CoinPeople.com

US government tries again to push the dollar coin

akdrv

WASHINGTON - The U.S. Mint is hoping America’s presidents will win acceptance, finally, for the maligned dollar coin.

The public will get the chance to decide starting in February when the first of the new coins, bearing the image of the first president, is introduced. George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson and James Madison are scheduled to grace the coin in 2007, with a different president appearing every three months.

The series will honor four different presidents per year, in the order they served in office. Each president will appear on only one coin, except for Grover Cleveland, who will be on two because he was the only president to serve nonconsecutive terms. To be depicted on a coin, a president must have been dead for at least two years.

http://business.bostonherald.com/businessN...rticleid=168210

The only way that Dollar coins will ever be accepted in the USA is if they do what the Canada did and stop making Dollar bills. Untell the US does that Americans will not accept a Dollar coin. Plain and simple.

I think that the availability of the dollar coin is a major issue. With the SAC, people were standing in line to get them and then the number they could get was limited -- so right away a collectible is born. I always went out of my way to get halves and dollars. I spend them for small purchases but mostly use them for tips. A lot of people have told me they will give them to their kids or that the kids collect them. It's like being a "Johnny Dollar Seed" for future generations of collectors.

Archived