CoinPeople.com

What variety is this, as well the year?

gxseries

While I thought I managed to catalogue most of my Russian coins, no appearently I didn't do so with some of the super corroded coins.

This is one of them:

911547.jpg

While I originally thought the year is 1704, this would make it to be Uzd 2268 (2nd ed). And today when I checked, for some odd reasons, I have been bothered as it could be 1714 denga, Uzd 2353. I can't quite tell the minor differences - which one would this coin be under?

As well as, I don't expect anyone to tell me what variety this coin could be, all I know it is that's a polushka, probably minted in 1703.

911548.jpg

Dear Mr gxseries,

My advise to you - get rid of those coins if you keep them in your collection along with others. They are corroded with a very dangerous virus. It can easily spread.

The Oldman

Yes, indeed ... you must get rid of these IMMEDIATELY!

I'll be more than happy to take them off your hands; and I'll even send you money for postage to Switzerland! :ninja:

Thanks squirrel. That's a nice one you got there.

Hey geez Bobh and Oldman, when I get rid of those copper coins, what's next? You want me to get rid of my other coins since they are all problemtic? :ninja: I did buy them cheap as the sellers knew that they have problems and I am fine with it. Still looking for a damaged 10 kopek Pavel I coin to finish the nasty silver type set ;)

I'll post a new picture of the polushka tomorrow. I remember grivna1726 noticed something unusual about this coin, which I think is worth mentioning again with the new members this time ;)

They are corroded with a very dangerous virus. It can easily spread.

I do not think so (if by virus you mean green spots which maybe indeed spread even if you keep a nice coin in a holder where 'virus' coin has been kept before).

With such degree of damage the green spots would be clearly visible.

Timofei, I have to admit that this is actually a corroded coin with a fair amount of verdigris in the first place. I had to gently remove most of them using toothpick and later it was in olive oil for almost a good year. Tedious and probably dumb but I prefer to do what I can to preserve them rather them seeing them getting into the metal furnance.

Right now, it's with a lot with other "ex" damaged copper coins so if it wants to spread the damage again, well shouldn't be much problems.

Archived