CoinPeople.com

New Mint set..

Tiffibunny

Since I don't know if everyone got to see it.  I did a finish comparison with the only 2 regular US circulation issues I had for 2005.

gallery_18_5_55159.jpg

You decide which is which.

The ones on the right are the new satin finish coins. That's my story, and I am sticking with it.

Updated with more comparisons as promised.  See the SAC is actually a different color because of the new finish.  To me it is the most noticeable of all of them.

WoW!

I have been waiting for my set (was reportedly shipped 11 days ago) and was expecting them to be much more distinguishable from regular buisness strikes. Where's the satin? Looks like the left side coins are the new mint sets (at least they seem to have fewer nicks for the sac and ken), but there is not a big difference from what I can see. Can you easily tell in rl?

WoW!

I have been waiting for my set (was reportedly shipped 11 days ago) and was expecting them to be much more distinguishable from regular buisness strikes.  Where's the satin?  Looks like the left side coins are the new mint sets (at least they seem to have fewer nicks for the sac and ken), but there is not a big difference from what I can see.  Can you easily tell in rl?

In my opinion the only one you can easily tell without putting a regular strike next to it, is the SAC. The other ones not so much.

But the question remains, will there be any premium of single mint set coins compared to the regular business strikes?

I have noticed that the satin finish coins seem slightly darker and lack the luster that a coin fresh from a roll has. The satin coin fields are impressive, but I feel the business strike coins are more flashy. Just my opinion.

David

In my opinion the only one you can easily tell without putting a regular strike next to it, is the SAC.  The other ones not so much.

I just got mine today. Definitely a subtle difference but there nonetheless. I had thought that they would be much like the SAE or Marshall dollar, but no way. The finish is in that direction, but much less pronounced. To me it is most distinguishable on the Kennedy. Also on the fields of the quarters, especially the Kansas bison. I don't have a clean MS SAC for direct comparison. I am especially happy that the Jeffersons are in *much* better shape than any of the ones from bank rolls that I looked at.

• 5 months later...
I just got mine today.  Definitely a subtle difference but there nonetheless.  I had thought that they would be much like the SAE or Marshall dollar, but no way.  The finish is in that direction, but much less pronounced. 

I finally received mine yesterday. I agree that the difference is very subtle, at least with the coins in the set I received. Had I not known about this before hand, I do not think I would have noticed the difference very easily.

To me it is most distinguishable on the Kennedy.  ...

The 2 Kennedy's in my set look like they were pulled out of a cash register! :ninja:

With the set I have, the most notably different coins are the dimes.

They look absolutely brilliant!!

The dollars have a smoother look to them and the design on the nickels look much sharper.