CoinPeople.com

Ping gpnyc

syzygy

gpnyc, as I remember, you had one of these that was a PCI 5 winner. I'm curious as to your opinion on these two -

1450 (also on ebay starting for less) AU50

2450 MS61

I can't get either, but I want to!

If you're just interested in having an example, the AU50 would be the way to go for $1000 less. The MS61 looks like it has some nice frost yet the 61 grade leads me to believe the coin would not look so nice in hand. There must be some issues with this coin but its really hard to tell with the seller's scans. Steinbergs has great coins but lousy scans. Their prices are usually 10-20% above what you'd pay at auction. They do have a lay-away plan that might help you grab one of these.

If you're just interested in having an example, the AU50 would be the way to go for $1000 less. The MS61 looks like it has some nice frost yet the 61 grade leads me to believe the coin would not look so nice in hand. There must be some issues with this coin but its really hard to tell with the seller's scans. Steinbergs has great coins but lousy scans. Their prices are usually 10-20% above what you'd pay at auction. They do have a lay-away plan that might help you grab one of these.

Thanks. I did notice that the AU was priced even lower than I thought it would be next to the 61. I really would like to collect a complete set of this series (the copper, both silvers and the gold). It is a remarkably beautiful design albeit somewhat uniface. I have been watching some auctions when the silvers come up and suspect that there are quite a few replicas out there. This is the first time I have noticed the gold for sale and really thought the price would be higher.

Thanks. I did notice that the AU was priced even lower than I thought it would be next to the 61. I really would like to collect a complete set of this series (the copper, both silvers and the gold). It is a remarkably beautiful design albeit somewhat uniface. I have been watching some auctions when the silvers come up and suspect that there are quite a few replicas out there. This is the first time I have noticed the gold for sale and really thought the price would be higher.

I hear you on the "uniface" design. This is true for pretty much all Italian Kingdom coins. While the reverses can be spectacular, especially for the early 20th C. issues, the obverses are invariably the same old boring monarch profile.

There are indeed many replicas and I wouldn't recommend buying a raw 50 Lire gold or 5 Lire Silver. The replicas are quite good on these. The lower denominations are safe to buy unslabbed.

If I were not on the short leash from the 1799 Dollar purchase, I would be interested in the MS-61 specimen.

I am still looking for a nice red BU 1911 10 Cent also.

Curiously 1911 is a popular year for me, Russia and Italy produced unique coins that year.

Steinbergs is a great company to deal with if you're looking for world gold. You can usually get the price down if you ask. I have a coin on lay-away with them right now which I got at 90% of asking price.

Archived