CoinPeople.com

Oldest banknote found in circulation

bifrost

In Sweden the oldest banknote to be accepted in circulation now is the 500kr from 1989 (I have got the info. that not valid banknotes from the 1970-80 have sometimes entered into circulation). But it is hard to find banknotes more than 5 or 6 years old. The oldest find I have done in Sweden was a 20kr banknote from 1991, which I got 2004, (makes 13 years difference).

Last year I managed to get three 2 USD bicentennial 1976 banknotes from circulation (makes 29 years difference) in bad condition.

It seems that it is easier to find old USD banknotes than Swedish.

In China (traveled this year )I have got some banknotes from the 1980 and 1996 series, but the release dates for theese banknotes are surely later than the printed dates (probably in the late 90.

// Joakim

In China (traveled this year )I have got some banknotes from the 1980 and 1996 series, but the release dates for theese banknotes are surely later than the printed dates (probably in the late 90.

Almost the same here in Euroland. Our notes do not have a year indicating the production date. The "© 2002" does not help much since that can be found on each and every note. :ninja: But whether a note was made in 1999 or in 2006 can only be "deduced" from the serial number, signature of the ECB president, etc.

Christian

// Joakim

Most of the higher denomination notes I received in China this Spring were of the 1996-2004 series, but I received a lot of older small change notes from the 1980 series, and one from the 1953 Fen series with an airplane on it.

The only 2 Jiao and 2 Yaun notes I received were from the very attractive 1980 series.

So jealous. The oldest note I have ever found was a '57 silver cert. Remember that the note's printed year doesn't mean the year it was printed. So some of those 76ers were probably printed a lot later.

One of my goals for the new year is to find an old note or a star note in circulation.

'91 series Canadian $20.

Being in a place that (like most others) changes its designs often, old notes get culled out pretty fast and it's virtually impossible to receive a note from two series earlier.

I have had Canadian $1's from 1973 and $5's from 1979 in the mid 1990's when I was there. The $1 bills were getting pretty scarce.

In the mid-90s I was still a little kid in grade school learning about the continents and times tables :ninja:

I see a fair amount of old US 100$s circulating but here the overseas banks are a inpush to get the new US ones due to counterfeiting. HTe oldest one I received was a from one of the 30 series.

From a machine the oldest was a 80s US 20$. Good shape too!

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,

Capt-AWACS, Wir lieben fliegen

Just last week I got a 35 silver certificate star note, and a 1950 5 & 10.....oldest would have to be a 34 $20 and a 10 last year. I love finding old notes at work.....especially because I have like $20,000 cash to rifle through. :ninja:

Three times this year I have either been handed or seen someone with a 1990 George Stephenson £5 note in the last 6 months!

And all three were in better condition than the current £5 notes

Also found one in an old backpack when clearing out the cupboard under the stairs last month!

;);););):D:D:D:D

YAHOOO!!! :wub:

As I have told you guys in many threads many times, I have never found anything older than an early '90s note (my dad found some '57 silver certs) or a '76 $2.

Well, today as I was pulling out cash to pay for pizza, I saw the pre-'98 design on a $20. Looked at the date and saw it was signed Ortega-Baker

1985!

crisp with only a few folds! :ninja:

Then my friend was interested in what he had in his wallet. The first thing he pulled out was a Neff-Simon signed $1.

1974!

So now I finally get to be a productive member of this thread. Wow. What a great day.

In the mid-90s I was still a little kid in grade school learning about the continents and times tables :ninja:

That makes me feel old!

I get a lot of series 1950 $20's out here. My friend works at a bank and calls me when there is an oldie that I will like.

• 2 weeks later...
Yesterday when I was cashing my check, I got a 1977 $20 bill

My oldest note that I received in circulation is a Singapore 1967 Orchid series $1. On and off, there are many 1976 Bird Series $1 as well. :ninja:

Do the $1 coins circulate in Singapore?

There are only 2 series of coins used in Singapore so far. The 1967 to 1985 Marine series and the 1985 onward flora series. The earlier Stone Lion $1 is a heavy coin. It was suppose to get circulated but somehow they were kept by collectors. Most of them did not get circulated. The current series $1 was well circulated. We term it as gold coin because it is as shinning as a gold coin.

Before the issue of the second series $1 coin and the flora series, There is a set of commemorative uncirculated flor series. I think it is 1986 and 1987. The $1 coin inside this commemorative pack is made of copper-nickel ( I think should be the same material as the other denomination ). It is larger than the $1 "gold" coin that are now using in Singapore. If you are collecting coins, this is a good $1 coin to keep. As they are only found in limited commemorative pack, it is a good piece for anyone collection.

Hope this information help everyone here.

:ninja:

Talk about a timely conversation...the lady who runs our cafeteria handed me a 1950 $5 bill. Serial number E20134485C. Anyone tell me how to tell how old is is for her? I have to be nice to her....she saves all the wheaties for me!!

Thanks All'

Ed

It depends on the series, I think the 1950 dated ones were printed on up until early 1963 with either the 1950-C or 1950-D(if that one was issued) I have a 1950-C $20 that based on the signature combination was printed ca. 1961.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived