CoinPeople.com

Coins as gifts

syzygy

Here are some inexpensive coin gifts that I have either given or would like to give – particularly good for the young collector or as a ‘seed’ gift to get someone started (notably US biased). These should all come in under $30 or so.

1. Any coin 100 years before their birth year (also 200, 300 or 400).

2. Sack of US cents (you know the coffee cans you have been collecting), salted with those wheaties you have been pulling out of circulation, if you like – and a couple old Lincoln folders.

3. Off center Lincoln cent – this is great for older non-collectors – the older you get, the better perspective you have on making mistakes.

4. Any nice late Roman Empire follis or denarius – but make sure you do a little interpretive write-up – maybe include a copy of an intro book.

Any one else have some good ones that worked out well?

Oh, and my own holiday wish list (in case you are feeling particularly generous :ninja: ):

1795 Flowing hair half dollar.

2006 Buffalo Gold piece.

Seated dollar.

Both T2 SBA dollars.

I've never seen any "work". People are either interested or they are not. But for those young enough where the interest has yet to spark I think the basic idea is to get something old, big, and at least somewhat attractive.

A common denarius, a really nice AE3, or any big hunks of world silver you can get for $20 or so

I did the "100 years before their birth" thing for some younger cousins. They loved it.

Another suggestion is those old Byzantine bronzes that can be picked up for $5 to $30 online or at coin shows. Those same cousins of mine received one of those for Christmas two years ago (from me, of course) and they are now full-fledged young numismatists.

or just do as they did to me (i am 15 a kid/teen) show them ur collection an teach them bout coin collectin and the fun of it an give them a few coins from a round the world to start with old ones will be gr8 but u have to be able to buy them alot for $30 instead of a few for $30.remember the more the better.

and as for my wish list

* any nice red brown cent possibly wheat.

* some nice state quarters.

* any nice error coin.(possibly american)

* any crapy old coin (i just love scannen coins i just got).

Options 1 and 2.

I've been a collector for almost 10 years and I don't have a coin any earlier than the early 19th C.

Option 2 is just plain fun to do during a movie or rainy day. Gets them looking in books.

My favourites...

For anyone

(Roman) Soldier spearing fallen horseman AE3 in F+

Silver dollar or other crown-sized piece from birth year

Something older from their homeland

For kids

Pile of older British pennies, preferably with a lot of Vicky.

A lot of older coins works pretty well for a new collector or trying to get someone into collecting. Some of my best numismatic related gifts that have been given to me include:

~1000 2x2's. You can never have enough

30 2x2 pages. Have to put the 2x2's in something right?

A roll of UNC San Fransico mint cents. Inexpensive and fun!

One of those Ebay "grab bag" specials. That way it's a surprise for both the receiver and giver. I see those "1lb of World Coin" lots going pretty cheap. Mostly junk but eh.

Various 19th century world coins. Grandparents got me those. Grandpa has a good eye :ninja:

There's so many different way to approach numismatic gift giving. If I were to get a YN a gift it would be a large bag of Wheat Cents and folders. That will get the collecting juices flowing and it's fun!

I've been buying the annual mint sets for my daughters because of the state quarters. They have a passing interest. If it doesn't eventually turn them to actual collecting on their own initative, they can always sell them. My wife gets the silver proof sets for her stocking. She's collecting state quarters from circulation and tolerates my collecting.

I suggested she might want to get the proof 64 Libertas Americana medal we saw recently ($25K) or the EF-45 one we saw at the same show ($15K). She laughed. I' not holding much hope for either one of those for Christmas!

Yes, if there is already a interest or if there is a tie in to something they are in to. My nephew-in-law has been showing an interest in coin collecting. So partial sets in books for him. My nieces widows mites since they are devote catholics and I asked their mom to tell them the story of the widow. Just that got the interest of one of the girls and she started asking about how things were minted. And a bunch of other questions.

• 2 weeks later...

My friend is a big hockey fan and I gave him the Canadian hockey sets when they first came out for Christmas. He absolutely loved them and as it turned out always had a closet interest in coins, so from here on out all Christmas and Birthday presents are hockey related coins. :ninja:

I will do Silver American Eagles, proof or unc depending on the event. They usually work out nicely. I've done some similar foreign coins for my other non US friends and that has worked well also. Plus if they are not interested it is easy to sell.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,

Capt-AWACS, Carpe Imperium

In Australia, since the Mint here is a crazy marketing freak, they actually do have something called "Baby proof coin set", which is just nothing more than proof coins in a special packaging and you can write the name of the baby that you intend for.

Not too bad for ideas really except I don't really want a set like this if it's second hand with someone's name on it. :ninja:

http://mintissue.ramint.gov.au/mintissue/p...asp?code=801419

I've yet to give coins or notes as gifts for this holiday season, but I have given the odd foreign coins and banknotes out for Hallowe'en trick or treaters (with a candy, too!) I make sure only to give them to kids old enough to know not to eat them, and to kids young enough to think it's something good (my trick). You should see theeir eyes when I put in a small candy wrapped with a Peruvian 100 Intis or other cheap note. The coins usually escape ID and I guess they think it is a quarter or somethign until they get home and check their stash and find foreign pesos, etc.

Christmas time would require a more intimate gift, and I am the only collector in my family and circle of friends, so I just get to buy for myself - which works out rather nice I must say.

I started collecting and trying to learn about coins because I found one that was 100 years older than my birth year, so I like the first suggestion.

I like to try to find coins that tie into someone's pre-existing interests. My brothers who are obsessed with turtles get turtle and tortoise coins, my history buff father gets items that tie into key dates/figures/occurrances, etc.

Archived