CoinPeople.com

another not so great seller on Ebay

IgorS

What amazes me the most is that this guy has 100% positive feedback. He is selling fake coins like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Russian-IMPERIAL-Coin-...1QQcmdZViewItem

I've seen these coins after they were received by buyers and they do not look good to me. They are very similar to the coins recently offered on Ebay by "korshun".

And this guy always has private auctions. How griddy or foolish can collectors be? :ninja:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What amazes me the most is that this guy has 100% positive feedback. He is selling fake coins like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Russian-IMPERIAL-Coin-...1QQcmdZViewItem

I've seen these coins after they were received by buyers and they do not look good to me. They are very similar to the coins recently offered on Ebay by "korshun".

And this guy always has private auctions. How griddy or foolish can collectors be? :ninja:

He has another poltina and a ruble all of Anna on ebay now. All 3 coins look like cast copies to me. ;)

This is one of the coins that I bought from him, but I can't quite remember what was the others that I might have bought:

This is his image, which I just cropped and combined together - no filters or whatsoever. (Usually, I wouldn't save a seller's picture unless something is wrong, unusual or the seller takes photos a lot better than what I can, which in this case, something is unusual.)

18122kxh1.png

Compared to what I have here at the moment, which isn't a great picture either since I have awful photographing skill:

915431.jpg

There is something going on here but I can't quite tell what it is. The colors are definately off as well as, because the seller might have scanned the coins, some details go unusually wrong, for example the right side of the double head eagle.

Perhaps, this is a sad excuse but I must admit that I haven't dared to buy any expensive coins from him or any British sellers because of the high British pound exchange rate.

You know what bothers me about ebay most? It is the fact that sellers do not have to leave feedback first. In my view when a buyer pays for their item they have obliged their part of the bargain and should then be left feedback. Most dodgy sellers hold their feedback back and I believe buyers are then scarred to leave negative feedback for these sellers incase they get a negative back. That is why you have so many scam artists on 100% feedback!

Which brings me to my ultimate point that the feedback system does not work correctly. eBay should remove negative feedback when it is incorrectly used. People should not be allowed to use a negative feedback where it is not due! I guess it would mean too much work for eBay to check queries, but they should! As I understand it once a feedback is left it can't be removed or changed. Only mutually withdrawn, but the comments are still left for people to see.

So you get a system which in princable sounds good, but really doesn't work properly. Where people are scarred to leave the truth! or they leave bad feedback out of spite, or because they didn't read the listing correctly.

By the way I still have 100% positive so I am not moaning, but these are the issues which I think need raising.

Why do you think 1733 rouble is a copy? Probably cleaned but looks ok to me

You might be right.

I just don't like the look of the surfaces or the overall appearance of the coins.

So, I'm staying away.

BTW, welcome to CoinPeople! :ninja:

I am just expressing my opinion. Sorry, I am not going into more details than that.

OK, so this guy is in UK - does not change anything for me.

The source of his coins is definitely not UK.

As I mentioned bifore, a few real (cheaper) coins are thrown into the mix for good measure.

If anyone on this forum bought silver coins from this guy, could you show some pictures?

I didn't buy from him but you can see feedbacks from some known people. BTW, what is your opinion about 1733?

Some of the known people are scratching their heads at this point while looking at their new coins, or will do so in the future. :ninja:

You already know my opinion. ;)

Here is one more "not so good seller" of Russian coins.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZnurlat2001QQhtZ-1

WCO

His comment –

"SORRY! I’m not coin expert! Don’t sure that the coin is 100% original"

is funny considering that some of his other coins are sent to grading services. More than 20 fakes are on his present eBay list, however. Maybe he "forgot" to send these in to be graded ?!?

RWJ

What makes to believe these are fakes?

WCO

Several things:

1. The seller would not respond to my EBay questions

2. The Eagle side of ALL three Russian gold coins presented for sale have very distinctive "fake" elements that I'm familiar with.

3. However, the biggest problem of these "coins" is the rim - once you see (and touch) the rim you will not be fooled.

NOTE: these coins were made in some quantity 2-3 years ago in this country. I do not want to go any further but if you're interested, give me a call.

Regards, LC

At one stage, I remember some gold poltinas were sold by some Chinese sellers and that was when I started to be quite weary of their counterfeit existance. I guess it would have been a matter of time that they would get sold popularly on ebay. These are amazingly high quality counterfeits... I need to have a database of original coins to compare them against with... :ninja:

LC,

I do not know if you noticed, but there are two 1779 Rubles and both are very different. Do you think both are not authentic? Is 1756 Two Rubles piece not authentic too on your opinion?

WCO

There are 1 rub 1779, 1/2 rub 1779 and 2 rub 1756 listed. The pictures are messed up, but IMHO all of them are fakes.

LC

Archived