CoinPeople.com

1974 Medal

BKB

I bought this medal for an obvious reason. :ninja: Do not know much about it. The only info I know is:

It was made on Paris Mint in 1974. It was a part of the series commemorating the coins of the world. There were copper medals (mintage 500 of each) and silver (mintage 250 each) The edge is a copy of that of poltina.

I am looking for any additional information.

Thank you for your help.

medal17201974alh7.jpg

Greetings. I am new to this forum. Lots of good stuff, especially exposing all the fakes out there. I had no idea the fakes were so good, and applaud your efforts.

Your medal caught my eye, and scared me at first, because i have this one, but comparing the two, i think i can relax. Thanks!

Greetings. I am new to this forum. Lots of good stuff, especially exposing all the fakes out there. I had no idea the fakes were so good, and applaud your efforts.

Your medal caught my eye, and scared me at first, because i have this one, but comparing the two, i think i can relax. Thanks!

I'm sorry :ninja: , but coin on the picture looks like not original

squirrel, I don't think it's original or a copy of a medal either. It's just a counterfeit. Hopefully you didn't pay a lot because such coins nowadays being a fair amount if they are original.

BKB, I'm curious. Can you explain how you managed to know the mintage figures as well as where and when it was minted? Or you happened to buy it back it was first released and got the certificate? :ninja:

what indicates that it is not original? It was purchased from a very well known New York dealer, at a coin show, 10 years ago... If i can figure out how to post a highr resolution file, i will , but seems limited. If this is a counterfeit, i would like to confront the dealer, and make his name known!

squirrel, I don't think it's original or a copy of a medal either. It's just a counterfeit. Hopefully you didn't pay a lot because such coins nowadays being a fair amount if they are original.

BKB, I'm curious. Can you explain how you managed to know the mintage figures as well as where and when it was minted? Or you happened to buy it back it was first released and got the certificate?

Perhaps a counterfeit but more likely what the poster says it is, a reproduction made for public sale. At the bottom of the reverse one can clearly read that this piece is No. 123 out of 500 [made].

No doubt some of these pieces have had the small reverse lettering carefully removed and then sold as originals or novodels.

RWJ

BKB, I'm curious. Can you explain how you managed to know the mintage figures as well as where and when it was minted? Or you happened to buy it back it was first released and got the certificate? :ninja:

The mintage figures for this particilar coin is indicated on the coin itself. There is engraving on the very edge that goes like this:

"fish" stamp , then "cuivre" then 1974 then N 123/500

This gives us Paris mint, 1974, and 500 total mintage.

The rest of the info I got from the dealer who sold it to me.

squirrel, your Ruble is very different from NY sales coin (lot 1099). Do you have better pictures of your coin plus better pictures of its edge? I suggest you start another thread and post high resolution pictures of all your coins in question.

WCO

Perhaps a counterfeit but more likely what the poster says it is, a reproduction made for public sale. At the bottom of the reverse one can clearly read that this piece is No. 123 out of 500 [made].

No doubt some of these pieces have had the small reverse lettering carefully removed and then sold as originals or novodels.

RWJ

I am sorry for not providing all the information. The diameter is 68 mm and the material is copper. This makes it hard to pass for a real poltina.

what indicates that it is not original? It was purchased from a very well known New York dealer, at a coin show, 10 years ago... If i can figure out how to post a highr resolution file, i will , but seems limited. If this is a counterfeit, i would like to confront the dealer, and make his name known!

Dear squirrel,

I can recommend send rouble to NGC for authencity of the coin before you contact the dealer.

These are some of my other Peter (1 &2) from my collection.

The poltina and grivennik are from same dealer as my 1720 ruble. The grivennik was claimed to be a novodel.

thanks..

Ruble ,Poltina and novodel Grivennik looks fine to me on the picture,as authencity coins .Kopeck image is too small .

Archived