CoinPeople.com

Catologing your collection...

Mila_cent

Hello Collectors,

I have been using a digitall album (I also use the same program to digiltize my photos for safe keeping) to catolog my collection with just the pics. No imformatiom to grades or anything else except which and who certain coins(s) go to upon my demise, just the coins images. I am however, thinking of switching them to a 'coin collector's' software program.

Does anyone use such a software program? Which do you use? Easy to use?

Help appreciated, Thanks.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I currently use a program called Coin Manager by Liberty Street Software ( www.libertystreet.com). It is a great program but is limited because it only has entries for U.S., Canada Great Britian. To enter other Countries coinage you will need to add them manualy. My collection is rapidly growing and now contains coins from all over the World. At this point I am looking at change over to Coin Assistant by Carlisle Development Corporation (www.carlisledevelopment.com). They have database upgrades that include World Coins, Ancient Coins and Euro's.

Excel is the way to go (if you can get your hands on a "free" copy). It can do anything these other programs can do and its a lot more flexible.

I use Hartberger book and pages and 2x2's

The medium pages that have 12 coins to the page

In Word you can do tables ; so I created a matrix of 4x3 ; I scanned the coins and numbered the pages

The wordfile with inserted scans and the real book are identical in visual appearance

To the wordfile I added weight and personal grading and rarety factor

I have catalogued my coin collection for years using a spreadsheet I wrote. I have not seen any of the cataloguing software.

I have done this for so long that I first worked on Q&A an old Dos program, then I moved it all over to LOTUS 123 and now i have it in Microsoft Excel:

I think my feilds are thus:

Currency Type: (Coin, Bullion Coin, Bullion, Federal Reserve Note, United States Note, etc.)

Date:

Face Value:

Grade:

Current Value:

Content:

Mintage Quantity:

Mint Branch:

Quantity on hand:

Collective Face Value:

Collective Current Value:

Place Purchased:

Date Purchased:

Price on date of Purchase:

I have seen couple discussions on "Best soft for coin collecting". Conclusion: old fellow MS Excel is the best!

I have tried many softs, but still using Excel.

I have to agree with you ... partially. I use MS Access. Similar idea, though. That way I can customize my catalogue exactly how I want it. I also use it to input current trend values and mintage numbers into my database and created a routine that prints me out a "want list" with approximate prices for grades that I can keep in my pocket. And as I add more coins to my database, it's just another click of a button to get a new "want list".

MS Access is certainly a little more tricky than MS Excel, but also more flexible. I'm a computer programmer for my career, so I've got good knowledge to be able to do the tasks I need.

Now with all that said and done, I know that I still need some renovations on my database. My data is stored very generally at the moment, rather than specifically. My "to do" list on my database is still pretty long!!!

I used to write everything down in a notebook, date bought, price paid etc. but then I thought I really have no intentions on selling most of my stuff. And if the day comes where I HAVE TO sell, it wont matter much if I make or lose $$$, because I'll need whatever I get.

So i just try to remember the larger purchases, anything under $100 it doesn't matter that much to me. I'm just enjoying the coins.

I developed my own catalog using FileMaker. I followed the formats of a variety of commercial applications, but revised them to meet the needs of my own esoteric collecting topics. Using a database allows me to design a variety of reports for different purposes such as tracking expenditures, values, purchases by years, limiting reports to a single collecting topic, producing inserts for 2x2s, etc.

If I collected US by date or type, I would go with one of the commercial, prepopulated databases.

Not being a sophisticate like you guys/girls I just use Word, import a picture of the coin from my stash on 'My Pictures' on my computer, add the blurb below and Bob's your uncle! I print in A5 format and have a handy catalogue as a result! :ninja:

I use a program called Numismatist's Notebook

Its a free program, but only covers US coinage. Its easy to use, and you can upload pics of your collection....

I use a program called Numismatist's Notebook

Its a free program, but only covers US coinage. Its easy to use, and you can upload pics of your collection....

Found it but I can only find formats for Mac's not PC's I use a program called MyStuff its a basic home inventory program

Cancel that found a PC version

In France, we have a free software (JGF Monnaie) created by Jean de Griffolet.

It is available in English for some months. ;)

There is lists (Euros, French fifth Republic, Canada...) that you can download on his site.

jgfmonnaie.jpg

You can also create your own list of your collection : every coin has its information (Scan, face value, commercial value, weight...). Like Excel, it is possible to sort yours lists by criterion (Country, date...).

JGF manages your exchanges, your purchases and your (personnel not professional !) sales of coins.

Finally, the lists can be printed !

06120460.jpg

Today, JGF count more than 350 users.

Address where to find JGF Monnaie : jgfmonnaie.info.

Good night ! :ninja:

Excel is the way to go (if you can get your hands on a "free" copy). It can do anything these other programs can do and its a lot more flexible.

try http://www.openoffice.org/ it's free and can handle windows, Mac or Linux. it's open source software so it's completely free. . . . . . Personally I shelled out for ms office 2003 with my Student discount.

Not only is Excel the way to go since it is so easy and flexible but what I really like about Excel is you don't have to go around adding a program to any computer to use it. Probably the greatest amount of computers on Earth have MS with Office or at least all the ones I've ever heard of or seen. Using Excel for coins means you can simply download your collection onto a 3 1/2", CD, DVD, flash card, etc., etc. and go anywhere and just put your info on the system, do what ever you want, redownload, delete from the computer and your on your way. It has been really great doing that. Everywhere I've ever worked has MS with Excel so it is easy to play with my coin statistics whenever I want.

I have to agree on the excel statements. It's everywhere. A friend of mine went to all of the trouble of making an excel skin/form for his collection info. It's nice but so far he's modified it about 100 times.

MS Access is the way to go if you know how to make a database. This is what I have done and it looks similar to the French software referred to earlier.

If Access is not your thing then MS Excel would be the obvious fall back unless you know of a software program that is to your liking.

This how I am cataloging my collection.

It is a Digital Album (you know...just like the ones we all have for our photos, stuck in the closet, drawer, garage, etc).

Anyway, I found this software program and I started to scan my family photos as a backup from the hard copies into the album. (I'm afraid of loss of the hard copies do to a fire or by other means.)

Then my Coin Collection started to grow and I couldn't keep track. So I created a seperate album for the coins. And the result became this as shown in pics. As you can see in the images each page is numbered and can be filpped to see next page. This album will copied on a CD which can be viewed, zoomed, printed, etc.

I've considered a 'Coin' related program that most of you suggested and decided to stick to my 'Digital Album'.

Excel and the other suggestions are a bit too complicated for me. And I do appreicate your help and suggestions. THANK YOU ALL!

342791044_2619d28215_o.jpg

342791048_dd2c73bcf9_o.jpg342791050_71fd6de638_o.jpg

What do you all think?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived