breech of ethics, a serious and harmful claim that should not be too hastily made.

it's not clear there's anything for him to be ashamed of. it's entirely possible that he keeps those duties separate ... i just asked as a satisfied customer!

Of course, you are right and I was hasty in my post. I do apologize.

I have dealt with Mr. Linzmayer on a few purchases and I know that he is very professional and trustworthy. I would be very surprised if he were to intentionally violate any ethical code of the IBNS or otherwise. That said, he does offer a banknote scan CD from his site which is separate from his IBNS affiliation. If you feel he is in the wrong, perhaps the best path to follow would be asking him his intentions before blaming him of a breech of ethics, a serious and harmful claim that should not be too hastily made.

So true.

That isn't my original concern. What is more concerning is that having 100% 300dpi scans of banknotes. Wouldn't this be in trouble with most countries' copyright issues, that is in most cases of various countries, the maximum permissiable is a 75% scan for display purposes? With a 300 dpi scan one can make a print - unlikely but possible.

Guest Aidan Work

Owen,the Zambian currency is spelt 'Kwacha',just like the Malawian one.

I can confirm that the Bank of Somaliland (Baanka Somaliland) has recently issued a 1,000 Shillings note.A few of them were on eBay.There were 20,000 notes issued.A note with a red Specimen overprint was also on eBay as well.

Aidan.

Yes, I am the "owenink" guy. One and the same.

I am not trying to pull a fast one or mislead anyone.

I am requesting images for use in the Inside IBNS newsletter.

The vast majority of images contained on the DVD I offer were personally scanned by yours truly. However, as of late, some images are submitted by IBNS members, dealers, and collectors responding to my requests for information on new issues. As promised, I embed the source's name in the image file's metadata and honor requests not to distribute.

I have sold very few copies of this disc over the years; I am not doing it for the money. The $10 nominal fee covers my costs and doesn't begin to pay for the time invested.

The disc is meant for educational purposes only and I believe it's permissible to distribute these images under the doctrine of "fair use."

I welcome further comments and questions.

I have sold very few copies of this disc over the years; I am not doing it for the money. The $10 nominal fee covers my costs and doesn't begin to pay for the time invested.

Hello Owen,

Sorry again about my hasty and incorrect conclusion. My next comment - wow! The disk looks like a wonderful tool for anyone who is really into currency. I'm surprised it hasn't done better in sales. Good luck with it. Glad you decided to stop here. As you can tell we have a lot of currency collectors and always welcome some new information/opinions.

Hello Owen,

Sorry again about my hasty and incorrect conclusion. My next comment - wow! The disk looks like a wonderful tool for anyone who is really into currency. I'm surprised it hasn't done better in sales. Good luck with it. Glad you decided to stop here. As you can tell we have a lot of currency collectors and always welcome some new information/opinions.

No offense taken. Looking back on it, I can see how someone might come to the wrong conclusion.

I started the scanning project a long time ago for insurance purposes. It has proven particularly useful for me now that I have assumed the role of editor of Inside IBNS, especially when I'm trying to determine what's new or different about a new issue.

I wish I had sold more copies, too, but I think there are a lot of collectors who simply aren't computer savvy.

No offense taken. Looking back on it, I can see how someone might come to the wrong conclusion.

I started the scanning project a long time ago for insurance purposes. It has proven particularly useful for me now that I have assumed the role of editor of Inside IBNS, especially when I'm trying to determine what's new or different about a new issue.

I wish I had sold more copies, too, but I think there are a lot of collectors who simply aren't computer savvy.

well, i'm glad you sold me one. i use it at work to put a new note up on my screen every few days. i suppose, if i knew shockwave or flash or whatever, that i could glue them into a screensaver ...

well, i'm glad you sold me one. i use it at work to put a new note up on my screen every few days. i suppose, if i knew shockwave or flash or whatever, that i could glue them into a screensaver ...

Every few days? Ha! I rotate my desktop every minute, and I have it tied into my screensaver if I step away from the computer for a few minutes. It's a great way to reacquaint myself with my collection which remains stored in a safe deposit box.

Do you use a Mac? If so, it's a simple matter to use the built-in screensaver to use the images. Or use DeskPicture to change the backdrop.

Yes, I am the "owenink" guy. One and the same.

I am not trying to pull a fast one or mislead anyone.

I am requesting images for use in the Inside IBNS newsletter.

The vast majority of images contained on the DVD I offer were personally scanned by yours truly. However, as of late, some images are submitted by IBNS members, dealers, and collectors responding to my requests for information on new issues. As promised, I embed the source's name in the image file's metadata and honor requests not to distribute.

The disc is meant for educational purposes only and I believe it's permissible to distribute these images under the doctrine of "fair use."

I welcome further comments and questions.

I am glad that you have come out to give your explanation. Otherwise, we will have doubts of your other intentions. :ninja:;);)

Every few days? Ha! I rotate my desktop every minute, and I have it tied into my screensaver if I step away from the computer for a few minutes. It's a great way to reacquaint myself with my collection which remains stored in a safe deposit box.

it's more complicated than that--i work for a govt agency and we have to use their screensaver (so i can't just point it at a folder full of images like i'd do on my macintoshes at home). the way around the govt screensaver (which exhorts me to not share my passwords, know my onsite security officer, ...) is to replace their .swf (which is part of their screensaver) with one of my own ...

changing my desktop every minute simply isn't practical--most of the time it's covered with stuff i'm doing and nobody would ever see it.

it's more complicated than that--i work for a govt agency and we have to use their screensaver (so i can't just point it at a folder full of images like i'd do on my macintoshes at home). the way around the govt screensaver (which exhorts me to not share my passwords, know my onsite security officer, ...) is to replace their .swf (which is part of their screensaver) with one of my own ...

changing my desktop every minute simply isn't practical--most of the time it's covered with stuff i'm doing and nobody would ever see it.

Ah, that explains it. Sorry, I'm no Flash expert, so I can't help you on that score.

My desktop is usually covered with dozens of overlapping windows, too, but sometimes I spot a nice note peeking out at me and I switch back to the Finder just to look at it :ninja:

Guest Aidan Work

Owen is a very reputable person.I have been in touch with him.He has informed me that the Somaliland 'banknote' that looks like a 1,000 Shilling one has turned out to be a total fantasy.There's a Canadian dealer who is selling them on eBay unaware that both the Government of Somaliland & the Bank of Somaliland have declared the item to be a total fantasy not worth the paper that they are printed on.

Aidan.

• 2 weeks later...
Owen is a very reputable person.I have been in touch with him.He has informed me that the Somaliland 'banknote' that looks like a 1,000 Shilling one has turned out to be a total fantasy.There's a Canadian dealer who is selling them on eBay unaware that both the Government of Somaliland & the Bank of Somaliland have declared the item to be a total fantasy not worth the paper that they are printed on.

Aidan.

Aidan,

Thanks for coming to my defense here. I appreciate it.

Thanks, too, to the forum member who first raised the concern regarding the potential conflict of interest. Upon further reflection on the matter, to eliminate even the appearance of impropriety, I have decided to no longer offer the DVD for sale.

Archived