CoinPeople.com

new uk euro proof set out soon!

roaddevil

Pattern or prototype coins have always been a vital feature of numismatics - often achieving high values with the passage of time.

A collectors set of specimen/proof coins anticipating United Kingdom and Denmark coinage changes.

As Britain prepares itself for the momentous step of joining the euro currency a splendid pattern coin set has been commissioned. The pattern set contains coin size and composition as those currently circulating in the eurozone nations.

The UK issues have been accepted with tremendous success. Within the near future pattern sets will be commissioned for Denmark. :ninja:

anset.JPG

I obviously missed something. I was under the impression that the U.K. was staying with its current decimal system rather than going to the Euro. If this change to the Euro is true, I won't be collecting them. I much prefer traditional British coinage :ninja:

If this change to the Euro is true

No, it's not. The UK does not have anything to do with the euro, and those "patterns" are in no way official issues. But quite a few of those fantasy pieces were made by or on behalf of UK based companies such as the INA. They also offer "Andorran patterns", "Swedish patterns", and so on.

This guy http://ret001qm.eresmas.net/eu-ingle.htm has an amazing collection of such medals. Some are actually nicely designed, others ... oh well. I just wonder who, either here in Euroland or in other countries, would possibly buy such things. :ninja:

Christian

All are junque in my opinion.

Yep, and quite expensive at that. By the way, that "Danish" set that roaddevil mentioned can be viewed here: http://www.eurocoins.co.uk/denmark.html

There is nothing wrong with such fantasy designs: What could certain coins (that never existed) have looked like? Guess I would not be willing to spend much on such pieces, but others may have different opinions. What I find a little problematic is when a dealer or "numismatic agency" promotes such issues as if they were government endorsed in any way ...

Christian

That image says that's the 2002 set.

The UK seem to be the only country to have had more than one set they have had a set in 2002, 2003 & 2006. I own the 2003 & 2006 sets and the 1ec, 5ec, 10ec, 20ec, 50ec & 2 Euro coins from the 2002 set.

Is there going to be a 2007 set?

The UK seem to be the only country to have had more than one set they have had a set in 2002, 2003 & 2006. I own the 2003 & 2006 sets and the 1ec, 5ec, 10ec, 20ec, 50ec & 2 Euro coins from the 2002 set.

Seems that is a misunderstanding; the UK is not part of the euro currency union and has never issued any € coins, notes or sets. There are some businesses (in the UK, in Switzerland and a few other countries) that make/issue medals which to some extent resemble euro coins and show names of many different countries/regions. There are even issues "for" (French) Brittany/Bretagne or (Spanish) Balearic Islands/Balears. :ninja: Whether those companies will make any in 2007 I don't know. But those sets are IMO a little pricy anyway ...

Christian

Seems that is a misunderstanding; the UK is not part of the euro currency union and has never issued any € coins, notes or sets. There are some businesses (in the UK, in Switzerland and a few other countries) that make/issue medals which to some extent resemble euro coins and show names of many different countries/regions. There are even issues "for" (French) Brittany/Bretagne or (Spanish) Balearic Islands/Balears. :ninja: Whether those companies will make any in 2007 I don't know. But those sets are IMO a little pricy anyway ...

Christian

Oh I know they are only pattern coins, I'm from the UK afterall, but just interested to see where they will go with the designs from here. The original INA designs for UK, Denmark & Sweden were good as are some of their later designs especially the simular designs to the actual planned coins for the new member states. The Northern Ireland set looks quite good as well although I don't think this is a INA design

However one thing about the pattern is thta there are quite a few dodgy ones especially for countries that are highly unlikely to join the Euro.

As I posted in another thread about 5 minutes ago I DON'T think Elizabeth II will ever appear on the Euro & I don't think Charles will if he is next on the throne. However when It's William's turn then he might but that is at least 10 years away yet

One time I saw an interesting "pattern" piece with a Swiss theme, featuring a Toblerone chocolate bar. Now that looked good to me. :ninja:

Some others are quite poor indeed. Guess that most of them were issued in 2002/2003 when quite a few people started collecting pretty much everything that vaguely resembled a euro coin.

Those INA sets (the ones that I have seen) are nicely designed and executed, but from my POV they are in the same category as "coins that could have been" mentioned here before, or "coins" from non-existing countries. Everybody may collect what s/he wants, of course, but I for one am not into them ...

Christian

I really hope we don't adopt the Euro, British coins have so much history in their own right.

To be honest Britain seems to have one foot in the European Union and one out, but we are still governed by a lot of their laws (many which are a farce in my opinion). Besides The Uk has always managed well on our own I can't really see the point in fully joining the EU. I don' think we should fall out with our European friends but we could still get along without joining.

The only way the Eu would work in my opinion is to lift all the borders and have one priminister or president in charge of the whole of Europe and change our name to Europe, that’s it any less and it won't work their will always be arguments amongst leaders and different countries.

Will try and not make many political comments in this forum, but just as the UK was not forced into the EEC and later the EU, the UK may leave any time the country wants to. As for coins, from a euro collector's point of view, I fully agree. We would probably have to make monetary agreements then ... with the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man and who-knows-what-else. It's bad enough with MC/SM/VA now, but that would be disastrous. :ninja:

Christian

Will try and not make many political comments in this forum, but just as the UK was not forced into the EEC and later the EU, the UK may leave any time the country wants to. As for coins, from a euro collector's point of view, I fully agree. We would probably have to make monetary agreements then ... with the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man and who-knows-what-else. It's bad enough with MC/SM/VA now, but that would be disastrous. :ninja:

Christian

Patterns for Wales, Northern Ireland, Jersey, Guernsey, Isle Of Man, Alderney, Gibraltar, Falkland Islands & St Helena & Ascention Islands already exists. Wales is the only one I have seen of poor quality mainly as it wasn't made by the same people as the rest in the list.

The worst quality ones seem to be for countries that will most probably never get the Euro (Turkey, Russia, Etc.)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Aidan Work
Pattern or prototype coins have always been a vital feature of numismatics - often achieving high values with the passage of time.

A collectors set of specimen/proof coins anticipating United Kingdom and Denmark coinage changes.

As Britain prepares itself for the momentous step of joining the euro currency a splendid pattern coin set has been commissioned. The pattern set contains coin size and composition as those currently circulating in the eurozone nations.

The UK issues have been accepted with tremendous success. Within the near future pattern sets will be commissioned for Denmark. :ninja:

The private pattern Euro coins are listed in Krause's 'Unusual World Coins' catalogue.They are of interest to me.

Aidan.

Guest Aidan Work
Patterns for Wales, Northern Ireland, Jersey, Guernsey, Isle Of Man, Alderney, Gibraltar, Falkland Islands & St Helena & Ascention Islands already exists. Wales is the only one I have seen of poor quality mainly as it wasn't made by the same people as the rest in the list.

The worst quality ones seem to be for countries that will most probably never get the Euro (Turkey, Russia, Etc.)

Johnny,there were also private pattern Euro coins for Cyprus & Malta as well.Ireland also had a private pattern series.St. Helena has had a series of private pattern coins,as did the Isle of Wight,of all places! Ascension did not have a series.

You can buy Krause's 'Unusual World Coins' catalogue here; http://www.amazon.com or here; http://www.krausebooks.com .

There is a section called 'Private pattern ECUs & Euros from British Commonwealth countries' in another area of the board.

Aidan.

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully in my lifetime there won`t be any Euro`s with a British Monarch`s head on.

Get Britania out of retirement to guard our Island against Brussels and it`s rulings, if need be

re-open Kings Norton and Heaton and mass produce half crowns, florins, shillings, tanners, etc.

Enough said. :ninja:

Archived