CoinPeople.com

Your 2007 Coin Collecting Goals

Art

Goals for 2007:

1) Liquidate entire collection and hoards (already in process)

2) Begin birth year set:

A) starting with the gold! One per month.

;) then silver coins! Two per month.

C) then if the budget allows, one or more proof/mint sets.

That's it. I want to get a complete world birth year set (uncirculated/proof) within the next few years.

I'm also going to try to complete my Red Book collection in 2007 and begin my Krause catalog collection.

Finally, I want to construct a few coin cabinets to put my new birth year up for display in the house.

We'll see how long this collection lasts :ninja:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am becoming more and more convinced that quite a few coins are going to be sold in 2007, I have huge unloved hoards of stuff that would find a happy home somewhere else.

This is going to be sold too:

1799dollar.jpg

Look for this to be up for sale sometime in the Spring. The proceeds from which will be dedicated to a trip to either Portugal and Spain, or Ireland/ Northern Ireland.

I am becoming more and more convinced that quite a few coins are going to be sold in 2007, I have huge unloved hoards of stuff that would find a happy home somewhere else.

This is going to be sold too:

1799dollar.jpg

Look for this to be up for sale sometime in the Spring. The proceeds from which will be dedicated to a trip to either Portugal and Spain, or Ireland/ Northern Ireland.

Surely this beauty doesn't fall into the unloved catagory. :ninja:

2007 Goals:

1)Sadly, get the Presidential dollars started and P/D/S 2007 sets. (I'm a sucker for edge lettering)

2)Get a $20 liberty in MS-61-64

3)Get a 1794 large and half cent in AG/G (I love well worn coppers)

Finish my large cent type set starting with 1794 (too poor for the 93's)

Start my half cent type set

4)Sell off about 1/3 of my coin collection, including all my duplicates.

5)Work on type set stuff as well as the random folders

6)Continue to hoard german currency pre 1950's

7)Finish my Zambian note set 10,000 kwacha and up

8)Sell the rest of my US currency

9)Upgrade my draped bust half to a fine or so

10)Get ANY 1795 (prefer the half or dollar though) silver coin in AG/G for under $350 (just missed one for $190 on ebay the other day :ninja: )

I got a year, hopefully I'll complete at least half of the above....who knows.

img15967bri5.jpg

Hmmm…collecting goals. I like goals, they help keep me focused. I’m not too crazy about time limits though. Nevertheless, it is a good exercise and gives me pause to reassess my collection. So, this is where I stand with my collecting interests and where I would like to see progress in 2007. This should be interesting to read in a year.

Date Sets:

Lincoln Cent: A 1909-present with proof issues set in an Intercept-shield album. I need plenty of additions to this set and would like to see myself get all, or at least many, of the easier issues in 2007.

Jefferson Nickel: Complete with proofs and lots of MS examples. Although this Whitman Classic album stops at 2004, I am not really looking for additions. There are, however, always upgrades that can grab one’s attention.

Franklin Half Dollar: Circulated set (with a few in MS) is complete and in a Dansco. Not really looking to continue work on this set although any nice errors that come my way could be of interest.

Kennedy Half Dollar: A circulated (with many in MS) set is complete (I need to add the 2006 issues and then the 2007 issues) and in a Dansco album. In addition to the date set, I have a few die-breaks, a doubled die, some no FGs, and an accented hair type. While I can see adding to the extras when interesting pieces grab my attention, the 1998 matte proof is the one that would be the King of my collection.

Susan B. Anthony Dollars: I have nearly completed this short set in a Dansco album. All are MS or proof. Only need the 1981-S type II and will definitely be on the lookout for the right one in 2007.

Off-Center Lincoln Memorial year set: I need just 1959-1963 and 2004 (I have some liberal definitions of what is off-center and they are just one per year). I would like to add to this set during the year if I can find some fills without sacrificing an arm and a leg.

Type sets:

US Bison type set:

I want to add a gold piece here. If the new multi-denomination ones are the same design as the 1 oz 2006 piece then maybe I will get a 1/10 oz. If not, then maybe I will get the 06 1 oz – or maybe both, who knows.

Other US Type Sets:

Small cent:

Nickel:

Dime:

Quarter:

Half:

Dollar:

Odd denomination:

My half dollar set is the furthest along, but all of these can use additions and upgrades. So I would like to see some progress along the lines of acquiring selected pieces.

Large World Silver:

I probably have enough here and there is really no focus other than being large (something like crown size) and silver.

Small World Silver:

Same as above, but I have even fewer. I bet I will add to these sometime during the year as I am a sucker for silver.

Late Roman Empire:

I have a very modest collection, numbering perhaps 30 pieces. I would like to add a few during the year.

Italian Coins:

I really want to continue my interest in these and there are some particular ones I want, but they are very expensive! Still, I plan on continuing my interest in this area. Hopefully I will get some solid focus.

Country Set:

I have a relatively large number of World coins that are not particularly valuable, but interesting to me nonetheless. I would like to organize them and catalog them and formally beginning a country set. I bet I have maybe 30-40 countries already.

New set interest: I don’t have any plans here. I do have some interest in Large cent and half cents and have a few – maybe with a few more, I can claim a type set.

Organization:

You bet. My collection is not completely chaotic, but it could sure benefit by some organization and cataloging.

Books:

There are a few I know I want to get, including Cherry picker’s vol #1 and a good Kennedy half book. Probably something will catch my eye during the year.

Finally, like many other people, I want to trim out the coins that I have accumulated that I am not actually collecting. My fantasy is, of course, to sell them to help finance new acquisitions – yeah sure.

Off-Center Lincoln Memorial year set: I need just 1959-1963 and 2004 (I have some liberal definitions of what is off-center and they are just one per year). I would like to add to this set during the year if I can find some fills without sacrificing an arm and a leg.

That sounds like a great idea for a set. Maybe you would be willing to share images of the set with the rest of us when you are ready.

I'm updating my 2007 collecting goals:

13th century European trade coinage (ducat/florin/genovino and grosso/gros.groschen etc., tournose,)

In no particular order:

1) Finish the Peace $ series - I'm more focused this year than most of last, so hopefully I'll finally finish it. I need a very nice 28 and 34-s. I've been working on the series this long, might as well give it all I got when capping it off.

2) Get my barber dime series off the ground - acquire most of the common dates - I've only been to one show since I decided to start this series. Keeping the grades affordable but good looking - XF/AU, tougher to find than worse or better grades. Not exagerrating.

3) Get my liberty nickel series off the ground - acquire most of the common dates - Haven't really started looking for any yet.

4) More progress on my Walker half series - 1939 - , all dates and mints and proofs in grades 65+

5) Make some more progress on my $1 Silver Cert. series - Acquire the last three regular issues (1923 Woods-Tate {~ an $105 in VF according to BlackBook }, 1928 C { ~ $300 in VF}, and 1928 E { ~ $625 in VF}) and more common star notes. I've got a budget to keep but I like great examples of notes so I try not to settle for too low a grade. The remaining star notes require some serious investment. This series isn't as easy as it first seems.

6) Start a new note series to get going on - Any suggestions? I'm thinking gold certificates, continuing with silver certs in older dates and other denominations.

7) Acquire my first pattern coin - I haven't bought a coin outside of a series I'm working on in YEARS. I've always been infatuated with patterns (check out the work I'm starting in the museum). I'd also like to start collecting them when I have the budget. Also... (shh... don't tell too many people)... they're decently priced.

That's it. Let's see how I do. Thanks to CP, I am MUCH more focused than in the dark ages before.

Thanks to CP, I am MUCH more focused than in the dark ages before.

I've got to agree with you on that one, before I started poppin in here all the time, my collection was pretty much all over the place, and now I am slowly getting it down to a more focused collection. Also, CP is a great place to sell my extras, I don't really care much for fleabay anymore.

Here's my list:

1) Continue collecting schützenfest medals, cups and memorabilia

2) Attempt to obtain a couple more Texas commemorative halves

3) Increase my Morgan and Mercury collection

4) I have a few choice world coins that I'd like to send to PCGS or NGC to have graded

That's about it and I'll consider myself lucky if I do better than 50% :ninja:

For sure i hope to get these coins:

Russia:

25 kopeek 1894 KM#44 XF

50 kopeek 1894 XF

Greece:

1 drachma 1910 KM#60 XF

Japan:

5 sen 1875-1876 KM#22 XF

Chile:

1 peso 1910-1917 KM#152? XF

Albania:

5 lek 1939 XF

Finland:

500 markkaa 1952 XF

1000 markkaa 1960 XF

Lithuania:

10 Litai 1938 Smetona XF

i would like all coins at least XF

More Moldavian-Wallachian coins up to 100 (right now I have under 50...) to complete a study about die variants, weight differences per year.

More russian coins 1700-1927;

More romanian tokens;

More post WWI german notmunze;

More eye-catching designed coins from all over the world.

P.S. I must win at lottery!!!

Continue basic collection of everything/anything from 1789-1815

Figure out how to dispose of duplicates

More books, specifically the two volumes of Mitchiner I don't have

• 5 months later...

Halfway point. How are the collecting goals coming along? Any big successes, frustrations, and/or detours?

My only coin-related goals for the year have been to read, relax, and not get discouraged. Detailed goals are beyond my scope right now. I'm curious about how you more seasoned collectors are doing, though. :ninja:

2007 Goals:

1)Sadly, get the Presidential dollars started and P/D/S 2007 sets. (I'm a sucker for edge lettering)

2)Get a $20 liberty in MS-61-64 (not going to happen this year)

3)Get a 1794 large and half cent in AG/G (I love well worn coppers) (Not going to happen this year) Finish my large cent type set starting with 1794 (too poor for the 93's) (Got a 1795 large cent)

Start my half cent type set (Still possible)

4)Sell off about 1/3 of my coin collection, including all my duplicates. (Working on it)

5)Work on type set stuff as well as the random folders (Only working on folders this year)

6)Continue to hoard german currency pre 1950's (It's cheap, so no prob there)

7)Finish my Zambian note set 10,000 kwacha and up (Still need them, it will be this year though)

8)Sell the rest of my US currency (Took a 180º on this one, I am actively searching for all series of $1 notes 1899-current)

9)Upgrade my draped bust half to a fine or so (Not this year)

10)Get ANY 1795 (prefer the half or dollar though) silver coin in AG/G for under $350 (just missed one for $190 on ebay the other day :ninja: ) (Not this year)

I got a year, hopefully I'll complete at least half of the above....who knows. (I'm not doing well, lol)

Updates in green

My plans this year are/were :

1) Get the 1981 Susan B. Anthony Dollars (Can't get them here..)

2) Get Proof Silver Eagles at a low price (Working on it)

3) Get some Proofsets USA of the 70s (Well, hard to find them on the German eBay)

4) Complete my Kennedy Halves (Working on it, thanks to Jeff ;-) )

5) Get one roll of every presidential dollar (will be done/done)

6) Order the 2007 Uncirculated sets, Proofsets in Clad & Silver (will be done/done)

7) Get all 5 Proofsets produced 2007 from Germany (done)

8) Sell some US-coins (Working on it)

Marvin

I was just wondering these kinds of things to myself the other day, I'm surprised I missed this thread...

1) Finish 20th Century Type set (4 to go!)

2) Get p/d/s mint/proof sets 2007

3) Acquire 2007 ASE proof

4) Find a nice loupe

5) Begin investing in long-term to permanent coin storage (as of yet still undecided which brand/types of storage/display this will be)

6) Visit lots of flea markets and buy lots of books

7) Find and go to at least one coin show, I've been slacking out here in the middle of nowhere

Archived