CoinPeople.com

"NUMISMATICA GENEVENSIS SA Auction No IV" RESULTS

Loyal Citizen

Has someone from this forum attended the auction?

I couldn't attend, but I put in mail-order bids for a Russian lot of 5 kopek coins and for one USA coin. So far, I have heard nothing.

The auction was held on Monday and Tuesday, and today is only Wednesday, so it might take a day or two before we get the results.

How do you like 1859 rouble at 40000 ??? Not a proof coin.

Surely you must mean 4000, not 40000?? :ninja:

Are the results available on the internet? I cannot find them anywhere.

How do you like 1859 rouble at 40000 ??? Not a proof coin.

Yeah, I've heard that too....Just amazing ! I've placed some bids for this auction, thought some of them were pretty strong but at the end of the "show" I was overbid by (in some cases) 2-3 times !!! I just wonder where we are all going with this ? Looks like , I'm about to switch to the post card collecting...there are still some bargains there, I was told :ninja:

Surely you must mean 4000, not 40000?? :ninja:

Are the results available on the internet? I cannot find them anywhere.

I would have said the same about the 40.000 figure but a recent Gelos auction (No. 35, 25 November) produced $10,000 for an 1862 rouble in XF-Unc, which is seen more often than the 1859. Even a year ago I would have said that kind of price for an 1862 was not possible.

RWJ

PRs are not available yet, but here are a few for some better coins:

1720 2 rouble gold 28000

1704 rouble 24000

1724 sun rouble 14000

1706 poltina 28000

1720 gold medal 180000

1729 rouble 13000

1730 rouble 14000

1731 rouble 11000

1737 rouble 17000

1741 rouble 35000

1758 gold 10 rouble 60000

1762 Peter III rouble 26000 (SPB lettered edge)

etc.

You get the picture.

1720 2 rouble gold 28000

1704 rouble 24000

1724 sun rouble 14000

1706 poltina 28000

1720 gold medal 180000

1729 rouble 13000

1730 rouble 14000

1731 rouble 11000

1737 rouble 17000

1741 rouble 35000

1758 gold 10 rouble 60000

1762 Peter III rouble 26000 (SPB lettered edge)

etc.

You get the picture.

Are these prices in Swiss Francs or dollars?

Do they include buyer's fees?

Is it just my perception, or are price increases actually accelerating?

These are hammer prices in Swiss Francs, so with buyer's fee it is pretty close to dollars.

Is it accelerating? Let's see what New York auctions will show. I do not think they can generate the same levels, but will find out soon enough.

The prices accelerating for the coin in choice condition or one year of the tipe, but some very rare coins selling for reasonable prices for today market. As far as I see the highest bidders primary investors.

[...prices snipped...]

Thanks, IgorS. :ninja:

Do you have results for these lots by any chance:

1307 - lot of 10 different Catherine II pyataka

and

1839 - USA, 1 cent "Flying Eagle" 1857

I have tried calling NGSA several times and nobody is answering the telephone. ;)

Thanks, IgorS. :ninja:

Do you have results for these lots by any chance:

1307 - lot of 10 different Catherine II pyataka

and

1839 - USA, 1 cent "Flying Eagle" 1857

I have tried calling NGSA several times and nobody is answering the telephone. ;)

1307 - 3000 hammer. ;)

The prices accelerating for the coin in choice condition or one year of the tipe, but some very rare coins selling for reasonable prices for today market. As far as I see the highest bidders primary investors.

I heard the same thing - that this time Russian dealers were not among the strongest bidders, but corporate investors.

I would have said the same about the 40.000 figure but a recent Gelos auction (No. 35, 25 November) produced $10,000 for an 1862 rouble in XF-Unc, which is seen more often than the 1859. Even a year ago I would have said that kind of price for an 1862 was not possible.

RWJ

I talked to the guy who bid that high on the 60-s roubles (actually 4 of those expensive - went to the same bidder). He said that he wanted to cover the missing 4 roubles in his collection. The condition of the coins was not so good, he also agreed with that.

In the meantime, I received an e-mail reply from NGSA about the results. They should be available to the general public on Monday, Dec. 18th.

It seems very strange to me that many, if not most, of the lots went for TEN TIMES the estimate price! Lot 1307, in particular, was a lot of ten 5 kopek coins of Catherine II. Some were interesting overdates, some were scarcer KM mints, but these were advertised as all being in "VF to XF" condition. I didn't get to see the lots in person, but I thought $100 (approx CHF 125) per coin (maximum) was realistic. Since lots like this sometimes don't even sell, I put in a bid of CHF 500 hoping to get lucky...

But $300 per coin for this stuff is ridiculous!! :ninja:

An 1857 Flying Eagle cent (USA) which would probably grade MS-63 or thereabouts (max.) at PCGS went for CHF 1,000. Although this is probably a more realistic retail price, there is a very great possibility that it would only grade MS-62 in which case the buyer overpaid by about 50%. Nevertheless, the fact that the estimate was set at only CHF 100 would lead most to believe that this coin might have hidden flaws not evident in the pictures. At any rate, there is no reason to set the estimate that low for this kind of coin.

I am shocked by these results, and I am curious to see what will come out on Monday.

Archived