CoinPeople.com

Bunch of Ancient Coins

Cool Hand Luke

I googled "coin collector forum" and you guys came up. My grandfather left me all these coins and wanted to sell them. Most are not in good conditions, but since some say B.C. I couldn't expect them to be in mint conditions, can I? Anyway, here are some pics. I was hoping you could tell me if they are worth something. Thanks in advance.

DSC01907.jpg

DSC01908.jpg

• 7 months later...
I googled "coin collector forum" and you guys came up. My grandfather left me all these coins and wanted to sell them. Most are not in good conditions, but since some say B.C. I couldn't expect them to be in mint conditions, can I? Anyway, here are some pics. I was hoping you could tell me if they are worth something. Thanks in advance.

I hope the tag said B.C., not the coin itself? If you see "BC" on a coin it represents something other than the date, of course. But, I think you meant that the coin was tagged with a date range BC. (Personally I'd love to have a coin from BCE--both my Roman coins are CE.)

I don't know much about these things, but they seem to be bronze or copper Roman coins (my apologies if that's a no-brainer). I see a couple bear the initials "SC", which stands for Senatus Consulto (sp?), meaning minted by the Senate. During the Empire (or for part of that period), as I understand it, only the Emperor could mint gold or silver coins; the Senate could mint only base metals, and so their coins were often marked with "SC". I have one of these myself, from the reign of Domitian (~90CE).

Of course, if your aim is to just get rid of these coins, you could always give them away!! (hint hint) -J/K- Actually, I think jlueke might be right that they're probably not too valuable. If you have a collection they could be a treasured part of it; if not, they might make a cherished part of some other amateur's collection.

Going from the top I think you have:

Imp Titus: Dupondius (the reverse is upside down.) Obv: T CAESAR IMP COS ?, radiate head right Rev: FELICITAS PVBLICA

Imp Maximianus (20 year votive) AE Radiate Fraction Obv: IMP C M A MAXIMIANVS PF AVG, radiate draped bust right / Rev: VOT XX P in wreath

Imp Valentinian Obv DN VALENTIANVS PF AVG Rev: GLORIA ROMANORVM (some form of emperor dragging captive by hair & holding labarum)

Imp Gallienus Obv: GALLIENVS AVG radiate bust Rev: IOVI CONSERVAT Jupiter standing left holding thunderbolt & scepter. X in right field (or some form of this theme...hard to see the details)

Imp Nero As. Some version of 'Victory flying left holding sheild' on reverse (your reverse is again upside down) its hard to tell which exact version of this theme because of picture and coin quality.

Imp Claudius - Reverse is just so worn and not a great pic...cant tell which one...

I am pretty sure these are what you have...most are pretty worn so they certainly wouldny get even close to a premium but you have some big names like Nero, Claudius and Titus whose coins go for a lot of money...in this shape...not so much money.

• 7 months later...
Imp Valentinian Obv DN VALENTIANVS PF AVG Rev: GLORIA ROMANORVM (some form of emperor dragging captive by hair & holding labarum)

Coin number three is actually Valentinian II. The reverse is REPARATIO REIPVB, emperor standing facing, head left, holding Victory on globe in left hand & raising kneeling woman in turreted headdress with right hand.

Archived