CoinPeople.com

Hello from the Bayou State

Hello from Louisiana. I am new to coin collecting and willing to learn. As of right now I do not know which coin I enjoy best except I can say all. Thank you for allowing me to join and hoping to learn.

Welcome, Phnxwlf! So what made you start collecting coins?

Christian

I have always had a fascination with coins especially since I was a military brat and got to see many different coins from traveling, but I think what I really like is the adventure of coin collecting. There are so many different coins and so many possibilities that no matter how long you collect them for you will always learn something new. What or who got you started collecting? To those who have welcomed me to this forum Thank you.

What or who got you started collecting?

The mix of old (pre-1950) and shiny new coins in my change. And one time I noticed how our former 2 DM coins (I'm from Germany) had different guys on the "heads" sides ...

The reason why I asked you is, many collectors start with something domestic and inexpensive, such as (for Americans) the State Quarters. In such a case I would usually recommend focusing on one's home turf and maybe going back in time from there.

If you start with a bag (lot) of world coins that somebody gave you, for example, I think that "themes" are more interesting, e.g. birds, cars, flowers. As you already have coins from various parts of the world, that could be an option. But I would limit a collection to a country or group of countries. In my opinion, many people who collect or rather hoard anything that smells like a coin and tastes like a coin :ninja: lose their interest soon.

Christian

Again Thank you for the welcome and to Tabbs I appreciate the advice because I have no idea which coin I enjoy best and that helps with the coins I have now because I Singapore,Bermuda,Spain,Philippines,Turkey,Germany,a few other countries, and American that I have found in circulation and you helped me with direction a direction I could go with. Many Thanks.

Welcome. Poke around here in the archives and you will find many ideas for collecting topics as well as many different ways to collect (thoughtfully, haphazard, hoarding, on the cheap, on the best and most expensive, whatever moves ya, and so on). Just about one of every type of collector is here and everyone enjoys their own approach.

Have fun.

Archived