CoinPeople.com

Dimitri Markov Jan 11-07 auction

DAJ

http://www.sixbid.com/home/auctions/mmamerica/mma15/a15.htm

I hear very good things about this man an company, but have never participated in an aution.

Great looking items under Nicholas I.

Tell me. An estimate is given of value. How meaningful is this estimate? One top auction guy told me if you want to be in the game, you bid at twice the estimate. Thoughts, please.

http://www.sixbid.com/home/auctions/mmamerica/mma15/a15.htm

I hear very good things about this man an company, but have never participated in an aution.

Great looking items under Nicholas I.

Tell me. An estimate is given of value. How meaningful is this estimate? One top auction guy told me if you want to be in the game, you bid at twice the estimate. Thoughts, please.

It all depends on the bidding. There are no rules; the recent UBS auction in Zurich set the estimates too high for many coins, especially Russian gold coins of Nicholas II (they didn't sell). In the recent Numismatica Genevensis sale we discussed elsewhere, many lots went for ten times the estimate! There, bidding at twice the estimate wouldn't get you anywhere.

The best rules (IMHO) are:

(1) If possible, inspect the coins in person before bidding, especially if they are expensive;

(2) Do your own research, consult as many catalogs and references and other auction PRs (prices realized) as possible;

(3) Bid only as much as you think the coin is worth -- TO YOU!

I won a nice poltina (1895-AG) last year for less than the estimate -- in this auction, I believe that the opening bid is set for about 80% of the estimate. If you are the only bidder, as I was, then you can get lucky.

He has really had some nice auctions over the years. I have his catalogs back to 1996 (what I wouldn't give to go back and buy at those prices!)

I purchased a handful of things over the years, and I have not been disappointed. However, as the years have passed, his material has increasingly catered to the higher clientele from Russia. Smaller bidders dont seem to have much of a chance in his auctions.

To bring it back to the question at hand, I would be very surprised if the roubles go under estimate. I think things like the following could easily go 4-5x estimate.

No.: 1344

Estimate: $ 150

d=34 mm

Rouble 1908 ÝÁ-ÀÃ. Bit 62 ®, Sev 4135 (S), Uzd 2164

Very fine

No.: 1342

Estimate: $ 200

d=35 mm

Rouble 1906 ÝÁ-ÀÃ. Bit 60 ®, Sev 4124 ®, Uzd 2153 (S)

Very fine

Wow......this is a great one....

01330p00.jpg

Archived