CoinPeople.com

Catologing your collection...

Mila_cent

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my only problem with excel/access/... is that i'd have to do it. i haven't found any excel or access templates that would be a good starting point, and after a day of supporting someone else's computers i don't want to sit down to more programming tasks at home.

I don't even bother with a spreadsheet or software or anything anymore. I go right to the source. I put all the coins into flips, write all the needed info on the flip, put it in a page and put it in a folio. Then if I need to check if I have a coin I pick up the folio and it is alphabetical by country, then denomination an voila!

I do take pics of everything and those are backed up on DVD's with the rest of my photos.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I previously reviewed the coin collecting software Exact Change. I have used Coin Manage, Coin Collectors Assistant, Coins Plus, and various other software on trial basis over the past couple of years. I have designed my own database and used Spreadsheets. A database may be the very best to go if you know Access (or databases) very well. A spreadsheet can certainly get the job done too. If however, you are looking for the best ready to use software available then Exact Change is more than worth the asking price in my humble opinion.

Exact change comes on a DVD, primarily because the program contains over 19,500 images. It is suited for both U.S. and World coin collections and in the case of me, who has U.S. and World coins and a Swiss shooting medal collection it is above the rest!

Exact Change has the capability of the user adding categories and customs reports (along with many pre-defined ones). It has all the bells and whistles of the major programs plus more.

To top it all off Exact Change has customer service that I believe is second to none. They answer your questions promptly and usually the next day. They have frequent updates which by the way are FREE forever! At $79.00 including free updates I don't believe there is a more reasonably price Coin Collecting Software program out there. Recently Wildman Software (Exact Change) introduced a bundle for $159.99 that includes the new Krause 3 DVD set of World Coin Catalogs.

I'm not affiliated to Exact Change in any way; I just want everyone to know that this company is for real...real customer service and designed by numismatists who listen to USERS for input and suggestions. The software is very well put together, easy to use and since the updates are part of the package you never have to pay again after purchase.

Ken, from another coin collecting forum site, who has been so gracious to offer free Excel templates to members there and visitors to his website has a Coin Software summary page where he compares various software packages: --He states Exact Change at $99, it is $79 at this time.

http://typesets.wikidot.com/commercial-coin-inventory

Exact Change also gives a comparison of software:

http://www.exactchange.info/compare.htm

Excel is the way to go (if you can get your hands on a "free" copy). It can do anything these other programs can do and its a lot more flexible.

OpenOffice spreadsheet (part of the OpenOffice suite) is free, runs on multiple operating systems, and can do just about everything that Excel can (including reading and writing the Excel file formats). http://www.openoffice.org/ :ninja:

Not only is Excel the way to go since it is so easy and flexible but what I really like about Excel is you don't have to go around adding a program to any computer to use it. Probably the greatest amount of computers on Earth have MS with Office or at least all the ones I've ever heard of or seen. Using Excel for coins means you can simply download your collection onto a 3 1/2", CD, DVD, flash card, etc., etc. and go anywhere and just put your info on the system, do what ever you want, redownload, delete from the computer and your on your way. It has been really great doing that. Everywhere I've ever worked has MS with Excel so it is easy to play with my coin statistics whenever I want.

Totally agreed. And if you are not comfortable with Excel and you have MS Word you can use the table function and get 99.9% of Excels power.

I have been using Word for about 12 years to catalog my coins and have never had a problem. I can determine within minutes where I bought a coin, what I paid, how it was described and how NCG or ANACS graded it. It helps to sort out the honest dealers from the others.

Basically I use NumisDat, a German language coin collection software (4D based) for Mac and Windows. Costs €29.80 but I got it for less. Convenient, flexible ... except that I have not entered many coins yet. Cataloging coins is quite time consuming, y'know. :ninja:

Christian

Are there any other software engineers on these forums? Would be an intresting project trying to fit every ones needs with a single application :ninja:

I am a part-time professional SW developer specializing in database-oriented applications (server-side and client/server). I have tried to put together a relational DB design which would cover all the bases WRT coin collecting, but it isn't practical IMHO. People who collect by type have totally different needs than others who collect errors, varieties or toned coins, for example. Extensibility is extremely important for the variety collector because new varieties are constantly being discovered. There is no practical way of cataloging error coins, AFAIK because every error coin is basically unique. Although I have reservations about keeping huge collections in spreadsheet form, it isn't a bad choice for most people who might have only a few hundred coins to manage. Major problems arise when you have several thousand coins and/or transactions to keep up with, depending on how things are set up.

There really isn't any getting around entering lots of data about countries, coin series, metal composition etc. by the user unless you want to deal with megabytes of data of which 99% is never used (think: the entire Krause-Mishler catalog on a DVD, which is already available). If all I ever collect is one or two countries and maybe three or four others on an occasional basis, then I should be able to enter only the countries/types which interest me. Performance of queries would suffer otherwise.

Also, for collectors who are also dealers or frequently buy as well as sell coins, there should be some reporting tools for transactions etc. if only for tax purposes. This can become quite complicated, especially as each country has its own particular set of tax laws. At the least, there should be an interface for exporting the data to existing reporting tools such as MS-Access or OpenOffice.

• 4 months later...

"The numismatist's safe" - the software for numismatists

Opportunities of the program:

- Conducting unlimited number of collections

- Conducting unlimited number of groups/subgroups in a collection

- Conducting unlimited number of coins in a collection with breakdown on groups

- Use more than 10 list and up to 20 static characteristics for the description of a coin

- As much as possible convenient work with images of a coin

- Support of two languages

New in version 1.1:

- Fast search on a column in the basic window

- Fast search on a column in windows of directories

- Function of search on a collection

- Sorting on several columns

- Opportunity of a choice of several records for carry

- Function of an exchange by coins between collections

- Function of import of data from files MS Excel

- Option of visibility of columns of the table of viewing

- Preservation of adjustments of the table of viewing

- Function of import lists from text files

- Opportunity of work in full-screen a mode

- The built in browser of images

Restrictions of not registered version: creation no more than 2 collections on 10 coins.

http://koopee.narod.ru/

Excel and my own camera.

Maybe when I'm not poor I'll get some fancy program like that.

What exactly does everyone keep track of? I only list the date/mint, type, variation, denomination, and condition (and country). I realize that some people like to put in where and when they got it and for how much but I sure as hell can't remember that stuff for my earlier pieces. Anything else important I really should take note of?

• 4 weeks later...

I started out using a program called Coin Manage but since then I started using Exact Change a much better program in my option. The things I track are the following.

date

Mint

type

variation

denomination

Graded By

Serial Number (from Grader)

Krause #

Date purchased

Buy Price

Sell Price

Current Value

Pictures of both sides of the coin.

Copy of the puchase receipt

Copy of the Certificate of Authenticity

Location of where the coin is stored.

Comment and notes about the coin.

Coin themes (ex. Bi-metallic, Non-round, All animals etc.)

Coin stats ( Designers,Engravers,Diameter,weight,Composition,Gold or Silver weight and edge type)

I have to agree on the excel statements. It's everywhere. A friend of mine went to all of the trouble of making an excel skin/form for his collection info. It's nice but so far he's modified it about 100 times.

I know what he feels like. I've been using the Excel program for many years now. When I first started it I had columns for just about everything imaginable. Type of coin, date, mint mark, grade, date of purchase, original cost, in a slab, in a 2x2, completely raw, purchased at a coin show, found in change, present value and if they had a shoe size that would have been in there too. Over the years I've found that most of that stuff is dumb so I started deleting columns one at a time. Now down to a spread sheet for each album, loose coins, proof and uncirc sets, rolls of coins, etc. Each one tabulates only the date, mint mark, grade. All are printed out and put in a 3 ring binder. With over 100 Albums, that is already a lot of paper.

I never sell any coins so I don't care about the monitary value. Not interested in a purchase made 30 or 50 years ago either. Don't need photos of my coins since I have the coins I can look at them whenever I want. Therefore only a minimum of information is required and only updated about every 2 or 3 or 4 years. When you get old all the other things loose interest.

If it's not too much trouble, I would love to see examples (pics) of your Excel spreadsheet categories, and how you have them laid out on the page.

I'm moving to Excel from a really crappy collection management software, and I really need some examples to go by.

Thanks, folks !!! :ninja:

Auldfartte,

I might have given you this in the past so if I'm repeating myself I apologize in advance. Here is a link to a couple of different spreadsheet formats.

http://typesets.wikidot.com/free-coin-templates

Ken

Thanks, Ken! That helps :ninja:

Carl

I have a problem [i think it's called ADD] so it is hard for me to sit in front of the computer and try to understand it all. Once I understand one part I lose it when I go to the next. It's very frustrating.

If you could find someone that could set up the base format in Excel then every time you open it all is there. Nothing new to learn. Just add or delete.

Archived