CoinPeople.com

Some rambling scenes that I saw at a coin store

gxseries

Yesterday I was at a coin store and as usual, looking around to see if there were any great Russian coins. Unfortunately no, as I painfully wiped out more than half of it's Russian coin stocks - the only ones left were modern Soviet coins and little Imperial Russian coins which I have most of them.

Gold as usual are hard sellers and there were several people buying hundreds of dollars in hard cash ;) Most other world coins are getting expensive and I wasn't too interested in them. There were some buyers rummaging through the dollar coin junk lot but I didn't see anything interesting as most of them are world common circulating coins.

There was a Russian father and daughter that was strolling around the coin store and the dad picked up two gold coins. Not bad choices as they are the typical British souverigns (can never spell them right) and German gold marks. I was about to make some comments until he asked for a rare Hong Kong gold coin, the first Lunar gold coin minted for Hong Kong. Price tag: 1000+USD. ;)

What he did was to open the mint capsule and touched the proof gold coin with his bare hands!!! :ninja: Obviously the coin store manager wasn't too pleased with it and asked angrily if he is going to buy it. The buyer didn't hesistate to buy it ;) That obviously is out of my league.

That was a brief 20 mins in the coin store. Perhaps the only interesting coins that I saw were the Novgorod wire kopeks but that was priced bit too high for me to even afford it. There was a Swedish copper plate too but I can't quite remember what year and denomination it is. That's all for now I guess. ;)

There was a Russian father and daughter that was strolling around the coin store and the dad picked up two gold coins. Not bad choices as they are the typical British souverigns (can never spell them right) and German gold marks. I was about to make some comments until he asked for a rare Hong Kong gold coin, the first Lunar gold coin minted for Hong Kong. Price tag: 1000+USD. ;)

What he did was to open the mint capsule and touched the proof gold coin with his bare hands!!! :ninja: Obviously the coin store manager wasn't too pleased with it and asked angrily if he is going to buy it. The buyer didn't hesistate to buy it ;) That obviously is out of my league.

Ever notice in food stores how many people like to touch all the food? At an auto dealer people like to touch a new cars finish. Every sign that says WET PAINT has a few finger smears from idiots that just havae to touch. Go to an auto show and watch how many people try to touch a car with a $5,000 dollar paint job. People just like to touch things they are not supposed to touch. I've seen oh so many proof coins with finger prints on them.

. I've seen oh so many proof coins with finger prints on them.

Sometimes I prefer gold coins that way

Especially with a big photo showing the print is fresh

That way I get a 20% discount buying and only 15 minutes work with acetone :ninja:

Archived