CoinPeople.com

Wanting tips for photographing small PROOF coins

gxseries

Make sure you use the MACRO setting on the camera to get in close without losing resolution and detail. You may want to get a good focus on the coin WITHOUT filling the field and then tap the ZOOM button a couple of times to get in tighter. I have used that technique with some of my Cents.

For the proofs you will probably need a circular light source so that you can illuminate the entire coin, and then put a thin piece of cardboard in front of a corner of the light source to create the shadow effect that makes the proof photos look so good.

Make sure you use the MACRO setting on the camera to get in close without losing resolution and detail. You may want to get a good focus on the coin WITHOUT filling the field and then tap the ZOOM button a couple of times to get in tighter. I have used that technique with some of my Cents.

For the proofs you will probably need a circular light source so that you can illuminate the entire coin, and then put a thin piece of cardboard in front of a corner of the light source to create the shadow effect that makes the proof photos look so good.

Do you have any pics of your own work?

For photographing larger coins like Morgan sized proof coins, I don't find it too difficult. However when it gets down to the size of let's say nickel size, I find them amazingly difficult to photograph. Does anyone have tips for these? :ninja:

Don't know if you see these two posts I made the other day gx, but it might give you some ideas.

Link 1

Link 2