CoinPeople.com

Greetings from Houston's Heavy-Metal Werewolf and AVID coin collector

Howdy all!

I go by the name "Sylverwolfe" or "Skylar Husky." I am a Coin Collector living in Houston, Texas. Believe it or not I found out about this site after I bought some Silver coins from a local Houston coin dealer. I went online to look up their masses and basically see if I could find their values which were more detailled than what is presented in Krause Publications' Book World Coin Prices. 1901 to Present. 2005 Ed It began with wanting to find the mass wieght and purity of a Russian Rouble I have dated 1898. I admit I have quite an affinity for calculating purities of coins, precious metals and jewelry. I am a chemist so naturally I have my littany of reasons. LONG STORY SHORT; while I was looking online I found a link to this forum and decided once my time merited, I would join.

In case you might be wondering...The photos in my avatar and personal photo are of me, or rather of me inside my wolf and husky costumes. I like to be silly inside an aniimal costume since I was a bit of a failed mascot.

At the risk of typing you all to death I will lurk and await your questions..

It was hard being a coin collector in Houston. The only good coin shop was Houston Numismatic Exchange in Times Blvd, and it was a long drive away. There were no coin clubs and after moving there from the Left Coast it just didn't seem coin friendly.

Adn there are many coins with wolves, particularly in Canada, think 25¢ coin from 1967 Centennial, and many others.

Welcome. I think you'll enjoy yourself here. Nice costumes. :ninja:

Thank you Art. I think I will. I have collected coins since I was like 9 yrs old. I am 27 now.

*Towards ScottishMoney*

I don't really go to any true dealer per se. I just see a friend that collects and sells them in a flea market. He has been selling me coins for most of my life. The man is a Chemical Engineer at Exxon and he sells the coins in his free time on the weekends. He has supplied me with some really nice errored pieces and some really rare coins / notes as well.

There was a shop in a Mall in Sharpstown (A small community in SW Houston.) Then there was a man on Westpark Drive that owned a coin store. Lastly there is a guy in Rice village that boasts Silver Pieces of Eight coins of pirate lore.

The one you listed I am not familiar with that one. As for no clubs...I am not surprised. There are not many clubs for the things I am into anyway.

It was hard being a coin collector in Houston. The only good coin shop was Houston Numismatic Exchange in Times Blvd, and it was a long drive away. There were no coin clubs and after moving there from the Left Coast it just didn't seem coin friendly.

Adn there are many coins with wolves, particularly in Canada, think 25¢ coin from 1967 Centennial, and many others.

amen to that, I am also in Houston and I know of only one shop. There is one off of I-10 close to where it intersects the beltway that I go to here and there...its at an antique mall. And like you say, I have to drive quite a way to get to it as I life out ways in around Katy and I-10 is just painfull to drive on. I will have to look up this one you mention. Though I have lived here most of my life and am used to this fact and that I just buy what I can find where I find it, a show here and there, that one shop and online.

BTW...Welcome fellow houstonian heavy-metal werewolf ;):ninja:

I had it worse, I lived in Kingwood in the northeastern corner of Houston Megolopolis.

Here is the site for HNEX:

Houston Numismatic Exchange

I haven't been there since about 1997, but they had very high end coins and I bought this there:

1794.jpg

There used to be an annual show at the Adams Mark Hotel in the Galleria area, I went once or twice, mostly to buy Russian material, which of course was hard to find there. I believe it was put on by the Pasadena Coin Club.

Welcome to coinpeople! :ninja:

If you are ever in San Antonio, there are at least two good coin shops: Alamo Coins and Lone Star Coins. I have bought coins from both of them before and they have a fairly large selection, especially the bigger store Lone Star Coins.

There is an eBay seller "garthclarkdr" who is located in Humble, TX (I believe that is also his real name ... Garth Clark.) He has been offering mostly world coins on eBay, and just recently he had some very nice 5 kopek coins of Catherine II for sale. Since Humble is fairly close to Houston (I grew up in Lake Jackson/Freeport, so I know about where Humble is ;) ) maybe you could look him up. Don't know if he has a store location, though.

If you are ever in San Antonio, there are at least two good coin shops: Alamo Coins and Lone Star Coins. I have bought coins from both of them before and they have a fairly large selection, especially the bigger store Lone Star Coins.

There is an eBay seller "garthclarkdr" who is located in Humble, TX (I believe that is also his real name ... Garth Clark.) He has been offering mostly world coins on eBay, and just recently he had some very nice 5 kopek coins of Catherine II for sale. Since Humble is fairly close to Houston (I grew up in Lake Jackson/Freeport, so I know about where Humble is ;) ) maybe you could look him up. Don't know if he has a store location, though.

There was a pretty good coin shop in Humble that was run by a husband and wife team, they packed up shop and moved to downtown Houston in the Underground Mall there, but went out of business I think in the late 1990's. I cannot remember their names off the top of my head now, but I remember he was also a postal carrier in Kingwood.

I had it worse, I lived in Kingwood in the northeastern corner of Houston Megolopolis.

I haven't been there since about 1997, but they had very high end coins and I bought this there:

1794.jpg

There used to be an annual show at the Adams Mark Hotel in the Galleria area, I went once or twice, mostly to buy Russian material, which of course was hard to find there. I believe it was put on by the Pasadena Coin Club.

shame they dont show more of what they offer online and those ancient coins in pendants...dont get me started :ninja: but it looks promising though maybe beyond my means...I might make a trip out to see what they have on site. Thanks

outstanding coin BTW...

Kind of a funny shop, they are rather old fashioned, mostly older gentlemen working there. When I was there they had "Crutch" Williams working for them, he is now a well known dealer in Confederate and Texas paper money.

The cent had just come in on a Penny board from the 1930's there was even a nice 1793, but the 1794 was in better grade so I bought it. I just wisht I could have bought the whole board and all the large cents.

Within a block of the coin shop was a model railroad store, where I parted with more dollars, and down another block was an awesome book store where my then girlfriend, now wife, parted with her money.

amen to that, I am also in Houston and I know of only one shop. There is one off of I-10 close to where it intersects the beltway that I go to here and there...its at an antique mall. And like you say, I have to drive quite a way to get to it as I life out ways in around Katy and I-10 is just painfull to drive on. I will have to look up this one you mention. Though I have lived here most of my life and am used to this fact and that I just buy what I can find where I find it, a show here and there, that one shop and online.

BTW...Welcome fellow houstonian heavy-metal werewolf ;):ninja:

WOW!! Is that Feller still out there at that mall?!! I haven't set "paw" in that mall for about 20 years! I cannot believe he is still there. SWEET!!!

The Place I know of is called the Trading Fair II it is off of 610 at the Crestmont Exit. The man I know is named Leo. He has sold coins there for YEARS! All you would have to do is meantion Jon, the guy who has bought coins for about 20 years and he would know who I am!!!

Oh Yeah? Wow! So many Houston Coin Dealers. There were some really neat guys who had a shop on Westpark near Jeanetta. I had seen them for about 8 years. I think the Westpark Toll Road and the construction put them out of business.

OH BTW, SWEET Russian Rouble Icon! Is that one of your coins??? I have an 1898 Russian Rouble but no where near that great of condition!

Garth Clark...Well...I will have to look. Right Now I would LOVE to get my paws on a Spanish Milled Dollar (Pieces of eight coin.)

Welcome!

Avoid the place in Rice Village at all costs. Ripoff central in my humble but always correct opinion.

There was a good place off of the far western edge of Westheimer, at least I always got good prices buying and selling but haven't been back to that shop in a while not sure if it is still there. Also used to be a good shop in Clear Lake but it moved and I don't know where. The shows are usually nice.

Enjoy the forum.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,

Capt-AWACS, Actions speak louder than Bumperstickers

1794.jpg

WOW! What a Piece! I haven't got one that old! I have a Quarter from 1808 though. It comes close. You got that from the people at Houston Numismatic Exchange...I will have to look them up.

Welcome!

Avoid the place in Rice Village at all costs. Ripoff central in my humble but always correct opinion.

There was a good place off of the far western edge of Westheimer, at least I always got good prices buying and selling but haven't been back to that shop in a while not sure if it is still there. Also used to be a good shop in Clear Lake but it moved and I don't know where. The shows are usually nice.

Enjoy the forum.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,

Capt-AWACS, Actions speak louder than Bumperstickers

Yeah I have seen their website. They want a fortune for anything there. But then consider where they're at...Rice Village. I agree. They have what they call "Silver Cobs" but you cannot touch one for less than three hundred dollars there. The coin my mother bought from the Intergem Gem and Jewelry show was less than that! My mother bought me a Pieces of eight from a shipwreck about three years ago. I opened that Christmas Day and I was moved to tears over it!!!

Archived