Post a Pic of Your Oldest Dated Coin Thread

Scottishmoney

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
hungarydenar1508.jpg

When I was a kid I bought an 1822 Large Cent at a state fair once, for a few weeks it was my oldest dated coin until I got a well worn but discernable 1817 Large Cent, a couple of years later I bought a 1797 Large Cent, then went downhill from there after getting into foreign coins.

So far, this coin that I purchased probably 15 yrs ago remains my earliest dated coin from coins dated in the Christian era, a 1508 Hungarian Denar minted during the reign of Wladislaw II Jagiello of Hungary(1490-1516) Hungarian denars because of their great quantity remain the easiest and most affordable way to obtain a very early dated coin.

Please post a pic of your earliest dated coin, perhaps someone has something older than this.

V_1_ob_StGallen_1424Plappart_Obv.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Here's mine: Hungary - Denar - Ferdinand I of Habsburg, 1553.

1553_ferdinand.jpg

Mine would be my avatar. Full Picture here Elizabeth I Sixpence 1573-1574 Eglantine Mint

• 1 year later...

0150.jpg

Rheskuporis V-- King of the Bosporus

AD 323

AE Stater

Obverse- Draped bust of king facing right with a trident in right field.

Reverse- Laureate and draped bust of the Roman Emperor (Constantine or Licinius) facing right, eagle on a globe in right field.

year KX below (620 = AD 323)

Struck at Cherson, in the Crimea (in the north part of the Black Sea)

Anokhin Bosporus 769a

Since this coin is dated to AD 323, the emperor on the reverse could be either Constantine or Licinius, but I prefer to believe that it is Constantine.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, The oldest coins I have come from Carthage 350 BC I have had then authenticated by the British Museum so I know these are real here are some pics of them. The one in the picture dates from 250 BC as it happens. It was the only one I had a picture of at the moment.

SNGCop_185.jpg

• 1 year later...