CoinPeople.com

Your 2007 Coin Collecting Goals

Art

7) Find and go to at least one coin show, I've been slacking out here in the middle of nowhere

What are you doing the end of the month? Heres a big show in St Charles, about 50 miles from you?

47TH ANNUAL COIN FESTIVAL

FRIDAY JULY 27th 10am - 7pm

SATURDAY JULY 28th 10am - 6pm

SUNDAY JULY 29th 10am - 2pm

ST. CHARLES CONVENTION CENTER

1 Convention Center Plaza

St. Charles, Missouri

http://www.coinshows.com/stcharles_mns.html

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Updated. 01July07

1) Continue FE/IHC raw collection -- looking but haven't made any purchases yet.

2) Continue Lincoln GEM and Jefferson GEM collections -- filled in lots of these from proof/mint sets.

3) Acquire proof sets, silver proof sets, mint sets starting at 2005 and working "backwards" to fill slots in all current albums. Still working on these. Not too many left to go.

4) 2007 GEM BU ASE - got it

5) Organize my World Coins -- haven't really started on this yet

6) Organize my banknotes -- got some currency holders. I guess that's a start.

7) Continue one coin/one banknote per country collection. -- no additions recently. Database still far from complete.

8) Continue on Anniversary Dates Signature Set - this set is completed.

Art's Anniversary Signature Set

9) Continue on US Type Sets -- no recent additions here.

In no particular order:

1) Finish the Peace $ series - I'm more focused this year than most of last, so hopefully I'll finally finish it. I need a very nice 28 and 34-s. I've been working on the series this long, might as well give it all I got when capping it off.

No additions yet

2) Get my barber dime series off the ground - acquire most of the common dates - I've only been to one show since I decided to start this series. Keeping the grades affordable but good looking - XF/AU, tougher to find than worse or better grades. Not exagerrating.

Not one

3) Get my liberty nickel series off the ground - acquire most of the common dates - Haven't really started looking for any yet.

Nada

4) More progress on my Walker half series - 1939 - , all dates and mints and proofs in grades 65+

Uhh... Yes. Oh wait. Who am I kidding? No. Nothing.

5) Make some more progress on my $1 Silver Cert. series - Acquire the last three regular issues (1923 Woods-Tate {~ an $105 in VF according to BlackBook }, 1928 C { ~ $300 in VF}, and 1928 E { ~ $625 in VF}) and more common star notes. I've got a budget to keep but I like great examples of notes so I try not to settle for too low a grade. The remaining star notes require some serious investment. This series isn't as easy as it first seems.

Schwing! Got the 1928E and another one or two I think.

6) Start a new note series to get going on - Any suggestions? I'm thinking gold certificates, continuing with silver certs in older dates and other denominations.

No dice

7) Acquire my first pattern coin - I haven't bought a coin outside of a series I'm working on in YEARS. I've always been infatuated with patterns (check out the work I'm starting in the museum). I'd also like to start collecting them when I have the budget. Also... (shh... don't tell too many people)... they're decently priced.

I wish...

That's it. Let's see how I do. Thanks to CP, I am MUCH more focused than in the dark ages before.

Yeah... school work + NO WHERE TO GO TO BUY COINS!!!! + spending what money I do have on one or two notes = yikes... I've done nothing. Oh man... I just want to find a nice coin shop and spend a few bucks on my cheaper goals but alas, no where near me in Iowa or in Richmond.

I must say, I have made additions to my collection - a few wins on Heritage and many many nice things from you guys. Although those aren't progress towards my goals. :ninja:

I can't wait til I get home from this internship so I can ransack the coinshop near home once they're open again AND I'm around... psh.

In no particular order:

1) Finish the Peace $ series - I'm more focused this year than most of last, so hopefully I'll finally finish it. I need a very nice 28 and 34-s. I've been working on the series this long, might as well give it all I got when capping it off.

No additions yet

2) Get my barber dime series off the ground - acquire most of the common dates - I've only been to one show since I decided to start this series. Keeping the grades affordable but good looking - XF/AU, tougher to find than worse or better grades. Not exagerrating.

Not one

3) Get my liberty nickel series off the ground - acquire most of the common dates - Haven't really started looking for any yet.

Nada

4) More progress on my Walker half series - 1939 - , all dates and mints and proofs in grades 65+

Uhh... Yes. Oh wait. Who am I kidding? No. Nothing.

5) Make some more progress on my $1 Silver Cert. series - Acquire the last three regular issues (1923 Woods-Tate {~ an $105 in VF according to BlackBook }, 1928 C { ~ $300 in VF}, and 1928 E { ~ $625 in VF}) and more common star notes. I've got a budget to keep but I like great examples of notes so I try not to settle for too low a grade. The remaining star notes require some serious investment. This series isn't as easy as it first seems.

Schwing! Got the 1928E and another one or two I think.

6) Start a new note series to get going on - Any suggestions? I'm thinking gold certificates, continuing with silver certs in older dates and other denominations.

No dice

7) Acquire my first pattern coin - I haven't bought a coin outside of a series I'm working on in YEARS. I've always been infatuated with patterns (check out the work I'm starting in the museum). I'd also like to start collecting them when I have the budget. Also... (shh... don't tell too many people)... they're decently priced.

I wish...

That's it. Let's see how I do. Thanks to CP, I am MUCH more focused than in the dark ages before.

Yeah... school work + NO WHERE TO GO TO BUY COINS!!!! + spending what money I do have on one or two notes = yikes... I've done nothing. Oh man... I just want to find a nice coin shop and spend a few bucks on my cheaper goals but alas, no where near me in Iowa or in Richmond.

I must say, I have made additions to my collection - a few wins on Heritage and many many nice things from you guys. Although those aren't progress towards my goals. :ninja:

I can't wait til I get home from this internship so I can ransack the coinshop near home once they're open again AND I'm around... psh.

Updates in green

Too bad you're not selling your collection of US notes or coins still. Since I'm out of luck with dealers in the area I may... just may.. be interested.

@Dockwalliper:

Thanks for finding a show where my folks live and the link; however, I will be in Jamaica on those days. :roll: Of course.

@thedeadpoint:

Same here, about school+work+noplace to buy anything. Hence, my modest goals.

Goal#1;

Finish the 4th and 5th Issues (US Fractional Currency) minimum grade AU55 [ 4 notes to go]!

Goal#2;

Finish the $5 note collection from 1914 thru current including stars! [ Big Goal here] $$$$$$$$$$ min ChCu

Goal#3

Add the 2007 Paltinum Anniversary set and 2007 "W" Unc set to the collection.

1/2 Cotton 1/2 Linen

Goal#2;

Finish the $5 note collection from 1914 thru current including stars! [ Big Goal here] $$$$$$$$$$ min ChCu

Do ya happen to have what you have completed up for viewing on banknotebank.com? I'd love to see the collection in progress.

Too bad you're not selling your collection of US notes or coins still. Since I'm out of luck with dealers in the area I may... just may.. be interested.

I am always at odds about selling my stuff, lol. I might sell off 2 of the 3 $1 virginia notes I own, keeping the Au for myself. :ninja: But I don't know about the rest of my US currency though. I am two notes away from a small sized $5 type set (not year set like my $1 notes), so I really want to finish that, just need the large red seal and hawaii notes. I am also thinking about downgrading my black eagle to free up some money, but that note would be super hard to part with, it's a great crisp unc with the heaviest impressions I've ever seen.

My main problem is money, I want to finish my $1 set and start on the upgrades, but that 1918 green eagle is proving to be a pain, I've been outbid 5 times this week by less than a dollar. I even missed a nice Xf one for under $90 because I was at work. ;) And finding the money for a nice example would mean I have to sell off other parts of my collection, mainly because I have a $540 college bill each month I can barely pay, and my car payment, lol!

I am going to sell some German currency, duplicate type coins, US silver, Mexican silver, and non-US silver though, so if anyone is interested in that, let me know. I just really need to remove about 30-40% of my collection to clean up for new areas of interest. Also, bucket loads of Non-US coins, $0.15 each, and I have THOUSANDS, lol.

Hmmm…collecting goals. I like goals, they help keep me focused. I’m not too crazy about time limits though. Nevertheless, it is a good exercise and gives me pause to reassess my collection. So, this is where I stand with my collecting interests and where I would like to see progress in 2007. This should be interesting to read in a year.

Hmmmm

Lincoln Cent: A 1909-present with proof issues set in an Intercept-shield album. I need plenty of additions to this set and would like to see myself get all, or at least many, of the easier issues in 2007.

Yes! This is where I have had the most activity and I am definitely getting there.

Jefferson Nickel: Complete with proofs and lots of MS examples. Although this Whitman Classic album stops at 2004, I am not really looking for additions. There are, however, always upgrades that can grab one’s attention.

Franklin Half Dollar: Circulated set (with a few in MS) is complete and in a Dansco. Not really looking to continue work on this set although any nice errors that come my way could be of interest.

Kennedy Half Dollar: A circulated (with many in MS) set is complete (I need to add the 2006 issues and then the 2007 issues) and in a Dansco album. In addition to the date set, I have a few die-breaks, a doubled die, some no FGs, and an accented hair type. While I can see adding to the extras when interesting pieces grab my attention, the 1998 matte proof is the one that would be the King of my collection.

Nothing here really. I have been looking at some 1942 T2 Jeff proofs – something very attractive about them. Also looking at picking up a BugsBunny Franklin and I am on the look out for a 1998 matte set (with the RFK dollar) but they cost big $$$. I did get a toasty 64 just for the heck of it.

Susan B. Anthony Dollars: I have nearly completed this short set in a Dansco album. All are MS or proof. Only need the 1981-S type II and will definitely be on the lookout for the right one in 2007.

Yes! I got the 81-s in question and the set is complete (although I have yet to bust a couple out of the plastic. I also got an MS68 1999 and a souvenir cover with a 79.

Off-Center Lincoln Memorial year set: I need just 1959-1963 and 2004 (I have some liberal definitions of what is off-center and they are just one per year). I would like to add to this set during the year if I can find some fills without sacrificing an arm and a leg.

Yes. I managed to add two to this set (1960, 1963).

US Bison type set:

Other US Type Sets:

Small cent:

Nickel:

Dime:

Quarter:

Half:

Dollar:

Odd denomination:

My half dollar set is the furthest along, but all of these can use additions and upgrades. So I would like to see some progress along the lines of acquiring selected pieces.

Late Roman Empire:

I have a very modest collection, numbering perhaps 30 pieces. I would like to add a few during the year.

Nope, nothing really. Still have not pulled the trigger on that Gold Bison. Maybe if gold comes down though.

Large World Silver:

I probably have enough here and there is really no focus other than being large (something like crown size) and silver.

Small World Silver:

Same as above, but I have even fewer. I bet I will add to these sometime during the year as I am a sucker for silver.

Oh yes. Love those hunks of silver and have added several.

Italian Coins:

I really want to continue my interest in these and there are some particular ones I want, but they are very expensive! Still, I plan on continuing my interest in this area. Hopefully I will get some solid focus.

Yes, of course I have added a few.

Country Set:

I have a relatively large number of World coins that are not particularly valuable, but interesting to me nonetheless. I would like to organize them and catalog them and formally beginning a country set. I bet I have maybe 30-40 countries already.

New set interest: I don’t have any plans here. I do have some interest in Large cent and half cents and have a few – maybe with a few more, I can claim a type set.

Nothing on the country cataloging and I have not acted on any new sets, but I have kind of changed the possibilities. Now I am considering Peace Dollars or a US WWII set.

Organization:

You bet. My collection is not completely chaotic, but it could sure benefit by some organization and cataloging.

Books:

There are a few I know I want to get, including Cherry picker’s vol #1 and a good Kennedy half book. Probably something will catch my eye during the year.

Finally, like many other people, I want to trim out the coins that I have accumulated that I am not actually collecting. My fantasy is, of course, to sell them to help finance new acquisitions – yeah sure.

*sigh* *sigh* and *sigh*

Overall, I give myself a mid-year grade of EF45.

• 3 months later...

Less than 2 full months left. Christmas is coming for most of us and maybe a few birthdays for some of you. How are the goals coming?

Mine.... Uhh... I've made some very very small progress. Got a key date for my barbers but in AG-3 because I'm tempted to do a low grade registry set.

I was just wondering these kinds of things to myself the other day, I'm surprised I missed this thread...

1) Finish 20th Century Type set (4 to go!) <--- still missing 2, I wasn't planning on spending over $100 for one coin...

2) Get p/d/s mint/proof sets 2007 <--- changing this to proof set only, and it's the last proof set I'm getting save for one 1964 and earlier

3) Acquire 2007 ASE proof <---- nope

4) Find a nice loupe <--- got it

5) Begin investing in long-term to permanent coin storage (as of yet still undecided which brand/types of storage/display this will be) <--- done, AirTites

6) Visit lots of flea markets and buy lots of books <--- did the visiting, but no coin books to by :ninja:

7) Find and go to at least one coin show, I've been slacking out here in the middle of nowhere <--- done, but I'll be more prepared next time

I'll probably have to edit the first one, too, since I'm gonna try to get a stunning example of the SLQ v. 1 sometime. We'll see.

1) Continue FE/IHC raw collection -- added two nice cents here.

2) Continue Lincoln GEM and Jefferson GEM collections -- filled in lots of these from proof/mint sets. - continued the proof/mint set breakup. Still some to go on the moderns.

3) Acquire proof sets, silver proof sets, mint sets starting at 2005 and working "backwards" to fill slots in all current albums. Still working on these. Not too many left to go.

4) 2007 GEM BU ASE - got it

5) Organize my World Coins -- Right now I'm organizing my GB coins.

6) Organize my banknotes -- got some currency holders. I guess that's a start. Need to do this for PBC entries.

7) Continue one coin/one banknote per country collection. -- a few additions recently. Database getting closer to complete. Joined the Yahoo everycountry group.

8) Continue on Anniversary Dates Signature Set - this set is completed.

9) Continue on US Type Sets -- addec a Liberty Seated Quarter.

More Moldavian-Wallachian coins up to 100 (right now I have under 50...) to complete a study about die variants, weight differences per year.

More russian coins 1700-1927;

More romanian tokens;

More post WWI german notmunze;

More eye-catching designed coins from all over the world.

P.S. I must win at lottery!!!

1. Almost 60 Sadagura coins I have right now... "only" 40 left to the target...

2. Done, but also I've sold many of them

3.Done, but also I've sold many of them

4. Done (more than 100 notmunze added, and some catalogues too)

5. You will see some of the coins from point 5 into Popular Coin Idol...

P.S. I did not win the lottery (maybe because I did not bought any tickets?)

I have only two failures: two rares 1 Leu coins bought from ebay Germany seems to be lost... one of them is the 1870C!!! :ninja:

Copy and paste from the 2006 goals.

Next year expand my foreign coins, morgan, peace and commemorative dollars also.

I do want to try at some choice type coins also though.

Did well on the morgans. Most of the commemoratives were toward the first of the year. Very few on the foreign coins. Type coins not yet.

Not much changes:

1.Add to/finish/upgrade the U.S. Type set

2.Same thing for my Portuguese Type Set

3.May start picking up VF-XF Barber quarters & halves. No real goal, just grabbing nice examples

4.Maybe whittle down some of my extras

1 & 2. I did add a few examples to each set

3. Nothing

4. Nope

Archived