CoinPeople.com

Isle of Mann pound coin - help needed!

lemon_of old

Hi all,

I'm in need of some expert help. My friend recently found a Manx pound coin, dated 1994, with a large mobile phone on one side. I know next to nothing about coins, coin collecting or indeed the Isle of Mann, and despite intensive searching on the net, have come up with nothing. I am stumped. I would really like to know why a mobile phone was chosen. If anybody has any information on this, or can point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it! As I said, I really don't know a thing about coins, and any help would be wonderful.

Many thanks!

Thank you for your prompt reply. Unfortunately there is no sign of the coin in question on that website so far as I can see. I'll keep looking through it though. I don't have a picture of the coin yet, but here is a picture of one I found on the net: http://worldcoingallery.com/countries/img13/93-213.jpg. The title is "Telecommunicator". Thanks again.

According to my `03 World Cat, the Isle of Man One Pound also known as a Sovereign,

is composed from Virenium, KM# 213, Issued from 1988 to 1995, the pic of the Telecommunicator

must represent the invention or using the first mobiles? In the UK, they were known as breeze

blocks due to the size and weight! Mintmarks and Privy marks range from AA, AB, BB and D.

Value stated as $3.50 in UNC.

From 1988 to 1992, Silver Proofs were also issued, value $10.

Weight 4.6000g, 0.9250 Silver Composition giving 0.1368 oz ASW

KM# 213a.

1996 was an interesting issue............"Cricket Equipment".....Mmmmm!

• 2 weeks later...
According to my `03 World Cat, the Isle of Man One Pound also known as a Sovereign,

is composed from Virenium, KM# 213, Issued from 1988 to 1995, the pic of the Telecommunicator

must represent the invention or using the first mobiles? In the UK, they were known as breeze

blocks due to the size and weight! Mintmarks and Privy marks range from AA, AB, BB and D.

KM# 213a.

I have that one for several years, interestingly there are two versions of the 1998 one, one with the IOM symbol (not sure how to spell it, and I wont even attempt to) every so often on the "heads" side & one with them, I'll scan them for you if you like

• 2 months later...
Guest Aidan Work

KM# 213a.

Coinmaniac,a Sovereign is a gold coin.Virenium is the base trade metal that Pobjoy Mint has created.Virenium has been used in various Manx 1,2,& 5 Quid coins prior to 1997.

The 3-legged symbol of the Isle of Man is called the Triskiles.

Aidan.

• 2 weeks later...
Issued from 1988 to 1995, the pic of the Telecommunicator must represent the invention or using the first mobiles?

That was apparently an entire series dedicated to "technology". The 1p coin shows some kind of mechanic wheel, 2p a Celtic cross with traditional tools, 5p a windsurfer, 10p a map of the island above a globe, symbolizing Douglas as a financial center, 20p a harvesting machine, 50p a PC with the triskeles on the screen :ninja: , £1 a mobile phone, a relay station and a telecom satellite, £2 an aircraft above the island, £5 fishery. And of course the entire set comes in various versions - base metal, silver, gold, platinum.

Christian

I like the early £1 issues of both the Isle Of Man & Jersey.

Isle Of Man's was originally a slim silver coin, not too dissimular (sp) to the current 10p piece released in the late 1970's

Jersey had a square or diamond one in 1981 for the bicentenary of the battle of Jersey. Not sure of the thickness but I managed to acquire one off of Ebay, picture attached from the auction, I'll post an image of it once I get it:

7248_1.JPG

:ninja:

Archived