CoinPeople.com

IS 1970 USSR Set really Expensive? Please Help

GHV

Hello People, hope everybody doing well,

Please help me with that, is 1970 USSR 9 Coins Mint Set (Proof Like) is Really expensive? How much it can worth?

I know some coins as 15, 20, 5, 50 copek really scarce in catalogs, but how much ???

thank you very much for help :ninja:

G

I don't remember seeing a 1970 set on ebay or I must have been blind. The hot ones currently seems to be sheet style of 1964 and 1973 but 1970 might be in there. It seems that the earlier hard cased Soviet coin sets are getting quite expensive these days.

Is yours in a sheet or in a hard plastic case?

Welcome to coinpeople by the way.

WCO, what reference would you recommand for Soviet coins related catalogue?

Main catalogs for Soviet Era coins are:

1. Fedorin catalogue (Федорин, Монеты страны советов, 2 изд.)

2. Schelokov Catalogue (Щелоков А.А. Монеты СССР)

3. As a quick reference Konros brochure may be useful.

4. All varieties are listed well in Adrianov books:

a. Ярослав Адрианов "Монеты советского государства и современной России"

b. Ярослав Адрианов "Русские монеты 1700-2000 годов"

(I like those much but they are rarely used due to scarcity of the books I guess).

Best,

WCO

Doh - I wish I can get hold of them. Can one send books from Russia (I believe those are printed over 1950s?) or they are banned from sending overseas like coins? (I really hope not) - wait I don't even know WHERE to get them from.

Thanks WCO. :ninja:

No problem to send modern books from Russia, you can even buy them on the Internet with your credit card. The problem is that they may be all sold out a long ago.

WCO

WCO, would you happen to know any online Russian book store that you can personally recommand or anyone that has recommanded to you before? I was thinking of Moneti i medali http://www.numismat.ru as they have three different Federov books that I am quite interested in. I'm sure it's a large numismatic company in Russia but I have no idea if they accept orders from overseas. (as well as my Russian is getting very rusty) If anyone has experience ordering from them overseas, please do tell me!

(And sorry for hijacking this thread)

1970 set is the rarest among all sets 1957-1991.

It should worth somewhere around $200-300.

1970 15 and 5 Kopecks are key dates in their series. 20 Kopecks is second rarest (semi-key).

WCO

Hi WCO, thank you for your helpfull info.

I had approximetly same kind of information, when i look at some web site, and 1970 set was most expencive.

there is some other Set as 1973 (20 kop) and 1976 (20 kop) rare too. but in 1970 there is couple not only one and several coins (15, 5, 20,) very rare.

WCO, what do you think those coins (15,5,20) better to sell in original package or NGC graded?

I saw some action in Russian this Set sold out for $500-600 is it possible? Could be this set such RARE?

Probably real price much more?

I could be wrong, this is just Info.

Thank You again for your Help,

WCO, would you happen to know any online Russian book store that you can personally recommand or anyone that has recommanded to you before? I was thinking of Moneti i medali http://www.numismat.ru as they have three different Federov books that I am quite interested in. I'm sure it's a large numismatic company in Russia but I have no idea if they accept orders from overseas. (as well as my Russian is getting very rusty) If anyone has experience ordering from them overseas, please do tell me!

I recommened buying same books in the U.S. since they are often available. Dm. Markov sells them, look it here (partial list, not updated for a long time): http://russian-coins.net/, or better contact him, most likely he has most of the books you want to buy.

WCO

Hi WCO, thank you for your helpfull info.

I had approximetly same kind of information, when i look at some web site, and 1970 set was most expencive.

there is some other Set as 1973 (20 kop) and 1976 (20 kop) rare too. but in 1970 there is couple not only one and several coins (15, 5, 20,) very rare.

WCO, what do you think those coins (15,5,20) better to sell in original package or NGC graded?

I saw some action in Russian this Set sold out for $500-600 is it possible? Could be this set such RARE?

Probably real price much more?

I could be wrong, this is just Info.

Thank You again for your Help,

I do not know how to sell better, NGC graded 3 rare coins (taken out of the set) or as an original set. I can believe such a set brought once $500 or even $600 but think it's too much. This set is not THAT rare after all. Just key date set and in demand.

WCO

I do not know how to sell better, NGC graded 3 rare coins (taken out of the set) or as an original set. I can believe such a set brought once $500 or even $600 but think it's too much. This set is not THAT rare after all. Just key date set and in demand.

WCO

WCO, and do you know why this Date so expencive, coz of low mintage or? do you have any idea about mintage of this set?

thanks,

WCO, and do you know why this Date so expencive, coz of low mintage or? do you have any idea about mintage of this set?

thanks,

Do not know the mintage figures for the set (do not want to dig into the books may be there is some info somewhere), but what it looks to me is that popularity of the set and therefore very high price may be due to the fact that several coins in the set were never found in circulation (eather a very small quantity was released to circulation or none at all). So you could complete 1961-1991 USSR series from coins taken from circulation, but several 1970 coins would be missing and the only source for them would be such a set.

WCO

Do not know the mintage figures for the set (do not want to dig into the books may be there is some info somewhere), but what it looks to me is that popularity of the set and therefore very high price may be due to the fact that several coins in the set were never found in circulation (eather a very small quantity was released to circulation or none at all). So you could complete 1961-1991 USSR series from coins taken from circulation, but several 1970 coins would be missing and the only source for them is such a set.

WCO

WCO, thanks again for your replies, always appreciate your professional explanations, :ninja:

Regards,

Books are not forbidden for sending out of Russia. Paying for them might be a challenge.

I also know a guy in Russia who sells Russian numismatic books on CD-ROM or DVD. I am not sure if he is 100 per cent compliant with Russian intellectual property laws, but his stock is impressive and prices are dirt cheap. Shipping was prompt and packaging good. If interested, PM for his website address.

Archived