CoinPeople.com

Nice AU Saint Listed on eBay

jtryka

Yes, that is my baby! One of the biggest things I miss when moving out to Wabash country from the Northwest since I can no longer work on that locomotive. My uncle did get me a set of DVDs of steam trains with over 20 hours of footage so on my vacation this week I've been watching it, and today there was a small appearance by the 700 in a video about the SP 4449 and UP 3985 and their journeys to the NRHS Convention in San Jose in 1992. As for my personal favorite railroad, it would have to be the Chicago & Eastern Illinois which had a yard near where I grew up. Of course it was absorbed by the Missouri Pacific which was absorbed by the Union Pacific. Kinda sad to think of all the fallen flags around the country.

It's funny how so many lives have been touched by the railroads, my great great uncle was a fireman on the Illinois Central right around the time of Casey Jones. It sounds like you have a great HO set, I have so many HO locomotives, cars etc. but nowhere to run them! Probably the scarcest locomotives I have are an E7 and E8 in CB&Q colors that I use for my two Zephyr consists. I bought them in Billings, MT in 2002 when I was on the crew of the SP&S 700 excursion to Montana. A friend came by as I was working on the locomotive and said I had to go check out this hobby shop with him. I hopped in the car in my coveralls and went to see it. The shop was amazing, and when the owner found out I was on the crew and was putting together two Zephyr sets, he said to come to the back room. He said he'd been saving those locomotives since they were no longer available anywhere and then sold them to me for his cost! What a great trip that was!

I actually have a board, the layout has been boxed for a couple of years, it was stored in another house I own. I also have models of a few SP locomotives, the SP is my other interest - I have ancestors that were working for the SP during the late 19th and early 20th century. I even have a bit of their memorabilia including switch keys etc. I was looking at this stuff earlier, readying for the trip into the bank.

Archived