CoinPeople.com

NZ Thin Penny

Hi All, I have a 1947 New Zealand Penny which is about 1/3 the thickness of a normal NZ Penny and approximately the weight of a half penny (I don't have a gram scale).

The penny is not quite as large as a normal NZ penny.

The obverse shows flow marks (I have attached a picture of this coin beside a normal NZ Penny).

The reverse has an odd texture and looking edge on, you can see some gaps.

My theory is that this is a Penny stamped on a 1/2 penny planchett, but I would be grateful for any opinions.

Thanks,

Spirospero

obv.jpg

Hi All, I have a 1947 New Zealand Penny which is about 1/3 the thickness of a normal NZ Penny and approximately the weight of a half penny (I don't have a gram scale).

The penny is not quite as large as a normal NZ penny.

The obverse shows flow marks (I have attached a picture of this coin beside a normal NZ Penny).

The reverse has an odd texture and looking edge on, you can see some gaps.

My theory is that this is a Penny stamped on a 1/2 penny planchett, but I would be grateful for any opinions.

Thanks,

Spirospero

This one looks like the acid-job lot I bought some time ago

http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?showtopic=11444

Hope this is the answer

Regards

Jos

Hi Jos, that is interesting thanks. However, if you look closely at my penny, you can see that there is no loss of detail on the obverse, plus there are flow marks that "may" have been caused by the half penny planchett being squeezed out to the size of a penny.

I appreciate any opinions, but not ruling anything out just yet.

Thanks,

spirospero

Hi Jos, that is interesting thanks. However, if you look closely at my penny, you can see that there is no loss of detail on the obverse, plus there are flow marks that "may" have been caused by the half penny planchett being squeezed out to the size of a penny.

I appreciate any opinions, but not ruling anything out just yet.

Thanks,

spirospero

That is indeed also possible. Unfortunately, I'm not that familiar with Australian coinage.

I hope it's the wrong planchet error. They are much more worth than the acid-jobs I suggested :ninja:

Regards

Jos

Archived