Do you collect commemoratives?

Tiffibunny

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do i collect commemoratives?

No.

Never. I don't agree with the way they are aimed at collectors for the mints to make a profit out of. Consumerism ruined stamps, coins are going the same way.

Tiffibunny,  Now I WANT the one on the left!!! I am going to have to quit hanging around coin forums as it is driving me nuts! How available are these Belarus 20 Roubles now and can a guy find one? As for commemoratives, well they are a major part of my collecting now as 30 years of the same designs in the U.S. was getting really boring. Now I have turned to silver Euro's and world coins with outstanding designs. Prefer older 1800's in world coins but have found some outstanding NEW designs such as the one I just found here!!! Hard not to want them!

They are 2 seperate coins, the right is the reverse, the left the obverse.  I had to go to Ebay to find the top one it was released in July and my dealer sold out of them.  He's sold out of both now I believe.  As it turns out the guy I got these from on Ebay supplies my internet dealer.  I bought them straight from Belarus.  I know he has some more on Ebay.  I'll get you his ID if you're interested.  He's a great guy, I lost an auction for the bottom coin, but he sold me one cheaper than what the auction went for.

The commemoratives I just bought do not really belong in here since they are US coins, but yes, I did spend more than face for each of them ... A Mt Rushmore half, and today at the Denver Mint (well, the store) I got two silver $1 commems. I consider these pieces to be coins as well as souvenirs, so they were well worth the money :-)

Christian

That is a legendary hero called Cúchulainn, with a raven on his shoulder. The reverse design follows an Oliver Sheppard sculpture of the dying Cúchulainn:

http://keltic.johnny.free.fr/mythes/C/Imag...cuchulainn3.jpg

Seems they expect everybody to know who that statue represents, and who is shown on the other side (Pádraic/Patrick Pearse). What makes it look like a medal is the relatively high relief, I think ... and maybe the absence of a digit indicating the value ;-)

Christian

The raven represents Morrigane, by the way, a goddess who was after him. But apparently he was not terribly interested, and even injured her. Which is why his life (was) ended somewhat abruptly.

Nice coin indeed. But the empty space also makes it hard to find that coin in excellent condition. I have it, but with quite a few scratches. May replace it one day if I find a better piece at a good price ...

Christian

first of all, those are NOT coins, but tokens......

The ECU never became real money....

OK, the dutch one says (tough thing to translate, btw):

"Bevrijding betekent herleven van alle vrijheden"

"Liberation means living again all liberties/freedoms"

The portrait is Wilhelmina, reigning queen during WW2