CoinPeople.com

GB 5 pounds 1990

cowhodan

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if the 5 pounds note of 1990 (George Stephenson) is still legal tender in Great Britain, someone knows?

Thanks

it will be accepted at the bank of england for all eternity, but everywhere else depends on whether or not they feel like it. :ninja:

bank of england

"Some banks, building societies, and Post Offices may still accept the most recent of the notes withdrawn from circulation for deposit to customer accounts or exchange for current series notes. However, agreeing to exchange these notes is at the discretion of the individual institution."

based on that, it doesn't sound like the older series notes are meant for general circulation, since the info only points to account deposits and new note exchanges. heheh...i remember old conversations about how finicky the brits are with their money. notes are supposed to be legal tender throughout the uk, but trying to spend notes from scotland only gets you dirtier and dirtier looks the farther south you try to use them. it's supposed to be even worse if you were to try paying your small-town pub tab in northern ireland pounds. my guess is that they'd know in a heartbeat if you were to try spending an old note series.

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if the 5 pounds note of 1990 (George Stephenson) is still legal tender in Great Britain, someone knows?

Thanks

No, they were demonetised in 2003 when replaced by the 2002 Elizabeth Fry series. Shops and banks will no longer accept or exchange them. The only place to dispose of them now is at the Bank of England in London which will exchange it for one of the new fivers.

To add to my comment above, £1 notes for example cannot be generally spent, but can be exchanged for £1 coins at the BoE.

The last £1 notes were demonetised in 1988.

Talking of the Bank of England, they'll not only exchange any notes issued by they no matter how long ago they were demonetised, but they will also change coins. So it's the place you go to exchange the old 50p, 10p, 5p, 1/2p and any predecimal* coins you may have.

*We're not sure how far back these predecimal coins go, we presume anything 1816 or later, but they might also take the 1662-1815 type too. Although they'll only do it if you have reasonable amounts of the coinage say £100 face value.

i remember old conversations about how finicky the brits are with their money. notes are supposed to be legal tender throughout the uk, but trying to spend notes from scotland only gets you dirtier and dirtier looks the farther south you try to use them. it's supposed to be even worse if you were to try paying your small-town pub tab in northern ireland pounds. my guess is that they'd know in a heartbeat if you were to try spending an old note series.

The problem with Scottish £1 notes is they they are released by the Scottish banks and therefore i'm not entirely sure on the legal tender status on such notes. They are very hard to dispose of, my mother works in a shop and they refuse to take them. I myself have never seen one and i wouldn't take one if i did. Firstly because i wouldn't want to get stuck with it and secondly because i want rid of the fivers, they should be replaced with coins, the last thing we need is to regress back to £1 notes! They have to be kept out of circulation.

Irish money we won't take that, i don't think that's legal tender in England either.

As for the Channel Islands coins they aren't legal tender in England either and thus they are usually turned away by most shops as 'foreign'... infact any coin that isn't minted with the standard UK designs for circulation in the UK itself is usually turned down flat. We have to hide them in piles of similar coins to pass them off at shops, and shops that get conned do the same to their customers.

The position in England is stright forward, if it's minted specifically for circulation in England then it gets used, if it's for anywhere else outside of England specifically, then it doesn't.

The problem with Scottish £1 notes is they they are released by the Scottish banks and therefore i'm not entirely sure on the legal tender status on such notes.

Bank of England notes are the only banknotes that are legal tender in England and Wales. United Kingdom coinage is legal tender, but there is a limit to the amount you can exchange (about 10p in pennies, 20p in 2ps etc).

Scottish and Northern Ireland banknotes, and Jersey, Guernsey, Manx and Gibraltar coinage and banknotes are not legal tender in England and Wales. However, they are not illegal under English law and creditors and traders may accept them if they so choose.

Scottish and Northern Ireland banknotes, and Jersey, Guernsey, Manx and Gibraltar coinage and banknotes are not legal tender in England and Wales. However, they are not illegal under English law and creditors and traders may accept them if they so choose.

i stand corrected :ninja:

i have a buddy going to uni in glasgow, and it looks like his experiences across the border are nothing more than english shopkeepers excercising their right to accept what they want.

Thanks for the replies. I wanted to pay something to a dealer that accepts them, but I saw that there are new issues, so I wasn't sure if it would be accepted.

No problem!! Cool note, if it's in XF or better condition you can get a lot more than face.

What color is the signature?

The note is circulated :ninja: and the signature is blue.

Thanks for the replies. I wanted to pay something to a dealer that accepts them, but I saw that there are new issues, so I wasn't sure if it would be accepted.

The note is circulated  :ninja:  and the signature is blue.

Why what colour should the signature be? I hadn't took much notice.

I know they were either signed by Kentfield or Lowther. Kentfield was the first from about 1990-1998 ish, and Lowther took over till the demise of that design and early into the next series, she has since been replaced by Bailey.

Infact i'm still getting serial runs of crisp £5 notes from the bank machine with the Lowther signature. That should be long gone by now. I was most annoyed when i withdrew £130 and the whole damn lot came out in £5 notes (where were the tens? anyhow all these fivers were crisp, and all in sequence), all were soon folded and disposed so i could buy an 11th century Canute penny.

Getting bank machines that hand out £5 notes is very rare indeed, since minimum withdrawal is £10.

Why what colour should the signature be? I hadn't took much notice.

I know they were either signed by Kentfield or Lowther. Kentfield was the first from about 1990-1998 ish, and Lowther took over till the demise of that design and early into the next series, she has since been replaced by Bailey.

Infact i'm still getting serial runs of crisp £5 notes from the bank machine with the Lowther signature. That should be long gone by now. I was most annoyed when i withdrew £130 and the whole damn lot came out in £5 notes (where were the tens? anyhow all these fivers were crisp, and all in sequence), all were soon folded and disposed so i could buy an 11th century Canute penny.

Getting bank machines that hand out £5 notes is very rare indeed, since minimum withdrawal is £10.

OMG you got them all in fivers!? I NEVER get fivers out of cashpoints. You should count yourself lucky :ninja:

No Oli, John Moore of Brigantia (a small coin/antique stall in the antique centre at York) should think himself lucky he got practically ever single on of them.

I got two more crisp fivers today. To be honest i think that cash point machine at Huddersfield only gives out crisp fivers. Well mostly i've had a few crisp tenners from it too also in serial run. Only had a few twenties from it (but i don't like twenties anyhow) and they were used.

Out of about 50 times i've used it i must say i think 45 of those times i've always had crisp notes. It's a Lloyds Bank machine (i think), i think Llyods are the only company that still give out £5 notes. That's if HSBC don't anymore.

Natwest and Halifax will only give out tens and twenties.