CoinPeople.com

Seasonal Giveaway

OK! Peeple!

Rotten Rodney wins the Thruppence ;)

crzy3by comes second and gets the Tanner :ninja:

Here follows a potted history. Those not interested switch forums now! ;)

I volunteered for a Royal Airforce Apprenticeship on my 15th birthday 5th July 1945 (damn it I missed the war! ;) )

I took the entrance examination in November of that year, with 500 others, and passed! (only just. Only 60 were accepted and I came 53rd)

I was called up 23rd April 1946, when I was attested and "took the King's shilling". No, not a real shilling, it was only a symbolic saying. Anyway, I'd have spent it the next day!

So The enlistment date was 23rd April 1946.

I think what threw most of you was the fact that UK forces accepted men from the age of 15 and a half years old. These special schemes were in place since 1918.

End of history.

If Rotten Rodney and crzy3by would PM me, I'll get the coins on the way.

I enjoyed this and hope you did too! ;)

Coingratulations to the winners.

Cannot imagine being in the service at 15.5 years. ;)

Congrats guys!

At 15.5 I was in 9th grade, I think I would have gone nuts in the military at that age, no discipline, long hair (which I still have), and a strong distrust/dislike of authority. Amazing how 8 years or so changes your attitude! :ninja:

Congrats guys!

At 15.5 I was in 9th grade, I think I would have gone nuts in the military at that age, no discipline, long hair (which I still have), and a strong distrust/dislike of authority. Amazing how 8 years or so changes your attitude! :ninja:

I think a lot of peple HAVEN'T changed? ;)

I enjoyed teasing you people and may have another go at a later date!

Archived