CoinPeople.com

Get your money ready!

Dockwalliper

At least the first designs are.

banner4FirstSpouses.jpg

The Martha Washington reverse was designed by Susan Gamble of Arlington, Virginia, an Artistic Infusion Program (AIP) Master Designer. The image was sculpted by Don Everhart, a United States Mint sculptor-engraver. The reverse design depicts the future First Lady sewing a button onto her husband's uniform jacket. During the Revolutionary War, Martha Washington's concern for the colonial soldiers earned their lasting respect and admiration.

The Abigail Adams reverse was designed by Thomas Cleveland of Houston, Texas, an AIP Master Designer. The image was sculpted by Phebe Hemphill, a United States Mint medallic sculptor. In one of her most memorable letters, Mrs. Adams requested that her husband "remember the ladies" when creating the new Republic. That inscription is on this coin. John Adams acknowledged that Abigail Adams had as much political insight as any of his colleagues, and that he valued her counsel above all others.

The reverse of the Thomas Jefferson coin was designed and sculpted by Charles Vickers, a United States Mint sculptor-engraver. The reverse design depicts Thomas Jefferson's monument, located on the grounds of his Monticello estate. Jefferson is widely recognized for his unmatched expertise with the written word. Even in death, Jefferson left no room for interpretation, leaving careful and precise instructions detailing exactly which words would mark his final resting place.

The Dolley Madison reverse was designed by Joel Iskowitz of Woodstock, New York, an AIP Master Designer. The image was sculpted by Don Everhart, a United States Mint sculptor-engraver. The reverse design depicts Dolley Madison, in an act of patriotism, saving the Cabinet papers and the beautiful Gilbert Stuart portrait of George Washington, when forced to flee the White House in advance of oncoming British troops in August 1814.

I won't be buying any but the designs don't look too bad given the material the mint had to work with.

The Jefferson one is kind of interesting. Liberty's better looking than any of these women, that's for sure. I can only imagine what Hillary's will look like... "Ugly Coin Competition" material, no doubt.

I do not mean to offend anyone who plans on collecting those, so I'll just keep my mouth shut :ninja:

I am sure the First Mistress coins would be, in some cases, better looking and certainly more numerous. However, I wouldn't hold your breath for that Marilyn Monroe coin either. :ninja:

Oh Jaysus puhleez, then we would have a Paula Jones and Linda Tripp commem :ninja:

Wonder what the Monica Lewinski coin would look like ... ;););):D;)

Oh Jaysus puhleez, then we would have a Paula Jones and Linda Tripp commem :ninja:

Isn't there a double chin variety Franklin? I wonder if people would hoard the Linda Tripp commem thinking it was an accidental double chin too.

That is a nice looking coin. Anyone think that the addition of the first lady coins will draw more women to numismatics? If it does, they are a very powerful purchasing demographic that has been historically absent from our chosen hobby

That is a potential positive aspect. I wonder about a potential negative aspect of all this modern gold being sold by the mint. Isn't it also possible that a huge amount of new numismatist $$$ is going straight into these modern pieces and nothing into the more 'classic' pieces?

Archived