CoinPeople.com

NGC Signature Set

Art

I've been toying with the ideas for an NGC Signature Set. I've kicked around the Birth Year set idea -- a good one. My kids and grandkid's birthyears - a set of some particular coin like a half dollar from each year. A set of specialty slabs - I have a few from NGC. Things like ANA Coins in the Classroom commemorative.

Here's what I'm thinking.

A Wedding Anniversary Year Commemorative Set.

Goes like this.

Anniversary 1 - 4 - 1 cent piece from the subject year

Anniversary 5 - 9 - 5 cent piece from the year

Anniversary 10 - 24 -- 10 cent piece from the year

... etc.

Don't think I have to worry much about dollar coins....

Any ideas, improvements, thoughts, .........

Art's Wedding Anniversary Signature Set

I've got my set started. I've sort of moved away from my original date usage idea, but as I get the coins to fill in I'll go back to it. I wanted to use a coin from the correct year for each anniversary but I'm a little short on coins to fill this in right now. I do have coins for 2003 and 2004 but haven't gotten that far yet.

You need pics of the coins, Art!

I agree. I'm going to start some pics as soon as the Thanksgiving Weekend rush is over. Most of the coins posted are place holders and will be replaced in the near future with coins that match the years.

I knew nothing of the NGC Signature Sets. Pretty interesting.

Signature sets are a great place to display your coins. Like a registry set but without the points and competition aspect that turn many collectors off.

One of my sig sets:

http://www.collectors-society.com/registry...CollectionID=44

Signature sets are a great place to display your coins. Like a registry set but without the points and competition aspect that turn many collectors off.

One of my sig sets:

http://www.collectors-society.com/registry...CollectionID=44

congrats on winning the 2005 Sig Set award! nice set you have going there!

Doug

congrats on winning the 2005 Sig Set award! nice set you have going there!

Doug

I love the Signature Set idea. Here is my World Gold set. It is certainly a work in progress, as only have a few of my collection listed. I've been too lazy as of late to get to the rest of them. I like having the variety of choices, and deciding how I want to set up the set. I highly recommend NGC's Sig Sets.

http://www.collectors-society.com/registry...ollectionID=605

That's a nice gold set. I'm starting to enjoy the Signature Set idea more and more. In fact I've come up with a few other ideas for sets. Unfortunately most of my coins are not slabbed. So I have a long acquisition/trade/slab process before my set is even close to complete.

So if I wanted to do a Signature Set featuring coins with butterflies on them from various countries I could do so?

If I can.....I got the perfect idea for me.

Absolutely. For coins to be entered they must be graded/slabbed by NGC or NCS or PCGS. You define the number of coins and the descriptions and such.

Can you always add more coins? Like if I start the set with 15 coins and suddenly find 5 more to add.

I couldn't begin to imagine the number of coins with fish on them (that will be my theme). With fish keeping being my second favorite hobby, it's a great way to tie them together.

Can you always add more coins? Like if I start the set with 15 coins and suddenly find 5 more to add.

I couldn't begin to imagine the number of coins with fish on them (that will be my theme). With fish keeping being my second favorite hobby, it's a great way to tie them together.

As far as I know there's no limit to the number of coins you can have in the set.

As far as I know there's no limit to the number of coins you can have in the set.

That is true, though I've found that larger sets sometimes can be problematic with the host server. I used to have constant problems with updating my large Sig Set. The site would time out on me, updates would not take, etc. These issues seem to have been resolved in the last six months or so.

Updating the large set still takes too much time though. At the risk of further hijacking of Art's thread, here's the linky to the large set in question:

Traditional Coin Designs of The United States

I love the Signature Set idea. Here is my World Gold set. It is certainly a work in progress, as only have a few of my collection listed. I've been too lazy as of late to get to the rest of them. I like having the variety of choices, and deciding how I want to set up the set. I highly recommend NGC's Sig Sets.

http://www.collectors-society.com/registry...ollectionID=605

That's a nice set! Lots of room to grow. I used to have a similar set, though it was limited to Europe, Australia and North America. I had to give it up in order to pursue my US collection. I love the "Gallery" view in Signature Sets. Really presents a set nicely, assuming there are pics uploaded.

Very nice sets. I started a Registry Set - US Type Set. I have a few coins for that one. Mostly PCGS and no pics yet. But I'll get the pics for both this new set and my registry set going pretty quickly.

These sets are addicting so get ready. I had my NGC US Type Set at 99% complete at one point. I believe it was the #9 set. It has since fallen in the rankings as I've shifted my focus from a complete set to a 1793-1933 set.

• 1 month later...

I looked around at FUN for common moderns in NGC holders for my Signature Anniversary Set and found almost nothing that I felt I could afford. I'm not looking to spend much money on this set - just a fun thing. I had a discussion with Dan about it and had decided that the way to go was bulk submission of my own coins. Afterall the cheapest normal submission would cost about $10 per coin plus the postage and handling costs - and of course the cost of the coins.

Well on this big football Sunday, there was a fellow on ebay who had a nice run of Roosevelt dimes - all PF69 Ultra Cameo and all NGC. They were going for some pretty low prices and there wasn't a whole lot of bidding going on. So I took the plunge. I ended up with a run of 14 beautiful Roos. My average cost per coin, including shipping, was $5.90.

What a deal.

These sets are addicting so get ready. I had my NGC US Type Set at 99% complete at one point. I believe it was the #9 set. It has since fallen in the rankings as I've shifted my focus from a complete set to a 1793-1933 set.

Yes, they are totally addicting. I now have a US Type Set going as well as my Signature Set. The Type set is a regular Registry Set.

Archived